• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

is a zr600 with date of 07 of 97 a 1998?

Dec 20, 2012
I just got a zr600 from a family member who got it with a trailer he bought and it has no title but the assembly date above the vin says 07/97.Does that make it a 1998?Also any pro's and con's to this sled or things to look for like known problems?

Triple_trouble

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2010
Marquette, WI
Those old 600's were pretty stout. Stator is the big watch as well as TSS. The front skid shock did not have the bracing that the newer ones do and have been known to bend that shaft when the sled is jumped or rode very aggressively. They also weren't the most fuel efficient for what they are. Otherwise not a bad sled for what it was and many parts available. Also, body parts from the newer ones swap over pretty easy so updating the looks is do-able. I personally didn't care for the looks of the 98 and 99 ZR/powder special.

If the price was right though, its a decent trail machine for someone starting out. That's actually what I would like to find for the girlfriend so she doesn't kill herself on my sleds...

Dec 20, 2012
I also picked it up for a backup sled and something for my girlfriend to start out on. figured for 500 bucks it was worth it because it's very clean and runs good. It's the carbed model with pipes head work and it's been long tracked.

Premium Features