• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on Replacement Skis

Jan 12, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
Guys,
As a short track rider on a 900 Fusion, I realize most of you on SnowWest are powder riders with a little time on trails. Yet, you guys know your chit!!

This weekend, I hit some bumps really hard and managed to knock the tractor out of alignment and I found the the side wall of one of my ski hanging and dragging. We had 60 mph winds and we lost the trail...:face-icon-small-conthe frozen exposed ground made some good contact! Looks like I'm in the market for some new skis.

I need some opinions here, I'm a trail rider with very little opportunity for powder. Can you all fill me in on good options for an 2005 Fusion.

What would you recommend...

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I just switched from SPL Powder Pro's to the Simmons Gen III's

I know they are designed to give the flotation for powder riding, but these are the best skis I have ever ridden on the trail or groomed road.

The dual carbide design, inside skag longer than the outside skag, makes for effortless turning at slow speeds and it doesn't dart around and try to track down every ski mark from the people in front of you.

Off trail in moderate snow, they perform very well too.

They are a bit pricey.......around $350 through FreeAgent, but well worth it IMO.

T

TrailRebel

Feb 4, 2010
Butler, WI
I've heard a lot of people switching to the SlyDog Powder Hounds 7". Apparently they make a bigger difference than the HRP spindles. Only downfall is that they are kind of flimsy...so maybe the race ski? I haven't had first hand experience with either.

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
My fuse came with the ProX rocker ski as part of the walker evans pkg. I did try the 06 accutrak ski in an effort to help steering issues. I foud it best to go back to the rocker ski as it helps with lowering steering effort. They are not as aggressive as the accutrak but I like to predictable slp in the corners.
Some of the aftermarket choices will likely be cheaper but I would suggest looking for a similar rocker keel design.

heynagel

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
My 2 cents. I have the powder pro's and really like them. They float very well on my RMK in the deep snow and I really don't have any darting issues.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I have simmons and PPs like has been said on trail and firmer snow condition the simmons are by far superior. Powder pros are just that! I find they are more subtle and predictable in powder and sidehilling the simmons are more twitchy on edge and when countersteering in the pow. I have carls modified PPs and have never ridden the unmodified version.

Premium Features