• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEED INFO ON AVALANCHE PACKS

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Thinking about getting a avalanche pack trying to decide on the brand,
do not want to go to large but need room for shovel, prob, and some gear,
would like not to be any larger than the Klim crew pack, not the nack pack.
For those who wear them what is the best one and why ? I see a lot of the 30 liter for sell all the time, are they just to big ? I am thinking about the ABS Escape 15 or the Vario 15 - 18 . It will be used for snowmobiling.

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
Avy Packs

I ride with the ABS Freeride, there is more room than you would think.

The shovel fits in the back pouch and the probe goes on the side. There is enough room for goggles, snacks, gloves and a few other items inside the bag.
I think most people who do not want to carry everything on their back the Freeride is a good choice.

*Take a look at the pictures for the Freeride it shows the pack with a shove and probe on it plus some other stuff.

Here are some links to the bags:

ABS Freeride

ABS Freeride 10

All Avy Beacons

Thanks
Mark

S
Jan 25, 2011
I have an escape 15 and i would consider it too small, I had to put a lot of stuff in my tail pack when transferring from a dakine tactic, wish i would have went to a 30

R

Rammit

Jan 28, 2009
Seattle, WA
I ride with an avi vest, and its got plenty of room for what i need, i keep my lunch, goggles, gloves, probe, shovel, and on top of that i can keep my outerlayer in there if its warm, I also have the front pockets to keep my gps, and snacks and shades in. My buddy has the BCA pack and he thinks its really to bulky to ride with, My opinion is that the avi vest one of the best deals out there and really the least bulky to ride with.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
I ride with the ABS Freeride, there is more room than you would think.

The shovel fits in the back pouch and the probe goes on the side. There is enough room for goggles, snacks, gloves and a few other items inside the bag.
I think most people who do not want to carry everything on their back the Freeride is a good choice.

*Take a look at the pictures for the Freeride it shows the pack with a shove and probe on it plus some other stuff.

Here are some links to the bags:

ABS Freeride

ABS Freeride 10

All Avy Beacons

Thanks
Mark

How would you compare the freeride & the escape 15 in size to the larger Klim pack ? I have not seen either one up close, for me a pack the size that would between the smaller and larger Klim pack would be just right.
What would be the advantage to a Vario pack over the others? I live in central Washington State, is their a dealer in my area so I can look at one before buying ?

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
What are you looking to carry in your pack, everyone is going to have a different opinion on what pack to order based on what they want in their pack. Give me an idea of what would be in your pack and that may help with a bag selection.

Thanks
Mark

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
What are you looking to carry in your pack, everyone is going to have a different opinion on what pack to order based on what they want in their pack. Give me an idea of what would be in your pack and that may help with a bag selection.

Thanks
Mark

2 bottles of water-first aid kit-energy bars-fire start-emergency blanket-hand warmers-flashlight-GPS- extra batteries-goggles-shovel-prob-TP. The rest I carry on the sled.

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
I took a look a the bags again after looking at your list, I would go with the Freeride or the Freeride 10. The Freeride has a carrying capacity of 4 Liters and the Freeride 10 can hold 10 liters of stuff, 4 = 1 gallon. So with the Freeride 10 you get about 2-1/2 gallons of free room.

Thanks
Mark

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I see that the Freeride 10 stores the shovel inside the pack, unlike the Freeride that stores it outside the pack. Does the room the shovel takes up come out of the 10 liters and, if so, how much more room does the 10 really have than 4 with the shovel stored?

Premium Features