• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dim Headlight, No Dash, No heated grips or throttle and bogs above 3500 RPM

Mar 13, 2013
Please HELP!! I purchased a 06 700 RMK with 900 miles a month or so ago.
After riding it all day It started to bog down over a ceratin RPM . I also noticed the headlight was very dim , the digital dash was completely off no lights or readout and none of the heated hand grip or throttle heater worked . It seems to run fine at idle and i was able to drive it 5 miles out of the woods just couldnt go full throttle or it would bog . I have checked voltage coming from the stator before the voltage regulator and i am only getting about 5 volts AC coming from the stator by checking it across the 3 leads coming from the stator but it does not increase by reving it up or change depending on the 3 wires I check . I thought the stator was bad so i replaced it and i am getting the same readings from the original. I checked D.C. voltage coming from the regulator and im getting the same votage coming out while its running only about 5 volts . Any suggestions will help greatly Thanks in Advance for the Help !

H

hawktoy85

Mar 5, 2013
I am a friend who is helping with the above problem.

One of the ways we checked the stator was with everything unhooked. We spun the motor with a drill and checked the AC, three yellows, for voltage.

Shouldn't that work? when you spin the motor shouldn't the stator create more than 5 VAC? I definetly would say we were spinning it pretty close to idle speeds.

Also the flywheel seems to have an issue. On the inside there is a thin sleeve that covers the magnets. It has come loose and was removable. You can see there is glue in there and it is not supposed to move. So we used some 5 min epoxy and glued it back in place. There was no change in voltage readings. Can a Flywheel go bad? Doesn't look like there is anything to it. Just magnets and they all seem to be in good shape.

Is there something we are missing in the way we are testing the Stator?

Mar 13, 2013
Hey Jeepin720 it does have a voltage regulator . What year and model is yours and what kind of symptoms were you having before you replaced it ? did you replace it with oem or aftermarket ??? Thanks

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
Mine is a assault rmk. I had some similar issues as you. I had to replace the relay that's under headlights and v/r. More than likely something shorted out an caused it to burn up. Look everything over real close. This just my opinion, hope it helps

Mar 13, 2013
Well i got lucky and figured out my problem hopefully this will help someonelse that may have a similiar issue . After testing the stator output and voltage regulator output while it was hooked up to the sled and running at idle i knew i still had too low VAC coming from the stator into the Voltage regulator which was around 5 VAC and had about 5 VDC coming out of the regulator also. I checked it with the same exact sled and my readings were as follows at idle 14.5 VDC coming from the regulator and 15 VAC from the stator . long story short i had removed the plastic handlebar cover the day before and noticed a very tight zip tie on the heated grip wiring . I ended up cutting the ziptie off and the 4 wires were melted toghether i seperated all the wires so they were not touching each other started it and it was back too normal . I then discovered the left heated hand grip element was bad possibly causing those wires to heat up and melt where they were pinched toghether too tight by the zip tie . Hope this Helps

Premium Features