• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should have got a new sled!!

So how common is this? A simple track upgrade turns into a full out major project. Was thinking about getting a new sled this summer but all my buddies are like “just spend a couple bucks on your old sled and it will be fine” So the track upgrade has turned into a tunnel project and that has now turned into a major engine overhaul and that has turned into a complete start from scratch drill out every single rivet sled build. Now the same buddies are saying “Darn you should have got a new one” Yeah NO #$%T….. So as much as I love looking a all the pictures on this site I will be posting some of my junk for everybody else to gander at…..

DSCN0491.jpg

Yeah thats no lie!!! Worked on the steering some yesterday. JUNK. Figured out why it was so hard to turn last winter, all the bearings in the bell cranks were rusted up solid. So trip to the brg house and some new "American Made" bearings was installed. Part number is 6001 2RS if anybody cares... Now to do something with the 8 ball joints that are all wore out.. Have to make a call to the local race car shop see if I can get some of those...

DSCN0494.jpg

The original plan was to upgrade to a 159 track from a 144. Ordered a new series 4 camo track from Tracks USA. Guy talked me into the fancy rail extensions. Track showed up. Rail extensions look good. While taking the sled apart and inspecting the factory rails I found that they were bent and wavy. So that was a good reason to update to the new style rails with the big wheel kit. The sled had an offset axle with 9” plastic wheels on it. Kind of looked odd and I have never been a big fan of rail extensions. The new rails showed up yesterday. Other than all the sharp edges and the cut on my hand I received pulling them out of the box they looked nice as well. Don’t any of these manufactures own a chamfer tool or a debur knife. Jeez. Anyway couple minute’s deburing all the sharp edges and off to get anodized. Also ordered an anti-stab kit as I am going to run the fancy drivers. That looked really nice to. Question is the anit-stab kit came with plastic wheels. Other than weight is there any other reason that those wheels can’t be made out of aluminum? Hope to have some more pics when the rails come back from the anodize shop. Might be making some aluminum wheels while I wait…..

DSCN0498.jpg DSCN0499.jpg

It’s been a while since I posted anything. Here are some pics to look at. Got the rails back, made a billet 2 wheel kit with some 8 inch wheels. Got some good pictures of what we really do for a living. Using 3D solid modeling software all programming for the wheels was done at the computer and then sent to our CNC machines in the shop. Front suspension link was all broke and bent so I manufactured a new one of those. All steel parts were powder coated red. Fabcraft tunnel showed up and I am in the process of putting it together. Enjoy…

DSCN0517 (Small).JPG DSCN0506 (Small).JPG DSCN0505 (Small) (2).JPG DSCN0508 (Small).JPG DSCN0512 (Small).JPG DSCN0514 (Small).JPG DSCN0516 (Small) (2).JPG

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
if its worth doing, then it should be worth doing right!!! Looks like your on the right path, so far so good!!!!

Buddy of mine is in the same boat on his 03 rmk, just wanted to do crank bearings, now hes getting a full rebuild with indydan's bottom end, went from 500 to about 2500 worth of work and parts, but like I said earlier, if your gunna do it, then do it right!!

Premium Features