• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 ctec-2 800 performance

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
First off great forum, I was just wondering how these motors compare to the other brand 800's? All I see on the internet with HP numbers about the other motors and how they say AC motor HP is not what they advertise. I have a 2019 AC 800 sitting in the garage waiting to ride coming off a 2017 AC.
Both High Country's. My guess is there is only a handful of you guys that are able to ride a 2019 right now. Any difference? I guess my question is how are these motors in the real world and not what I read about dyno pulls?
Thanks

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Lowest rating on the Dyno's.

On the hill the Cat is an animal. The power transmission is what does it. Killer track, clutching and power delivery makes it feel a lot more powerful then the dyno says. The roll out/takeoff feels dang near electric. Massive improvement over the older stuff.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
My '18 MC kills my '17 MC in uphill drag comparison...frankly, I was shocked by the difference. Definitely a significant improvement. Hope we get the longevity of the Suzuki with this new motor. That means a lot and kept me with Cat in spite of other weaknesses. I didn't see nearly the difference between the 850 Poo and 800 Poo when we ran them side by side. Guess we'll see soon enough.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
My '18 MC kills my '17 MC in uphill drag comparison...frankly, I was shocked by the difference. Definitely a significant improvement. Hope we get the longevity of the Suzuki with this new motor. That means a lot and kept me with Cat in spite of other weaknesses. I didn't see nearly the difference between the 850 Poo and 800 Poo when we ran them side by side. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Not to meantion the 17’ mt Cat was way better than the 16’ as well. Cat has made huge improvements over the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. I like hearing your real world experiences. A lot of people get hung up on dyno numbers, I guess me included when it's sitting in the garage. I have a buddy that's getting the Polaris 850 ands he's already talking so much smack lol.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Thanks for the replies guys. I like hearing your real world experiences. A lot of people get hung up on dyno numbers, I guess me included when it's sitting in the garage. I have a buddy that's getting the Polaris 850 ands he's already talking so much smack lol.

Let him talk then when you stomp him on the hill ask him where his dyno sheet is.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
when I rode the ER18 (grey) I thought to myself this even has a little more top end than my 17MC. when I ride the production 18s I feel its about the same top end wise as my zuke (dare I say less?:face-icon-small-sho). I have read on the interwebs that the 19s are back up to the 18ER level but either way you will be happy with the power. they are animals. Polaris claimed their 800 was highest hp in class too, meh whatever :face-icon-small-coo

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Deep snow days my 18 uses a touch more fuel than my 14 with a Jaws pipe.
I have averaged 4.7mpg a few times on my 18, never dropped below 5mpg on my 14.

Both sleds 3in claw. 14 is 153 18 is 162.
The 14 feels like it has more power as it should, close to 170hp. the highmark on the hill goes to the 18 for sure. that could just be the track length?

The new Ctec is so crisp and smooth running everywhere, all my zukes(since 2008) load up bad going down hill. When on the throttle i don't see a difference.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Deep snow days my 18 uses a touch more fuel than my 14 with a Jaws pipe.
I have averaged 4.7mpg a few times on my 18, never dropped below 5mpg on my 14.

Both sleds 3in claw. 14 is 153 18 is 162.
The 14 feels like it has more power as it should, close to 170hp. the highmark on the hill goes to the 18 for sure. that could just be the track length?

The new Ctec is so crisp and smooth running everywhere, all my zukes(since 2008) load up bad going down hill. When on the throttle i don't see a difference.

FYI on the 2015 Polaris 800 v.s. the 2016 Polaris 800HO it is a similar experience. Top end feels good on both but the newer motors just run better down low. It just shows that these manufacturers are making better products now, I bet with less emissions too. I am surprised your 18 isn't better on fuel though.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

Seeing that he can't even pick up and ride his 850 right now because polaris has them all frozen at the dealers cuz there is an update already for the fuel system. He may never get a sled to compare with you. When he does it'll probably be time for another update because there is something else not working or broken. Tried to talk to one of the polaris guys at the utah snow show yesterday about when we could pick up our sleds and use them and he refused to talk about it and told me to call customer service. Nice.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
What do they have to do? richen them up to make them last? 850 Poo I would have known they will not run as advertised when testing, de-tuned 10% to get them to last? Mike

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
It would be nice to see the 19’s at 160-162 hp, seems entirely feasible from this 800 CTEC motor. I’m happy with my 18 Early Release performance for sure. Just figured from a marketing standpoint on the 19’s if you get the 800 to that 160+ mark that’s pretty darn solid and these sleds have now proven to be very durable.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Not sure about a high country since the 3" powerclaw is a major factor. But in the mountains we have even walked on pump gas axys sleds quite often when it counts, same with doo but not as often. Stock for stock the doo and poo guys just avoid us. May not show the power but when you get the sled to that last 5% of all out load it doesn't stop and pulls right past the others like they let off. Call it torque or whatever but I heard from several doo and poo die hards saying things along the lines of that thing is unstoppable for a stocker.

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
I would say no because of the new controls on the handle bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features