• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

base layer with klim

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
ok it's -5 and i went riding tonite. tomahawk jacket and under armor cold weather gear 3.0 (the warmest they have). and i got cold. what should i wear for another layer, another under armor shirt or some kind of fleece jacket. i don't have alot of room left in the jacket for a big sweat shirt or another jacket of some sort.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
for ridin in real cold, (37 below last sunday) add a polar fleece pullover and a good wind breaker to keep heat in, cold out, not recommend on a good weather day or if you are goin to get worked up, i had 6 layers on,

under armor
fleece shirt
insulated shirt
windbreaker
carhart coat
poo ridin gear

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
for ridin in real cold, (37 below last sunday) add a polar fleece pullover and a good wind breaker to keep heat in, cold out, not recommend on a good weather day or if you are goin to get worked up, i had 6 layers on,

under armor
fleece shirt
insulated shirt
windbreaker
carhart coat
poo ridin gear

After I left Montana I forgot how real men go riding!!!!:beer;

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I would say a fleece layer would be your best bet. I got some fleece long underwear from Gander MTN that is really warm. On cold days I wear a good base layer like under armor or the Klim Agressor then the fleece and have yet to get cold. fits close to the body so bulk is a minimum. (I hate feeling like the michellin man).

But then again I sweat like a race horse too so that may be part of it. :rolleyes:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
^^ what xc said.

I've ridden up in Voyaguers and it was 20 below in the am.

Wore poly pro long johns(now UA) heavy fleece pants, fleece shirt, fleece pull over, with a fleece vest and then my outer wear. I was warm even blasting the lakes at 70mph...only cold spot was where I had air getting under my helmet.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I've been using a brand called Duotherm as my base layer when it gets super cold -10 and below. They have a version for Sledding, it's a brown color and is a heavy weight. I will wear this top and bottom when it is super cold out with only a pair of sweat pants and sweat shirt under my HMK gear. It has worked really well for me over the years. It's about $30 per piece and I have seen it at Sportsmans warehouse and Gander MTN. I believe.

Brrrrrr.....

I also use a good poly layer next to the skin, Patagonia makes a nice one thats double layer (not real thick though) I find the dual layer pulls the sweat away better. On cold rides I wear a fleece vest over the poly and under a Klimb Valdes parka, vest helps keep the "core" warm without restricting movement. And if all else fails every time you get too cold just get your sled good and stuck, that always warms ya' up ;):D

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I wear Klim layers. Normally wear the base layer top and bottom(which is somewhat like under armour), Valdez jacket and togwatee bibs. The jacket and bibs are just loose enough for those days when it is 20 or 30 below I put the Klim fleece top and bottom mid layers on. I have had really good luck with this out sledding down to 34 below last January at Kings hill night riding...had to go out....three feet of fresh pow fell that day and there was a full moon that night...was great:D:D...cold:eek:...but great:beer; stayed the night at the forest service cabin there that night.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I wear the UA base layer, and a fleece top with Klim tog bibs and Valdez parka.
I just bought the Klimate bibs as they have the thinsulate in them for insulation, and might buy the Klimate jacket as that has thinsulate as-well. This is for the really cold days.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
If you are getting really cold, you may try a fleece. Just be careful what you buy. You still need moisture wicking properties to allow the Gore-Tex to function properly. Many brands will have an inner barrier that will hold the moisture in. However most outdoor shops will have the proper stuff. The Klim version is the Everest line. And already has everything thought out for you.
You guys are making me feel pretty warm blooded. I normally just ride with the Klim Aggressor base layer. I've worn that all the way down to -20. I wear this with the Valdez/Togwotee combo. I'm picking up the inferno mid layer this year for extreme cold days. I suspect this will be more than sufficient. Hope that helps.
Happy Holidays

Premium Features