• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: New Servers !!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Over the last 15 years or so I have purchased about 15 computers from dell's corporate division, and have wonderful corporate support.

a computer a year doesn;t speak well for those dells...and if you have had a great relationship with their support division well that speaks for itself....i find that quality would have a ratio of one computor every four years and little dealings with the support division...but thats just my perspective

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
a computer a year doesn;t speak well for those dells...and if you have had a great relationship with their support division well that speaks for itself....i find that quality would have a ratio of one computor every four years and little dealings with the support division...but thats just my perspective
as my business grew, I needed more computers for the employees.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well, last night we got the new rack mounted UPSs ordered, The KVM is on it's way, and we are now working on a new switch for load balancing so we can add on a 3rd and 4th server the moment the load increases enough to justify it.

Next will be all the software so its all here and ready to go when the hardware arrives.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Dell's Business Support is rated very high actually and is totally separate from their home user support, it's not the same people giving support.

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
but what about access??

High speed servers are nice but what bandwidth do you have at Harris Publishing?

Dedicated OC-3? OC-12? Three or four T-1's over copper??

Can I interest you in GBit ethernet over fiber?

No matter how fast the server is if the pipe isn't fat enough we're not going to see a service improvement.

Chief

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Got a few more of the components today.

Dual external back up drives, one for each of the new servers. Raid 5 on the inside and an dedicated external on the outside should ensure we never loose any posts ever again.

Picked up our Foundry Load Balancing Switch, which should make sure all current and future servers are being used at max efficiency. We will be set up to support 8 servers in the new rack now. 2 to begin with on day one, and more as needed down the road.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Got a few more of the components today.

Dual external back up drives, one for each of the new servers. Raid 5 on the inside and an dedicated external on the outside should ensure we never loose any posts ever again.

Picked up our Foundry Load Balancing Switch, which should make sure all current and future servers are being used at max efficiency. We will be set up to support 8 servers in the new rack now. 2 to begin with on day one, and more as needed down the road.
or as the new enrollment fee will pay for? aka pay to play site.....still tight lipped......?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got an update from Dell Corp.

Hi Chris,

The servers are in production and everything is moving along normally. They should ship sometime next week.

Advanced Systems Group
Dell, Inc. | Business Division

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
SO,

this is what happens when you speak out against the supreme leader,

Christopher thought it would be funny to change my name.

I'm not amused.

I also can no longer start threads.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Last night we were able to reconfigure another of the Harris Servers to steal a little more processing power.

the next result was a pretty clear decrease in delays while our load stays UNDER about 1,500 users.

Its just another band-aid, but we could see that it lowered the Load Factor by bit when we got slammed last night.

Premium Features