• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Get your FIX for the RMK 800

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
I am considering purchasing this kit for my 09 D8 and wanted to know if any one else has tried it and how the results have been so far. They say that it makes 6 more hp, I know my sled lost power since the 2010 polaris head & piston update.

Thanks for your feed back. Feel free to see the link below for more info on this kit.

http://www.pmspolaris.com/thefix.htm

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Shimarama

XC6, Yeah the pistons are taller and wider to help with the clearence issues and the extra height stablizes the piston to keep it from slapping. It is suppose to be more reliable with very little to no wear compared to the excessive wear the stock 2010 update has.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Interesting. That is not the first I've heard of that theory. Not long ago a very knowledgeble guy had a very interesting thought about just such a thing. I enjoyed the conversation very much. He has been in the performance world for quite a while and was doing some measuring and finding some very odd things with the 800 motor. I guess he wasn't the only one.

I don't know or claim to know enough about it. The thought was more low end, more HP and having to turn less RPM. Port timing issue maybe. I see they are also using the better spec. Wiseco pistons.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
The Fix

Monte,

I am also intrigued by this mod and since the seller or the manufacturer always states it is the Fix and promises more power and reliability and there have not been any official prduct reviews I am a little skeptical. I really want input from any other owners before I make a decision to buy it or before I possibly waste my time or money if it is not truly a proven product.

The theory makes some sense and the timing doesnt really appear to change, it looks like they just lengthen the piston height and use the spacer to adjust for the extra piston height. I guess it is unclear but it looks like the displacement remains unchanged. The rings appear to stay seated in the orignal cylinder jugs and do not run up into the spacer? It looks like the spacer will go on top of the jug but maybe it could go under it?

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Monte,

I am also intrigued by this mod and since the seller or the manufacturer always states it is the Fix and promises more power and reliability and there have not been any official prduct reviews I am a little skeptical. I really want input from any other owners before I make a decision to buy it or before I possibly waste my time or money if it is not truly a proven product.

The theory makes some sense and the timing doesnt really appear to change, it looks like they just lengthen the piston height and use the spacer to adjust for the extra piston height. I guess it is unclear but it looks like the displacement remains unchanged. The rings appear to stay seated in the orignal cylinder jugs and do not run up into the spacer? It looks like the spacer will go on top of the jug but maybe it could go under it?

I don't know at all what to think of this. I agree with you that there is a lot of uncertainty with something like this. Some of the issues with this motor were solved just by switching to the wiseco pistons and adding a power commander. They must be awfully confident though if they are having Wiseco manufacture a specially spec'd piston for this application. I understand there are some big numbers involved if you have Wiseco do that.

I wish the designer would get on here and discuss more about their findings and why they went the route they did. I did just send them an email so hopefully someone responds. I think a lot of us would be interested in what they have to say.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
The fix update

So I called and spoke to the parts department. They have there sevice department calling me back For the last 3 days now regarding additional info. As well as a possible install when we are out in Island Park next week but business must be to good to call me back.

Last edited:
R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
The Fix Report

Ok all I talked to Shawn today and he designed this kit, he will also be posting some additional information as well.

Shawn explained that the 2010 update has a big piston clearence concern which is about 6-8 thousand and that the actual spec is 3.9 to 5.9. This was done because of the wear issue on all of the burn downs where the thrust side always seems to look good but the exhaust side wears a real shine like grove just below the crown line.

Apparently this is where all of the wear takes place and this is the reason for this fix kit. The pistons were developed to Shawns specs, Shawn has been involved in building t 2 strokes for a long time and based on his knowledge he knew that the polaris piston is to short and rocks or teeters at the top of the compression stroke and that is where the wear ring is on the exhasut side just below the crown.

So he had the new piston made about a 1/4 inch longer and slightly bigger, the crown to the piston has been lenghtened and that is why the shim makes up the difference for the heigght and does not change the timing or the stroke of the actual engine, this also reduces the piston rocking or twisting motion. The cylinders need to be honed out to fit the new pistons which come with the wiseco's special coating to help reduce wear.

This kit does make about 5 hp more and produce about 100 more rpm at the top of the power ban since the pictons are 40 grams lighter then the stock pistons. All of this information is just what I can recall from our phone conversation for now. This company has had good luck in returning these sleds back to the orignal 2008 tune from polaris when this kit is installed and they claim about 150 hp on the dyno with out a power commander and with everything else stock.

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
So can anyone add this kit themselves or does the monoblock have to be fitted to the pistons?

I
Nov 26, 2007
The Fix

I've left Shawn several emails/voice mails asking him to call me back to discuss the specifics of this kit specifically around the piston used/availability etc. I ride with someone doing his own version of this mod and he's had great success and reliablility but it would be nice to get some info on this directly from Shawn. No such luck so far on this end...

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
The Fixx

Dub,

Yes shawn appears to be very knowledgable and actually knows what he is talking about but he was hard for me to reach until today.

Shawn will be installing my fix a weak from today when I am out in Island Park so I will let you all know how it works since i will beable to test it all week.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Fix

Piston availability is a serious question with this kit. I'm a flatlander and if the motor goes south I'm not looking to have to call PMS so they can call Weissco to order me some pistons. I would want to call Weissco directly and get some pistons ASAP!

Premium Features