• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha first ride impressions

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Jumped a little today and took it down some whooped out trails at 45+ on the way back to the pickup. It’s very stable. The new shock settings helped keep the front end down and kept it planted. Climbed like a monster even without the rear shock locked out.

I switched sleds with a guy on an 850 Polaris today. Not near enough time on it to say one is better than the other, but will say you can tell the difference in traction (Alpha track is just better, period) and didn’t notice much of a difference in power, but didn’t really get into a situation that would show it. I don’t like riding other people’s sleds like mine, I’m ok if I break mine...I’m fairly confident the Alpha would go anywhere the Polaris would, possible more, even though it’s supposed to be less power. The 850 was crisp and smooth, would not say anything bad about it. Both really nice sleds. The 850 guy had all good things to say about it when he got off.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I'm sure it will be more stable off jumps...will keep its angle better and not get pushed off angle as easily as a standard skid. Everything I've experienced is that the more narrow, easier tipping sleds do a better job of launching with stability...they don't get knocked around as easily.

And this skid should be very robust. A standard skid with 2 rails is basically a parallelogram with minimal gussets due to the suspension components having to be in there. The monorail is a much more ideal structure, allowing for an angle into the attachment point of the tunnel...inherently stronger. And way, way less twisting/torsion force on the skid and tunnel...think about it, twin rails allow for one rail to be entirely loaded up and applying force to only one side of the tunnel...the monorail will, for the most part, apply equal forces to each side of the tunnel. Not to pick on ski doo, but remember the flex link breaking in those a bit back? That is due to large torsional forces from one rail being loaded up while the other is not. Lastly, the monorail allows a better form factor...is a singular monocoque structure which allows for larger forces with less weight.

Obviously time will tell and the young whipper snappers out there will be launching and finding out. Me? I'm 46 with an 80 year old back...I'm content to keep the track on the snow.

That’s an interesting way to think about it. I understand what you’re saying about it being stronger because of the geometry. That makes sense to me but I am still not convinced about it being more stable on an approach. I’ve always kept my ski stance wide (40” on my old M’s) because it is far less tippy and more stable on approach. I know the alpha track is 15” wide just like my old iron but as flexible as it is and with the monorail I would think it will feel kind of like when my ski stance is narrower except in the rear. It’s all speculation on my part until I actually ride one. I was just curious to know thoughts from people who have one and have experienced the difference. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I hope you’re right! (If you are, I just have to figure out how to afford one )I’m just saying looking at one and imagining it in your head doesn’t always give you the real world truth you expect. So hopefully we’ll get dumped on with snow and start hearing more people’s experiences as they sail in the air on them, and get pictures too of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
The way I ride, it makes it more stable than a twin rail. When I’m jumping or ramming down a whooped out trail, I’m way forward riding 90% on the skis, pounding them through. Having the rail in the center helps keep things more stable when the track hits. Whether the right or left is higher, it just hits that single point so your skis are what stabailize the sled...as it should be (at least in my opinion).

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
I am not sure about toughness on drops yet but have found that approaches are better because the track flexes over any uneven terrain. It seems to just float over uneven ground to the point you dont feel it. It feels more stable or controlable than a twin rail on approaches to me.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I rode about 20 miles on my alpha 165 a few days ago. I know its not much time but this thread is about first ride impressions. Terrain was a mix of trail and some smaller size hill climbs. Low snow here in Tahoe so no real powder turns for me, but I did pin it a few times on the climbs and rode the trail harder than I normally like to. Only mod so far is a HPS can.
I weigh about 185lbs in the birthday suit. Front shocks were 55, center 45, rear shock 140psi. Played with the shocks most of the day. Really like the adjustable nature of the shock package. No more amateur hour pre-load spring tool adjustments. Although I didn't have any complaints with my KYB's on my summit. Just feel more tunable with these new fox shocks.
Love the ascender platform in general so far as I have never rode an Arctic Cat. Foot pockets were perfect size for controlling the lean of the machine. The foot pockets will pay off in the downhill pow turn dept. The sled easily rolled onto one ski and it steered great while on one ski on a packed uneven trail. No wrong foot forward required. Always something I do if possible to test the sweet spot or balance of a sled. Alpha passed with FLYING COLORS!!! Spring check starting to become validated in my mind. ( I never demo this sled or even saw an ascender mountain cat machine before I pick this up at the dealership). The throttle flipper felt natural better than my ski doo especially when side hilling on the can side. I'm about 5'11 handbars felt a little low but can/will adapt.
Power in the mid range was responsive with good pull. Right around 8050rpm was the peak rpm I hit when wot. 10800 ft. elevation was the top of the climb. The top end felt flat every time. I expect this is because in break-in mode. But you aways want to feel that top end torque. I won't touch the clutching until next season unless something is grossly out of whack this winter.
All in all super stoked. The platform is a league above where I was last season on my XM. Track/skid combo well.. Very much looking forward to those deep bouncy off camber climbs that everyone F's up and gets stuck. This kitty will scratch its way to the top.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Lots of GOOD reviews coming in on these sleds... Got me thinking Cat in 2020, but time will tell.

B
Feb 25, 2018
75 skis
35front
140 rear

That will make it feel as planted as an Axys.

55 skis
70 front
120 rear

That will make it a rolly polly super playfull sled

I still need to dial mine in. Only 1 ride so far.

As I see it. : why not set the air pressure for the correct ridehight.. and use the clicks for off /on trail.

Deep snow all in first click(softest)
On trail to get home. Click 2
And for fun: front track in klick 3(or mayby 2) all other in click 1.
Or im I missing the hole point of using qs3??
Spring/main tube for rideheight. And the extratube/evole chamber for soft/stiffnes???

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Did a little more jumping today. My riding partner was a pro snowcross racer and I had him play on it some too. His comments “feels very stable, does everything as you’d expect it to”. I’m a novice when it comes to jumping, but I thought the same. Never kicked me one way or another. It has exceeded all my expectations.

One thing we were discussing since it seems it has about 20hp on his zuke (which it doesn’t) is the mid-range power is insane. When you’re picking through the trees at quarter to half throttle and need to pin it, it pulls incredibly hard and just propels you wherever you want to go.

090A071F-7964-4532-BFC7-CFAD3076DF53.jpeg

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Finally got some hours on my Alpha Juan 165 2 weeks ago in southern BC snow :). Here are some of my thoughts on the first 60km.
The first ride had low snow conditions (3-4’) so had to be very careful of rocks and stumps but still got to play around: Sooo much bottom end compared to my 17 Mtn Cat. Going through steep tree areas is actually fun and being able to feather the throttle around 1/3 to 1/2 is great. The track like everyone’s saying just hooks up so well.

Second and last ride was better snow 5-6’ of bottomless powder. But because it was my last day at home before flying back out to work for 3 weeks I had to take the girlfriend out. She’s not big by any means but another 130lbs makes a difference especially when punching the first tracks up to a cabin.
This sled is NOT made for doubling (duh) but it did so way easier then any other sled I’ve rode. The single rail system made it super easy going on the trail and around corners and leaning and lifting one ski off the ground. (This was actually a lot of fun because it’s very easy to find the balance point and was very stable on one ski and scared the gf a bit haha). Also when sneaking through tight trees then coming up to a long steep pull she hooks in and chews great. We climbed a few big pulls with no tracks and did well for 350lbs+- riders n gear n beer. There was only one steep climb to the cabin I couldn’t make it up with her on and it was probably due to lack of skill not the sled...(steep chew that was starting off around a creek bed so had to crawl then punch it.) I can’t wait to really see what this sleds capable of in the steep n deep...
Even though I’ve beem riding sleds in the Mountains for the last 15 years I know the single rail will help take my medium/average riding skills to a new level, especially in the trees as I had way more confidence in the right stuff doubling. There were a few times she got off and sent some climbs solo and was very impressed.
The only thing I wish it had a bit more top end... but I kinda knew it was about the same as the Zuki from Reviews of the C-TEC2. Bottom end deff makes up for it though. I know this sled will bring nothing but ear to ear grins this winter. ��

Last edited:
Premium Features