• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamadoo remodeling

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, im talking with a guy who works on turbo propane yota's, so getting some good info, the propane build should be about half the cost of a fuelie swap, so life is gonna be GOOD. I need just a few peices of junk to get my header tacked up, and downpipe built, and its going to use my same manifold and carbs as throttle bodies, so life should be pretty easy.

propane + midmount + sick boost = trackspeed?

now if I could just save some pennies up I might get some parts and start, just having to much fun wasting money on ammo right now! as far as tank/seat combo, im taking the poor seat of my old rev, josh, you know how slick it looks!! then tank half under half behind the seat and turbo under the front.... NOM NOM NOM... got boost?? I cant wait to get working on this thing, it should be stupid fast, now i can get even more stuck.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
ahah.. it has a good bit of power right now, but I found in the deep stuff, I wanted a bit more following some of the people I ride with around, only running 10# not that well dialed in with lots of power loss due to bad clutch alignment and tight track. Getting all that worked out and running more boost should just be stupid fast. If I can get the propane to run cleaner on the bottom end then my current setup I will be a lot happier, again, I had lots of stupid stuff hindering its overall performance. so hopefulyI can get it a little better for this season! I still am gonna hate getting stuck(its heavy) IM just hoping I can make it happen less often witha better performing sled.

the t-yami take on the whole power to weight ratio deal.

power vs weight.
normal sleds- little vs little = decent
turbo yamaha- TONS vs ouch my back = wheelie.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
well, got some stainless coming real soon to do my midmount header.. im going to have to work on the downpipe, it could be interesting getting it back into the old hole!! oh well.
thanks turbo583 for the great deal on the stainless!! getting the thing underway.

Im also trying to wrangle enough funds to pay for a new(to me) track.. going from a beat up 2.25(more like 2) to a nice 2.5 would be a HUGE gain for me.

once the stainless comes in the fab work will begin then I can get some pictures up of something worth looking at.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
WAHOO.. got something done today, still lots of farting around with getting the rest of the header done, but I got the 4 tubes run back to the joint. its not the most beautiful thing in the world, but such is a sawzall in the alley!! I need to work on getting the joint down to a smaller area, but overal im VERY pleased with how it fits together, flow should be stellar compared to my old POS header.. I bet boost for boost there is 15-20 HP available on this thing, its SO much more open straight into the turbo vs crimped and twisty. Working on routing the intake, its going out right behind the dash if I can get it up there, super cold and no snow issues on it. some pics to stare and and wonder if I can ever make it run!

First off a picture of the old shop!!!
CIMG0491.jpg

the old and the new stuff
CIMG0490.jpg

the flange back off of the old header and cleaned up a tad
CIMG0493.jpg

then a few steps along the way
CIMG0494.jpg

CIMG0496.jpg

CIMG0497.jpg

yeah, the tubes are kinda short!! and the end needs to be collected a LOT nicer. either way IM VERY stoked, it should spool pretty nicely!
CIMG0499.jpg

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
Looks like you have some work to do on the header yet, but making progress!!!!
Looks like you are going to have a real PITA getting a couple of those ex. flange bolts in and out. And I though the Impulse was a battle, that looks even worse.haha.

Keep the pics coming. It's nice to see I'm not the only crazy one working on sleds in July in 85* sunny weather. LOL

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Working

haha, Yeah, Looks like it is coming together. I see you got the stainless. Quite the shop you have there. . . . .

As far as working on the summer on a sled. I believe most of the guys working on them in the summer love working on them more than they do riding them. For me the build is half the fun.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, building it is my favorite passtime, I have been an HP junky since I could own anything with a motor, so this allows me to have my favorite sport(sledding) and modding/horsepower all in one. I wish my folks hadnt moved, we are building them a new house right now, but the old one with the 4 bay heated garage was NICE!!! whatever, its hot out right now so I cant complain to much. as far as getting to the bolts.. shouldnt be TO bad. they look gay to get to, but the end of a box end wrench works out nice, and the turbo housing is threaded, so they come in from the other way vs how I have seen most mount. I cant wait to work on my downpipe, I want to use the same old hole in the side behind the chaincase, we shall see how my 180* cutting/bending party goes!! it all ends up pretty hacked and welded, but as long as it holds, I have no complaints, also, my turbo is getting a relatively solid hanger mount from the 2 braces that run back along the tank on a REV, so that should really eliminate most of the issues with header longevity. time to get the welder out and get back at it!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
well, I got a little done this afternoon, header is all tacked up and just gonna have to wait until early september until poor jskattum606 gets to weld up some of the gaps!! Im actually pretty happy how it all fits in there, just gotta finish the details. I also got my wastegate arm/assembly cut, shortened and mounted on the thing. should work good.. now I just need a boost controller!!

I think I need to change how my downpipe is shapped as my current tunnel dump location just isnt gonna happen, I need to fill the old hole and try a new one dumping down the front of the bend for the track around the drivers. intake is going to be a shortened version of what you see in the picture, one of those things I will play with as the season gets underway and see how it works/where it could be mounted

sorry the last one is kinda shakey.. to much working on the dang thing.

CIMG0501.jpg

CIMG0504.jpg

CIMG0500.jpg

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Coolant lines

Looking good. Glad that you could use the 321. I am very surprised that you made it work with such a small amount of tubing. Great work.

What are you going to do about the coolant lines below the turbo. I am going to have the same problem. I am pondering cutting my cooler back some so I don't have to worry about it. or I may wrap them in header wrap? Whats your thoughts on this.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
header wrap for the turbo side of things and I have some of the heat reflective foam on from the Rx1 gas tank I will zip tie around the lines, thats MORE then enough, I had a coolant line easily that close on my old setup and had no issues with it at all. and it was by the unwrapped turbo with nothing on it. ran it for 1000 miles like that with a glowing red turbo. if anything a thin aluminum heat sheild humped over the lines would work awsome just to help disipate the heat radiating onto them.

The stainless was the perfect amount, If I did it again I could definately make it fit nicer, but hey, everything I build is a protoytpe. I also found a mandrel bent chunk of 3" that I can use and run my exhaust into my old tunnel dump, I like that as it should really knock down the sound having to do a 180 and I really didnt want to cut anymore holes in my tunnel right there.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
well.. considering the only Company that even runs a 3" downpipe is the impulse race setups.. I think I might go back down to a 2.5" setup.. after fighting with 3" tubing to route my downpipe, its just not going to fit without the most time consuming game of cut and weld. I am dropping back to 2.5, but think it can still flow plenty of air for the boost levels I plan on running.. maybe 16# now an then.. probably 14 mostly.

also Am in the process of selling my carbs as I am building a custom intake manifold with a single throttle body feeding it.. frees up a LOT of space around my steering post, elminates a large chunk of weight hanging off the motor, and I had issues with the carbs blowing off. I think it should help performance. and because its a 1 off type deal, it will allow me to route my intake so from turbo to carbs its again, just over a foot.. so it should take off like a SOB.. going to start building on the airbox system hopefully in the next day or so to get a prototype goin.. also might get the downpipe worked out.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
good deal. I think the 2.5" DP will work fine in the 4 stroke application. And free up som space under the hood of that monster

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
no kidding... I need it.. I am rather sick of fighting with it.. I gotta call around and try to grab a little U bend of 2.5..

Got some thin wall steel... oh yeah, building an airbox out of exhaust tubing... HURRAY WEIGHT.. I would build aluminum. but this is my prototype and it cost me like $15 then I can get it how I want it to.. and maybe make it out of alum later when I can get it welded up, until now.. time for the big stuff!!

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
wow man just give me a call ill let you use my garage for free also i have a 162 track you can have, and no im not hitting on you if you were wondering!!!:smow:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
well sweet... sounds like good stuff.. im just not in the bozo area for a while now, ill be back in september to try and learn things at msu... maybe. and this track.. HMMM.. ill run whatever people throw at me.. I already have 2 pretty beat up ones i just run the crap out of.

I am just trying to save my pennies for the propane parts right now... but the truck needs new tires.. and to be paid off.. so the sled is currently waiting for money!!

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
dude I love your shop!!!

I think you will make someone a hell of an employee someday. You seems to have a great attitude and get it done mindset. Great lessons learned and your skills are getting better.

I'm interested in how "stupid easy" the propane will tune, I'm sure you will keep us posted.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Well.. long time no update.. Going to try to finish doing some welding, maybe do up my downpipe. I ordered up some of my propane conversion parts today, I am still working on tank ideas, but Think I have a setup figured out so I can run 2 longer skinny tanks that are a lot smaller. Also trying to figure out what to do with my intercooling, I want run an intercooler as I think the benefits for it are worth it, so now just time ot plumb it in.

I have also been doing lots of reading on propane turbos and tuning, so hopefully this should be somewhat painless as far as tuning goes. read enough that I think I got most of the issues sorted out before I build it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
waiting on propane parts... being kinda slow.

I have descided to run my downpipe just down into the top of the tunnel, slightly back from the drivers at a goofy angle, I just wasnt going to be able to get into my old hole without massacring whats left of my side panel.

Also I took my rear motor mount out and was looking at what allowed it to flex so much, my Main observation was that running a single bolt throught each of the rubber mounts on the rear of the motor doesnt hold it in place well, the rubber mount cant twist/torque around and it is worthless to say the least, it allows a LOT of torque, the motor feels relatively stiff in the chassis, but taking a pry bar and appling pressure in the right locations allows it to move a LOT.. NOT GOOD. I am thinking of possibly eliminating the rubber mounts as the 4 strokes from what I have read dont need them, and even in stock chassis move more then necassary. I may try to build a custom solid mount that just bolts down to the chassis, this would be my ideal goal.

R
Dec 5, 2008
Bozeman MT
I was just curious about your motor mount situation if you could weld a plate on either side of the tab on the motor making it more of a clevis so that the bolt only has to act like a pin instead of like tring to hold a tire on the end of your finger. Not sure if this is possible or not seeing as though it has been some time since i even looked at them but just a thought.

Ken

Premium Features