• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Get your FIX for the RMK 800

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
The Fix Update

anybody have any miles on these yet?

tjmcc,

I have over 300 miles on my kit so far. Not that 300 miles is a ton of miles. But the motor not only sounds better, the engine has more power, the power band is like my old edge 800 but only with more power.

Ok cross my fingers, but so far so good. I feel more confident with this engine now with this update done then I have before.

This engine now performs way better now then before and has some real good midrange and top end power compared to before. I can also say that it is impressive how strong it pulls now.

Please remeber I also have had the orignal style non updated polaris higher compression cylinder head with the orignal 08-09 fuel map installed. (This also adds some additional power.) The only other mod that has been done is plugging off the exhaust valve soleniod and changing the variable exhaust valve springs to pink with information provided by Monte.

I can also tell you that PMS did a good job designing this kit as well as installing it. I would go back to Shawn at PMS for future repairs or upgrades in the future. There service was good and the prices were fair and as quoted.

If any one is near Aston dont be afraid to stop by and see the crew at PMS. They have a pretty nice stocked and set up polaris dealership. This is only a 30 mile drive from Island Park, ID.

So far in my honest opinion I think you cant go wrong for the money since it is not much more expensive then buying parts from polaris and the kit design only makes sense with the correct factory piston & ring to cylinder tolerances but the longer piston doesnt seem to hurt for the added stability and a little better lubrication for the heat on the exhaust side cant hurt.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
the fix

Is it still worth doing with the updated head and flash, or do they recommend to go back to the 08 head and flash, my 09 d8 idles like crap with 200 miles on the updates....

M
Dec 30, 2009
i have a 09 dragon 800 and today out riding it started to act up and it kept jumping rpms sometimes it would run 8 grand and then it would cut out at 6800 rpm i dont know where to start looking to fix the problem my warrenty is up at the end of the month and from what ive been hearing is that the pistons on these sleds are not lasting
anyone got some answers thanks

M

miralas

Nov 27, 2010
Bozeman, MT
i have a 09 dragon 800 and today out riding it started to act up and it kept jumping rpms sometimes it would run 8 grand and then it would cut out at 6800 rpm i dont know where to start looking to fix the problem my warrenty is up at the end of the month and from what ive been hearing is that the pistons on these sleds are not lasting
anyone got some answers thanks

here's a thread i started about the same deal.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2561701

after i toward apart my engine because of what i saw, i found my piston on the PTO side was super scored on the intake side of it. of coarse i just bought this sled and am now fixing someone elses mistake, and just checked and the engine was just out of warranty 3 months ago. if i were you, i would check your exhaust valves, if you see anything like i did i would make your dealer tear apart your motor and check everything. after i honed my cylinder's i had found a chip in the nicasil, so when they take it apart you need to make sure they do a good job looking at it. maybe you can get some new parts if anythings ruined, that's less out of your pocket if your motor decides to blow up any time soon. i'm buying my Fix Kit tomorrow to reassure this doesn't happen again.

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
THE FIX www.pmspolaris.com

Is it still worth doing with the updated head and flash, or do they recommend to go back to the 08 head and flash, my 09 d8 idles like crap with 200 miles on the updates....

hey, you can run the update head and flash, or you can run the 08 head or an aftermarket head and the 08 flash. As long as you run the combination that was recommended from polaris you are not going to have a problem. If you want to run the higher compression then I would start with the 08 flash. If you want to save some cash and run the update head then use the 10 flash. Both will run well, the higher compression will run better, but you won't have any trouble with either. We have kits in stock, and we truely have the data to prove that it fixes the engines.

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
hey, you can run the update head and flash, or you can run the 08 head or an aftermarket head and the 08 flash. As long as you run the combination that was recommended from polaris you are not going to have a problem. If you want to run the higher compression then I would start with the 08 flash. If you want to save some cash and run the update head then use the 10 flash. Both will run well, the higher compression will run better, but you won't have any trouble with either. We have kits in stock, and we truely have the data to prove that it fixes the engines.

PMS, can you fix the electronics now please!:face-icon-small-ton

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
I just wanted to post some pictures of my engine with the fix it kit installed that shows the shim plate in one of the pictures just below the jugs.

I have also attached pictures of the old polaris updated pistons that show scuffing and scoring at only 113 miles on them. I understand the coating wears off these pistons usually with in a few hundred miles but use your own judgement.

DSC03375.jpg DSC03382.jpg DSC03383.jpg DSC03385.jpg DSC03389.jpg DSC03384.jpg DSC03388.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some quick questions...for PMSPOLARIS

Why did you chose a forged piston over a cast piston?

With the cylinder shimmed up... what happens with pipe mounting?

With the cylinder shimmed up... how is the fuel rail "stretched" to accommodate the longer distance between the upper and lower sets of injectors?

Is the compression ratio altered.. If so, by how much?

Is the squish changed at all with the use of the new pistons? OR... Is the dome of the new pistons the exact shape and dimensions as the the factory Polaris pistons?

Looks like you put some thought into it... Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop.

Last edited:

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
YOU WILL HAVE TO ASK MTNTK THOSE QUESTIONS

Some quick questions...for PMSPOLARIS

Why did you chose a forged piston over a cast piston?

With the cylinder shimmed up... what happens with pipe mounting?

With the cylinder shimmed up... how is the fuel rail "stretched" to accommodate the longer distance between the upper and lower sets of injectors?

Is the compression ratio altered.. If so, by how much?

Is the squish changed at all with the use of the new pistons? OR... Is the dome of the new pistons the exact shape and dimensions as the the factory Polaris pistons?

Looks like you put some thought into it... Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop.

I Will pass it on to MTNTK, they will have to answer those questions for you. But I can answer this everyone of those questions are good and MTNTK has it worked out!

Top Notch

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hartford, S.D.
www.topnotchdetailing.biz
Dub & TopNotch,

Just wondered if either if you may have an update yet or any additional info or ride reports about the fix kit from pmspolaris yet?

I only have about 30 miles on mine so far. The work thing is messing with my play time right now. We'll be going to Laramie in 2 weeks. I'll be able to give more input after that.

M

miralas

Nov 27, 2010
Bozeman, MT
glad you did that MountainHorse, cuz i follow these said religiously. i have my kit waiting in my garage and after i get my cylinders r replated i will try hard to keep you guys updated. my sled is bone stock except for the MBRP silencer that came with it, so for those guys that r just hoping to have a reliable sled over a powerful sled i'm hoping i will be some kind of help.

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Dub & TopNotch,

Just wondered if either if you may have an update yet or any additional info or ride reports about the fix kit from pmspolaris yet?

The D8 belongs to my buddy as of the 1st burn down last season:face-icon-small-hap... We got 150 miles on it so far and things are going good, we pulled the EV's out after 100 miles and had a peak, no prob's. Sled still sounds good, idles good and pulls very hard.

I plugged the EV's (as you had done), but went back to stock with them. We noticed hotter temps in the mid range on EGT's with them plugged, also had a small low end burble. I don't know if it amkes much difference but I have had the pink springs in the entire time.

R44guy, I am not sure if we are a good one to give feedback right now... Between 25-30 deg when we take off at 9 AM and goes up to 50 deg in the afternoon, all hardpack garbage right now. Either way we have a 15 mi 4 lane hwy to hall a$$ to the hill on and haven't burned it down yet!

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
The D8 belongs to my buddy as of the 1st burn down last season:face-icon-small-hap... We got 150 miles on it so far and things are going good, we pulled the EV's out after 100 miles and had a peak, no prob's. Sled still sounds good, idles good and pulls very hard.

I plugged the EV's (as you had done), but went back to stock with them. We noticed hotter temps in the mid range on EGT's with them plugged, also had a small low end burble. I don't know if it amkes much difference but I have had the pink springs in the entire time.

R44guy, I am not sure if we are a good one to give feedback right now... Between 25-30 deg when we take off at 9 AM and goes up to 50 deg in the afternoon, all hardpack garbage right now. Either way we have a 15 mi 4 lane hwy to hall a$$ to the hill on and haven't burned it down yet!

Dub,

How much hotter were the egts with the EV's plugged with the pink springs in? I am surprised to hear this but at what elevation were you riding at? Thanks for the feed back.

P

polhiker

Nov 2, 2002
Chinook,montana
I too just ordered my today,bought a 08 with 400 miles on mew jugs and pistons,befor i was going to ride it i pulled the ev to clean them,and saw a scored piston on the meg side,so pulled the head and cylender looks great so i am lucky there,the thing that really bothered me was i could move both pistons back and forth with a thumping noise so i put a feeler gauge along side the pistons and could get 10 thousands on both sides using 2 feeler guages,and at 8400 rpms i can just imagine what that piston is doing in there,these pistons are brand new what poor workmanship,can waite to put pms kit in.

Premium Features