• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

e-Start installed on our Alpha

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
We just finished up our e-start(shot) system on our Alpha. We ended up cutting the two battery leads shorter to make the install cleaner. Theres quite a bit of taking pins out of plugs and installing pins into plugs. For those that think it may be a easy swap from sled to sled. It's not. Unless you're ready to swap out all the wiring harnesses. We used the stock battery holder and bent it to fit our Ucap. It fits under the hood perfectly. We also put the starter solenoid in a reachable location, if we ever need to jump the sled. The reason we jammed it all under the hood as I didn't want the bigger seat.

IMG_3966.jpeg IMG_3965.jpeg IMG_3998.jpeg

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
When you say SHOT is it really like Ski Doo? Just a few lbs. worth of penalty?

E
Sep 12, 2008
N 45°31', W 94°14'
When you say SHOT is it really like Ski Doo? Just a few lbs. worth of penalty?

Doubt it...
SHOT starting is only possible with Rotax E-TEC technology. After a first pull-start, the engine charges a lightweight ultracapacitor. For later starts, that stored energy turns the magento into an electric motor; it turns the crank and E-TEC does the rest.

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
Well he using a solenoid so that tells me it has a starter motor, so the only benefit is his capacitors is lighter that even a lithium battery.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Should have just said "Ucap like Shot". Its a regular e-start kit, that we are using. But instead of a battery were using a Ultra-capacitor like on the Doo. pull in the morning and start the rest of the day. The Ucap weighs only 1lb. Or if you don't want to pull start in the sled with the pull start. You can also jump start the sled with one of those jump packs.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Sweet! Way to go barcode!

So how much total weight do you think your adding here?

1lb for the capacitor and how much for the starter/ring gear stuff?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
When I had the e-start kit in the shipping box, I took out the batter and weighed the box of parts it was 12lbs. I didn't even think to weigh the individual parts. The battery is 15lbs.
The sled fires so fast it seems like it doesn't even crank! We've got a 2018 XF in our group and its the same. The second you turn the key it seems to be running! Im certain there's a lot of internal electronics helping out the firing sequence. It's just so fast compared to anything else we've had in our stable.
We're also running the Diamond-S SS can. WOW! this thing is a work of art!
It saves us 13-14lbs depending how my scale is feeling. So I figure we're a clean wash for weight.
That being said I think we're still lighter than our SummitX and way lighter than our(now moved on) Vipers.

Also there's a 1.3 lbs ring on the back of the primary(cat calls it a damper). that gets removed, and replaced with e starter ring gear . So ID say the actual kit is like 10-10.5lbs with out the battery. We also cut the two main battery cables in half so there's some weight also.

Last edited:

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
When I had the e-start kit in the shipping box, I took out the batter and weighed the box of parts it was 12lbs. I didn't even think to weigh the individual parts. The battery is 15lbs.
The sled fires so fast it seems like it doesn't even crank! We've got a 2018 XF in our group and its the same. The second you turn the key it seems to be running! Im certain there's a lot of internal electronics helping out the firing sequence. It's just so fast compared to anything else we've had in our stable.
We're also running the Diamond-S SS can. WOW! this thing is a work of art!
It saves us 13-14lbs depending how my scale is feeling. So I figure we're a clean wash for weight.
That being said I think we're still lighter than our SummitX and way lighter than our(now moved on) Vipers.

Also there's a 1.3 lbs ring on the back of the primary(cat calls it a damper). that gets removed, and replaced with e starter ring gear . So ID say the actual kit is like 10-10.5lbs with out the battery. We also cut the two main battery cables in half so there's some weight also.

Nice work - keep everyone posted on how it works throughout the season.
Sounds like you are using the key to start versus the handle bar button?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Nice work - keep everyone posted on how it works throughout the season.
Sounds like you are using the key to start versus the handle bar button?

No key start. We're using the handle bar button. Id be into removing the key completely but not sure its worth it.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
E start

Barcode
Is this going to be a kit?
I bet there's market for it.
I'd like to have electric start for the wife and daughter but I don't want all the extra weight or the long seat.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Barcode
Is this going to be a kit?
I bet there's market for it.
I'd like to have electric start for the wife and daughter but I don't want all the extra weight or the long seat.

This already is a kit its a e-start kit from Cat. #8639-133. All I did was route the wires where I wanted them and added the Ucap(search "Ultracapacitor Supercapacitor Farad Capacitor Module 16V 60F" on Amazon) Or use a light weight battery.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Looks super clean. Even with a small muffler there’s no room for a full size lithium battery next to the muffler. Woody at Mt Baker Moto-Sports installed mine and he used a really small lithium motorcycle battery next the the muffler. It won’t start the sled cold in the morning. I’m going to try putting a Shorai Lithium battery where you put the Ucap. I prefer the battery and it’s only 2.5lbs total. I’ll have to fab up a bracket tho.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Looks super clean. Even with a small muffler there’s no room for a full size lithium battery next to the muffler. Woody at Mt Baker Moto-Sports installed mine and he used a really small lithium motorcycle battery next the the muffler. It won’t start the sled cold in the morning. I’m going to try putting a Shorai Lithium battery where you put the Ucap. I prefer the battery and it’s only 2.5lbs total. I’ll have to fab up a bracket tho.

All Lithium batteries are like that when really cold. They're ok down around -5/-10C(23-14F) but anything colder they don't have the power to start the sled. They need to be warmed up.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I know. I know how to tickle them to warm them up too. Didn’t work on this one at 40 degrees don’t think it’ll work when it’s 10 either lol. Battery is one third the size of a stock lead acid or direct replacement lithium.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I love having E-start on my 18 MC, expecially with all the pull rope issues guys are having. I put a smaller lead acid battery in it(i think its a size 8?) that weighes about half of the massive size 14 they come with stock. I though about locating everything under the hood as well but i'll save that for a rainy day. I wired a push button e-start button like the 19's have, works slick

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
So we finally got out, and managed a little riding. Our conditions are still pretty horrible!
The Ucap works great. But like the warmer weather!
For some reason on our first ride it didn't want to hold or take(I didn't have my volt meter along) The starter didn't even make a noise when trying it.
The next morning I used a jump pack from cold stat(-15C) fired right up! And worked all day with out an issue. The next morning it was warm out +4C and the Ucap started the sled after sitting overnight. And worked fine the rest of the day! But it was warm out (+5/6C)
I wish it was a bit more consistent in the cold. But !!! They way we have it set up its really easy to jump start. All in all very please with the inaugural test!!
Happy New Year

Allan

D
Feb 9, 2015
jump start

Nice work thanks for sharing! What size / model jump start do guys suggest using? Im think 120v charger capable for quicker recharge of the jump start, except that cant recharge in your truck etc .... so USB or 120v chargeable jump starts?
:juggle:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
What a great idea Barcode! I love it! I am very interested in this set up and interestingly, my question about the super capacitor SHOT system on Skidoos (which asks asking Dubious's question below) made it onto page 8 in the latest Snowtech magazine.

I haven't gone on my Alpha One demo ride yet but, I am fairly convinced a 154" Alpha one will be coming home with me at some point. Now, that I see the prices dropping on them it is really making me think it's might be time to part ways with my 2015 153" x 3" Proclimb.

So, if I get one, would I be better off getting one with factory installed electric start and replace the battery and seat or buy a pull start model and add the electric start kit?

Last edited:

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Electric start

What a great idea Barcode! I love it! I am very interested in this set up and interestingly, my question about the super capacitor SHOT system on Skidoos (which asks asking Dubious's question below) made it onto page 8 in the latest Snowtech magazine.

I haven't gone on my Alpha One demo ride yet but, I am fairly convinced a 154" Alpha one will be coming home with me at some point. Now, that I see the prices dropping on them it is really making me think it's might be time to part ways with my 2015 153" x 3" Proclimb.

So, if I get one, would I be better off getting one with factory installed electric start and replace the battery and seat or buy a pull start model and add the electric start kit?

To my knowledge the only Alpha One with factory installed electric start is the 600cc Alpha One. It wasn't an option when I ordered my 800c Aplha One.
Some guys have added it to the 800cc sleds but I think there was some wire harness changes that needed to be made. There's some info on here somewhere.

Last edited:
Premium Features