• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'93 xlt sks

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I want to put a 151 x 2" track on my XLT. I am running a 136 x 2" right now and it has the lowest gear-set you can fit in the case (18-40 if I remember correctly). It works pretty well, but the tail kicks out on power turns and it could use more flotation for playin' in the trees. I am concerned that it could be too much track. Has anyone run a 151 on an XLT that could give me some advice? I am not into full-on hillclimbing, I mostly boondock. The engine is box-stock. The track will be ported to help with the rotational mass increase.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
My friend and I just got done doing a transplant from a stock 93 xlt sp to now, well we put a 02 RMK 144" skid, 8 tooth drivers, and a 144" 2" finger track.
We didnt change the gearing at all, and did some test runs with it and it acted very responsive.

1993 you have the 579cc motor, which is a very reliable motor, but only pushes about 90 horsepower. if u decide to put a 151 on that sled you might want to think about doing something to the motor, maybe tripple pipes or something. I know if you find a set of PSI pipes it will give you around 20-25 more horsepower set up right.

We opted to go another route, we transplanted a 97 Ultra 680 motor into our xlt, so as u can imagine, nothing is stock on that sled anymore...

If u have any questions, feel free to PM me and I could give u my number to further examine stuff...

Good luck

CK

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
durability

I don't want to modify that particular engine, I have heard that it is a good engine as long as you leave it stock. It has 4500 miles on it. My master plan is to watch for a larger engine to swap in when this one goes. I am some times tempted by the ol' Cat 600 triple, it ran pretty hard. My dad had a 750 Storm that was a screamer with its PSI Modblasters, nothin' like the sound of a triple triple.....:D

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
I must agree, nothing beats the sound of a triple, expecially one thats been piped.

that ultra we built has SLP trips on it, and it sounds so nice! a storm motor would be a nice upgrade in that sled. definitely enough power.

R

ragingwong

Sep 17, 2008
williams lake bc canada
xlt

my wife has a 95 xlt,we put a 144x2" on it last year,polaris track,had to cut out every third window,then ported it with 3 1" holes . motor is stock except for a can .it got new pistons and rings at about 5200 miles and the crank was still perfect,leave the engine stock or it'll blow up ,put on extoverts moved back the skid and didn't even need rail extensions,the thing works awsome for what it is,when we sit and have a beer i always take it for a good flogging,love that thing,

Premium Features