• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How was your experience going from Pro chassis to Axys chassis?

What were your thoughts in transitioning from Pro to Axys?

• Total voters

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
My Dad is currently on a 2012 Polaris RMK 144. He loves the short tracks. I'm trying to convince him to move up to a 2018 Polaris RMK 144. Basically the same sled as he has now, but on the Axys chassis instead of the pro chassis.

He is concerned because he just loves his current sled so much - how it rides, how it feels, how light it is. I told him "Dad, you sound just like every Polaris rider...until they rode the Axys. They all said they really really like their Pro, but then when they rode the Axys, it felt and rode just like the pro...but better...somehow better - not sure exactly how, but just even better."

So please chime in. I'm looking for some poll result to either substantiate or refute my statement to him.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Super easy transition, very similar sleds but they ride lighter, have more power, and feel more refined. Basically exactly what you said. The difference isnt that clear until you hop off an Axys back on to the Pro, they feel heavy and underpowered.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
my answer first

Alright, I got the poll started. I definitely felt it was a seamless transition from the Pro to the Axys, but also everything was better even quite a bit.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
My Dad is currently on a 2012 Polaris RMK 144. He loves the short tracks. I'm trying to convince him to move up to a 2018 Polaris RMK 144. Basically the same sled as he has now, but on the Axys chassis instead of the pro chassis.

He is concerned because he just loves his current sled so much - how it rides, how it feels, how light it is. I told him "Dad, you sound just like every Polaris rider...until they rode the Axys. They all said they really really like their Pro, but then when they rode the Axys, it felt and rode just like the pro...but better...somehow better - not sure exactly how, but just even better."

So please chime in. I'm looking for some poll result to either substantiate or refute my statement to him.

Fyi the two 144’s (trail sled ergonomics with a 144) you have mentioned old vs new are potentially quite different from the “rmk” versions 95% of users on sw have ridden.

Accept the poll data with that in mind.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
thanks

thanks for the reminder. You are right, the 144 is not exactly like the 155 or 163. However, I've ridden it a fair amount and I wouldn't say they are super far apart either. It still feels "mostly" like a pro. So yes, then I am assuming that the new one would feel "mostly" like an axys.

FWIW, I really wish Polaris would make a 144 offering in the full blown RMK Pro style so that my dad could have a sled with the sort track like he likes but have it 40 pounds lighter. But alas, it was not meant to be, so we do what we can with what's available. sigh.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
my experience is on a 155

I used to be like your dad, my proride is great and it can't be that much different, they looks the same anyway.....oh boy was i wrong!

As soon you try it it feels like a proride with 50lbs less in the front and MUCH MORE snappy throttle.

i wouldn't say you need to re-learn to ride either, it's the same old recipe but better in every aspect. Once you go axys i can't see how you could go back to pro-ride.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Why does your dad ride a 144"? Does he trail ride a lot? My 77yo, 170lb. dad rides a 163, but we're off trail all the time. He'd rather stay on top of the snow; getting too old to constantly dig out a sled. He can tractor that 163" thru anything.

Get your dad an Axys 155" and it'll feel lighter and just as short as his 144" with significantly better floatation.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I don't have any input on the difference between the two, but I would say if he's happy with what he's got and it's not holding him back significantly, why spend the energy trying to talk him into it? I guess if you've got deep pockets you could just buy him a new one – there is an AXYS 144 RMK, but just the standard 600 RMK, which is 40lbs heavier than the AXYS Pro 155 (600 or 800). I don't doubt he'd take new Pro 155 over his current sled on a blind comparison, but just remember, you can lead a horse to water...

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
After having two Pro's and now two Axys', the comments listed above are all about spot on. The Pro's were good but the Axys is a "better Pro" in several ways. Really it comes down to......there lighter, stronger, faster, better.....you know the typical, build a better mouse trap, build a better _______. (fill in the blank)

There not different there just a tick better in several areas and riders coming from riding the Pro will notice that right away. If things don't "feel" quite right, don't be afraid to take a little time and adjust the suspension!!!! Little changes here and there are noticeable and will improve the overall feel and the rider's confidence.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Well, after you get used to riding an Axys going getting back on a Pro feels like the buikhead is filled with concrete.

This is pretty much dead on.

And I’m not sure, but I don’t think the 144 RMK gets the tall spindles that the other Axys sleds have? To reap all the benifits of the Axys, get a 155 Pro RMK. I used to have a 144 SBA and the 155 platform is more capable and doesn’t feel long at all. If you want the shorter track still, the 146 SKS would be the way to go, but that’s an 800, so not really apples to apples for the 600 144 RMK. There’s no doubt your dad would like it.

The easiest way to think about it is it takes like 1/3 of the energy to do the same maneuvers on a similarly equipped Axys from a Pro.

Best thing for you to do is get an Axys 155 Pro RMK for yourself, maybe let your dad ride it a time or two and he’ll come around :face-icon-small-coo haha

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
I didn't think there was a big difference going from pro to axys until i hopped back on the wifes pro, i seriously though something was wrong with it. everything from the lack of throttle response to how hard the throttle pull is, how heavy it feels, I couldn't believe I used to think those things were as good as they felt when I first got one. I wonder what it'd be like to ride my old ZX chassis Doo.

Once he rides the axys, he won't go back.

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
When I came from my 144" Pro to the 155" Axys I could barely keep it upright, felt like I was fighting it to stay on any sort of edge, and that it would just wash out or tip on me. That was the first trip with it. Over the winter I got the feel for it and now feel really happy and confident on it. Excited for another full season on it. I will say that it took me a while to get a hang of the first pro I had coming off my Yamaha. I don't get to ride every weekend so my adjusting/learning curve is slower than someone that gets get out weekly, so that might make a difference as well.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I didn't think there was a big difference going from pro to axys until i hopped back on the wifes pro, i seriously though something was wrong with it. everything from the lack of throttle response to how hard the throttle pull is, how heavy it feels, I couldn't believe I used to think those things were as good as they felt when I first got one. I wonder what it'd be like to ride my old ZX chassis Doo.

So true. I had a 2011 and 2015 Pro....but riding Axys for the past 3 years. Traded a buddy to ride a 2014 Pro for a few minutes and was blown away at how it felt. I remembered having a BLAST on my Pro's....but times have changed.

Also for 2019 ....the 850 +new front end is almost as noticeable a difference again. So there's that to look forward to :face-icon-small-coo

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
My experience: I hated my the pro when I first got it. Threw on a kmod 37" front end and absolutely loved it - literally like flipping a switch. Upgraded to the Axys and it felt about 80% as good as the pro (with the narrowed front end). Put the 37" spindle kit on the Axys and feels even better than the narrowed pro.

S
Oct 10, 2009
The step from my almost Yammi-heavy -09 Dragon 800 SB to an exteded -14 Indy 600 144" felt great but the upgrade to an -17 SB Assault AXYS gave a surprisingly light feel aswell. Soon my snowchecked SB Assault 850 will show up and with that engine it might feel even lighter... :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features