• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS Checker and Setting tool

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I got all the stuff from Radio shack and made the tps tester. I noticed that you need to flip the throttle many times and check the readings to see what the voltage is. Mine didn't seem to be off by much, but the first thing that I noticed is that it starts on the first pull now, I have always had to pull the rope twice.

BTW this thread is a sticky, so what is up with all the TTT"s?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I got all the stuff from Radio shack and made the tps tester. I noticed that you need to flip the throttle many times and check the readings to see what the voltage is. Mine didn't seem to be off by much, but the first thing that I noticed is that it starts on the first pull now, I have always had to pull the rope twice.

BTW this thread is a sticky, so what is up with all the TTT"s?

it wasn't a sticky originally

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
just a thinking but wouldn't a 5V DC charger work also i got a old cell phone charger off a samsung phone rated at 5.0 VDC cut off the end install small clips and presto TPS setting tool instead of garbage

Make sure it's a good, solid, clean 5v over a range of loads. Use a scope or a good multimeter (Fluke/Agilent/etc, ≥5000-count) to check this. Switching power supplies are usually pretty good, but make sure they can handle some load (200mA at the very least). Cheap power supplies will have some jitter to them that will add to the measurement error, especially if you're using a cheaper multimeter.

Some chargers also have brains built into them, they'll limit current or adjust voltage to trickle-charge or fast-charge the battery depending on what it sees at the outut terminals. While it may read 5V on a meter (high-impedance), when you hook it up to the sensor (low impedance) it may drop that voltage and throw off your reading significantly.

I have a lab power supply that has a 5V/3A output, and it sits at 5.0004v@0A and 4.997v@2A. I used that and it worked just fine. But I also realize not everyone has a lab power supply at their house.

Last edited:
Make sure it's a good, solid, clean 5v over a range of loads. Use a scope or a good multimeter (Fluke/Agilent/etc, ≥5000-count) to check this. Switching power supplies are usually pretty good, but make sure they can handle some load (200mA at the very least). Cheap power supplies will have some jitter to them that will add to the measurement error, especially if you're using a cheaper multimeter.

Some chargers also have brains built into them, they'll limit current or adjust voltage to trickle-charge or fast-charge the battery depending on what it sees at the outut terminals. While it may read 5V on a meter (high-impedance), when you hook it up to the sensor (low impedance) it may drop that voltage and throw off your reading significantly.

I have a lab power supply that has a 5V/3A output, and it sits at 5.0004v@0A and 4.997v@2A. I used that and it worked just fine. But I also realize not everyone has a lab power supply at their house.

i got a fluke 87 i will try this on my 900 and let you know how it works under load may be a few days since iy split a piston and is dissambled right now but before i reassemble it ill try to set it up ( did have shutdown problems going to rev before it lost piston)

900polman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ft Bridger WY
tps

just got my sled back togather. 09 front end , fat boy cable, which is awsome, checked throttle body and found way out of sinc. set to .710 and .930 very crisp and no bog. starts first pull and reverse works beter than ever. Thanks mh for the good info once again.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
TTT..

another successful TPS adjusted from this GREAT video

make sure you have a perfect reading Battery (4.99-5.01 VDC) through the Voltage regulater..if its not perfect replace battery, if still not...replace regulator

...worthless even attempting to do this w/o them being perfect readings..

Last edited:
T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I just got my 08 D8 back from the dealer after the update. They did the TPS adjustment, but now the throttle lever does not go all the way back to the housing. Can I adjust the slack in the throttle cable with the inline adjuster without messing up my TPS setting.

J
Mar 25, 2008
I just built a tester tonight and when I checked the regulator with a good battery it read 4.80, when I go to set my tps can I just add .20 to the readout to get an accurate setting?

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
TTT..

another successful TPS adjusted from this GREAT video

make sure you have a perfect reading Battery (4.99-5.01 VDC) through the Voltage regulater..if its not perfect replace battery, if still not...replace regulator

...worthless even attempting to do this w/o them being perfect readings..

Where do you go to see the video?

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
900 RMK////Would the TPS not being perfect make my sled run lean at and around full throttle? Its great doing idle to 40 then about it leans out and spark plugs turn white(no good)! Anyways i rebuilt the top end to 06 pistons and replaced oil pump also got reflash done but still lean?????

Thanks for the help!
Grant

S
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks all. Especially MH and Dan. I will post pics of my homebuilt tester and let you know what I discover from your tutelage in 2 weeks when I get back home again.

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
ive bought five regulators from radio shack the best one i can get is 4.97 or 5.03. i dont know if either one of those would be close enough? thats all this radio shack had.

Premium Features