• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

An official CFI Engine Failure Thread

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I've thought about doing this for a long time. I think it's time to have one thread that has nothing but engine failures. This is not at all to be a bash Polaris thread. I think we must realize that for what ever reason, some seem to be having issues and some of us are not. We need to respectful to those that are. This thread is to be ONLY for those that have had engine failures. Please don't post for your buddies or others. Please don't post that you have went 1,500 miles without any problems. I'd like to not clutter up the thread with anything but owners of affected sleds, please.

Try to list as much information as possible and lets see if we can try to come up with some information that might be of some benefit. This thread is intended to give us some information that might help ALL CFI owners. If you've had multiple failures, try to list the dates and mileages if possible.

I would like to compile this information on a spreadsheet and send it Polaris asking for their inputs and anything we as owners of these sleds could do to avert possible issues. If someone wishes to not post in the thread, you could pm me your info.

Please list the following:

Date of Failure
Year
Make
Model
Mileage
Engine Displacement
Track Length
Brand of fuel and octane
Oil Used
Mapping
Ethanol Resistor connected
Elevation that you ride
Area's or locations that you ride

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands
Fuel Controller's
Intake Modifications
Clutch Mod's, kit
Gearing, if other than stock
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.
Aftermarket Boards...
Drop N Roll
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer

EDIT I've added a few more questions

Warranty yes or no
When did Warranty Expire
Updated Pistons yes or no
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc.
Compression Test/Results if done
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure

Edit 2-12-11 Thanks to 2dabar

Injector Color

Also:

Type of Sled Transportation, Enclosed, Open, Deck, etc.
Sled Storage, Indoors, Outdoors, Enclosed Trailer, Heated Shop, Unheated, Summertime Storage, etc.
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure
How may miles into the ride failure occurred

EDIT...ADDED INFO ASKED FOR BY wstilson, Thank you.

Has clutch been balanced...yes or no

I have some theories but would like to see some more data. Thank you for your time. I realize I'm looking for alot of information but I'm not so sure the issues are that cut and dry.

Last edited:

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
'09 failed

1/22/2011 Broke crank, primary clutch, motor mounts, motor cases damaged.
Polaris
Dragon
1085 miles
800 cfi
Pacific Pride 91 non-ethonol
Amsoil interceptor
Stock Map
5k to 8k elevation
Northeastern Oregon, Eagle Caps

Mod's
SLP Can
Tether/ Lanyard
No Fuel Controller
No Intake Modification
No Clutch Mod's
Stock Gearing
No Fuel filter Replacement
No Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.
Standard update/ warranty work performed at the dealer
Primary clutch seperated at the base of the rear sheave, broke down 2nd ride out on new clutch, about a mile away from the pickup.

F

francois

Sep 2, 2010
Quebec, Canada
Date of Failure-16th jan 2011
Year-2009
Make-polaris
Model-dragon 800 163
Mileage-2000
Engine Displacement-800cc
Track Length-163
Brand of fuel and octane-canadian tire super 91 oct.
Oil Used-ves gold
Mapping-april 2010
Ethanol Resistor connected-no
Elevation that you ride-0 to 3500'
Area's or locations that you ride-little mountains, forest, trails

Modifications, Pipes, Cans, Brands-none,challenger extreme 2.5
Fuel Controller's-none
Intake Modifications-slp pre-filter
Clutch Mod's, kit-stock 10-66
Gearing, if other than stock-19/42
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage-700miles, checked it 200miles before engine failure
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.-none
Aftermarket Boards...-none
Drop N Roll-none
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer-2010 updates

J
Mar 18, 2008
Truckee
2008 Dragon

I bought my Dragon 155 new in 08 and is stock, here is a list of parts replaced under warranty in 1800 miles of use: 1 crank and cases(total catastrophic failure), 1 voltage reg., 1 CDI, 2 cylinders, 2 egt sensors, 3 sets of pistons (600 miles per set until loss of compression, and many missed days of riding that cannot be replaced. The sled now has the 2010 update and has lost power and has constant check engine lights that my dealer has been unable to remedy. I run fresh 91 from the same station and add blendsall fuel additive. I run Polaris gold oil and my clutches are always kept fresh and maintained. This sled is a total lemon. My last Polaris.

Last edited:
G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
01/15/11 Mag side cylinder skirt broke off, damaged piston, reed and cylinder
Polaris
Assault
2186 miles
800 cfi
Shell 91 octane (non-ethanol)
Polaris VES gold plus
Stock April map
1500-2500ft elevation
Western Labrador, Canada

Modifications - HPS Can
Fuel controller - Yes but running stock map at time of failure.
Intake modifications - No
Clutch modifications - SLP primary spring, team helix
Gearing - Stock
Fuel Filter Replacement - 270 miles before failure
Engine modifications - No
Aftermarket boards - Feethookers
Drop N Roll - No
Update done at dealer 1300 miles before failure. No other warranty claims.

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
Catastrophic Failure on January 15, 2010
Polaris
RMK Dragon
800 Miles
800 CC
155"
91 Octane from Smith's Fuel Centers
Amsoil Dominator
SLP Stage IV
Ethanol Free setting used
Riding Elevations are 7000-10,000'
Monte Cristo and Unitah's in Utah and Pinedale Wyo.

Modifications, Pipes, Cans, Brands
SLP Single, Air Horn, V Force Reeds, SLP Heads, lots of venting
No Fuel Controller
SLP Air Horn
SLP Clutching suggestion
19/42 Gearing
Fuel Filter not replaced yet
Cylinders were Ported and Polished
Meat Hooker's Board inserts

10 Hour service performed by Tri-city Polaris spring 2010

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2619818&posted=1#post2619818

Last edited:
G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I would like to add that upon further inspection, I noticed a hole in the bottom of my case. Keeps getting better and better....

01/15/11 Mag side cylinder skirt broke off, damaged piston, reed and cylinder
Polaris
Assault
2186 miles
800 cfi
Shell 91 octane (non-ethanol)
Polaris VES gold plus
Stock April map
1500-2500ft elevation
Western Labrador, Canada

Modifications - HPS Can
Fuel controller - Yes but running stock map at time of failure.
Intake modifications - No
Clutch modifications - SLP primary spring, team helix
Gearing - Stock
Fuel Filter Replacement - 270 miles before failure
Engine modifications - No
Aftermarket boards - Feethookers
Drop N Roll - No
Update done at dealer 1300 miles before failure. No other warranty claims.

Date of Failure 01/14/2011
Year 2009
Make polaris
Model Assault
Mileage 2200
Engine Displacement 800cc
Track Length: custom 151
Brand of fuel and octane 91 non-oxy BP fuel
Oil Used Amsoil interceptor
Mapping stock april flash
Ethanol Resistor connected no
Elevation that you ride 1000-2000ft
Area's or locations that you ride
minnesota

Modifications, Pipes, Cans, Brands full slp exhaust
Fuel Controller's: no
Intake Modifications: no
Clutch Mod's, kit: no
Gearing, if other than stock: 20-41
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage: yes at 975 miles and 1900 miles
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.: no
Aftermarket Boards...: no
Drop N Roll: no
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer: new stock pipe and egt sensor. Pipe shield fell apart and egt sensor went bad. 2010 update done at 1000 miles.

Warranty yes or no: no
When did Warranty Expire: jan 2010
Updated Pistons yes or no: yes
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc.: mag side piston failure exhaust side of the piston. Ring broke and caused lots of damage.
Compression Test/Results:no
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure:no

I am a college student and have paid for this sled myself. It makes me angry when i pay 10 grand for a sled and the engine won't even last 1200 miles on a new top end. I've got the whole new top end for the sled once again bought and paid for by me. about 850 just in parts for that and find out that the case was also damaged and will need to be replaced. possibly a crank also.I simply can't afford to fix the case and possibly the crank right now to much $$$ so the sled has been put away for the winter and its not even over yet. I am not a happy camper. the sled is not under warrenty anymore so i have done all the work myself. i can say that i will NOT buy another polaris 800 until they have them figured out. my next sled will be a 600 atleast i know they hold together.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I dont want to type for the next hr but in the first 800 miles the dealer replaced pistons and cylinders 6 times, crank twice, ecu, vr, reeds and injectors. Always ran polaris gold.

Made it 1500+- miles after adding a fuel controller and turbo, broke the skirt off the piston Sunday and ruined the rod, piston, cylinder and punched a hole in the bottom of the case. Tops of pistons still look great and there is very light scuffing on the piston ev side. I should of replaced the pistons earlier but they looked to good, oh well she'll go back together and I'll just change pistons every 1000 and smile while doing it.

Some pics from the various meltdowns and implosions all on my 08 800.........

novpiston3.jpg

febpiston5.jpg

febpiston4.jpg

grrrr018a.jpg

grrrr020aa.jpg

boom005.jpg

boom009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I dont want to type for the next hr but in the first 800 miles the dealer replaced pistons and cylinders 6 times, crank twice, ecu, vr, reeds and injectors. Always ran polaris gold.

Made it 1500+- miles after adding a fuel controller and turbo, broke the skirt off the piston Sunday and ruined the rod, piston, cylinder and punched a hole in the bottom of the case. Tops of pistons still look great and there is very light scuffing on the piston ev side. I should of replaced the pistons earlier but they looked to good, oh well she'll go back together and I'll just change pistons every 1000 and smile while doing it.

Air (outside) Temps, when it failed?

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Air (outside) Temps, when it failed?

Everywhere from -20f to +30f, 1500' - 4000' elevation, 90 octane until boosted then straight 110. Wires unplugged, had an slp can when it was stock. Blue injectors and every update poo had until boosted. Sled is always warmed up to 100 degrees before it moves. And the bool**** that the only guys that burn down run in the midrange need to come for a ride with me sometime! :face-icon-small-coo

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Everywhere from -20f to +30f, 1500' - 4000' elevation, 90 octane until boosted then straight 110. Wires unplugged, had an slp can when it was stock. Blue injectors and every update poo had until boosted. Sled is always warmed up to 100 degrees before it moves. And the bool**** that the only guys that burn down run in the midrange need to come for a ride with me sometime! :face-icon-small-coo
I have ridden with him...not much of a midrange cruiser.......

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
most i have seen have been in over 32 degree temps..seems like the stock mapping really leans them once temps hit 32..I rode my dragon alot in -10 and colder..never got a piston in cold riding..but twice over 32.....

C
Jan 31, 2011
3 700's All Failed

We purchased 3-700 RMK's, brand new, one an 07' the others are 08'. All 3 engines failed between 950 and 1,200 miles.

Cause of engine failures was skirt scoring and a holes in the mag side piston resulting in loss of compression. Dealer rebuilt one engine and it failed exactly as before at 82 miles.

We ride in the Snowies west of Laramie, WY with elevations between 8,500 and 13,000 feet. We always warm our engines up to 120F before ridding and run 91 octane with Polaris VES Gold. The sleds are factory stock.

It is pitiful to spend (waste) $27,000 on new CFI sleds. These engines were marketed as reliable machines when in reality the engines self destruct as if on cue. I contacted Polaris and was told to essentially pound sand. Polaris knows of these problems and refuses to admit to the failures or assist in rectifying the problem. This whole situation is sad as it has cost us loads of $$ and ruined two seasons of ridding.

We are rebuilding 2 engines and traded one for an 08' 800 Dragon. All sleds are for sale. We will not ride again, we are convinced additional failures are guaranteed.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho

mine did the same thing three weeks ago, only had 320 miles on the top end, pto piston skirt broke off on the exhaust side, swung around broke off the bottom of the cylinder then pounded that chunk into the case taking out both pto injectors, brand new reeds( first ride) and blowing three holes out the bottom of the case. i feel i got a bad piston which happens. it sucks but i'm not pissed towards polaris about it. i've had a smile from ear to ear on my face for the last 6000 miles and plan on having one again for the next 6000 miles:D

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
TTT.... from the way ppl have been running their mouths on this forum the last couple years there better be at least 50 more replies to this thread

50, I would have thought it would have been in the hundreds. IMO Polaris finds the failure rate to be acceptable. Is it acceptable when it happens to you? Hell no, it sucks. If your out of warranty the parts are damn expensive. I dont want to sound like there is no problem with the amount of failures, one failure is too many for me but $hit happens. As for the people with porting, pipes, PC,s, and airbox mods, I dont think you have anything to bitch about. Polaris did no testing or validation on these aftermarket parts so why should we expect and warranty consideration? With that being said, I know there are stockers that have failed as well and I feel for the guy. Sorry for the rant.

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
2008 Polaris 700 RMK blew at right at 2000 miles.
Mag side piston scored the piston eroded right at the exhaust side of it. scored cylinder. Happened 1-26-11
Purchased: DEC. 08 900 miles
MODS: SLP Intake and exhaust. Foot well vents.all its life.
OIL: VES GOLD
TRACK: Series 2.4 155
FUEL FILTER has never been replaced as long as i have owned it.
My dad was the one riding it at the time it blew.. he said it first lost reverse push reverse it would die push reverse it would die ect...so he thought big deal i can go with out reverse.. then he said it started to miss then all of the sudden it went completely dead on the mag side. Warranty is off the sled as of 10-21-09 Ran great on my trip 1-2-11 through 1-7-11 then it sat and my dad took it on his trip.

The thing I cannot understand is NOBODY can figure out what caused it... took all the parts to the dealer explained everything in extreme detail and they don't know what could have caused it.. still haven't brought the sled in to have the codes read if there are any.

EDIT:
Premium gas from chevron in ISLAND PARK
COMPLETELY STOCK SLED Minus the Intake and Exhaust
Riding areas Kindred ND, Island Park, ID always run premium non ethanol fuel.

Last edited:
S

skitter

Feb 4, 2009
Date of Failure-1\15\2011
Year- 2009
Make- Polaris Dragon
Model- 800 RMK
Mileage- 700
Engine Size- 800
Track Length- 155
Fuel- 91 octane (no ethenol)
Oil Used- VES Gold
Mapping- Last Recall
Elevation- 8000-10000
Location- Pinedale WY

Modifications- No
Intake Mods- No
Clutch Mods- No
Gearing- Stock
Fuel Filter Repl.- No Not Yet
Engine Mods- No
Failure- Mag side piston scuffed and cylinder scuff, primary
clutch broke in two at base of inner sheeve.
Warranty- Expired June 2010

Water Boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2008
Lumsden Sask Canada
I can understand some of the frustration. Yes there has been more than 1 700 go down and no one at Polaris can tell you why, they just fix them and hope you run out of warranty. I have the warranty bills to prove. Anyway no more whining here is my history with the CFI 4.

Date of Failure: Jan 09
Year: 2008
Model: 700 RMK
Miles: 1300
Track: 155
Fuel: 91 ESSO
Oil: VES Gold
Mapping: Stock
Elevation: 2000

Mods: No, Bone Stock
Fuel Filter change: No
Failure: PTO side piston sized to cylinder
Temp: -15C
Warranty: yes
Traded for 2009 800 Assault

Date of failure: Feb 09 & Jan 11
Year: 2008
Model: 2008 700 Switchback (wifes sled)
Miles: 2800 & 4800
Track: 136
Fuel: 91 ESSO
Mapping: stock first time, reflash second time
Elevation:2000

Mods: no
Intake: SLP prefilters
Clutch: Team Green
Gearing: 23-39
Fuel filter Change: yes two times
Failure: Mag side piston sized to cylinder took out crank, cases etc. replaced with a complete new motor from polaris.
Temp: -20 C
Second Failure: Mag side piston sized to cylinder, repaired with new piston and cylinder.
Temp; -12 C
Warranty: Yes first time, limited second time
Waiting to be traded for a etec 600 Renagade (will not ride because you know its going to fail again, warranty is gone)

Date of failure: Feb 09
Year: 2009
Model: 800 Assault
Miles: 900
Track: 146
Fuel: Shell 91
Mapping: Stock
Elevation: 2000

Mods: No, Bone stock
Fuel filter change: no
Failure: Both pistons scuffed on exaust side. Replaced pistons and cylinders under warranty. Had update done, many reflashes, SLP can etc. Never did run right.
Traded it for a 800 Pro RMK and have not looked back this thing works like it should, 1000 miles and no problems yet.

Premium Features