• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gore-Tex Yes Gore-Tex Supports Limiting Your Wilderness Access

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Go Here Conservation Alliance Website

Click on Membership

Then go down to W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
Click on the link to the website and select consumer.

While you are on the conservation alliance's website click on "Grants" and search for your state, or riding area.

Then go see what kind of groups they give grants to Here is what comes up for idaho.

Winter Wildlands Alliance is a national nonprofit organization promoting and preserving winter wildlands and a quality human-powered snowsports experience on public lands. Support from The Conservation Alliance helps WWA and its 34 grassroots groups broker on-the-ground solutions that ensure healthy winter ecosystems and a quality recreation experience for backcountry and Nordic skiers, snowboarders and snowshoers. Current initiatives include efforts to protect non-motorized winter areas in Utah's Central Wasatch Range, Mt. Jefferson, Montana, Togwotee Pass, Wyoming, Tumalo Mountain, Oregon and many others.

Last edited:

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Kind of old news, you will be hard pressed to find a large company that does not contribute funds to environmental causes and shut downs. May be oversimplified, but I think those companies feel like they will stave off attack if they contribute funds?

I came to the realization about 10 years ago that most of what we buy off the retailer shelves, a portion of that money is going to work against us.

The unfortunate truth, I just don't have any confidence in the American consumer to boycott companies that contribute funds for "environmental" causes.

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Vote with your dollars and buy products that use other suppliers. Almost everybody but KLIM uses an alternative product.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
We work closely with Gore, and nothing could be further from the truth I have had this specific conversation with Gore reps, calling them on this point, and there is actually an explicit effort within Gore to support equal access and motorsports specifically. As was mentioned previously, it is difficult for a large company, especially one as huge and global as Gore, to not get tied to various causes as an unintended result. Gore 100% supports snowmobilers, off road riders, etc. They "get" that shutting down access to one group in support of another is a loss for all. In fact, they have made cash donations to the Blue Ribbon Coalition in support of these goals. They are also a very large, and long-term, sponsor of sledfilm, snowmobiler specific avy courses, etc. As an aside, one of their main West coast reps, who works with all industries and users, is an avid off-road 4 wheeler.

As far as I know, Klim is the only major manufacturer of snowmobile gear that uses Gore-Tex. I have also had this conversation with Klim reps, and they thoroughly vet their suppliers to ensure that they are doing good things for the entire industry.

Last edited:
E
Jan 10, 2012
Wisco/Wyo
I have had similar conversations with Doug Graham at Gore and the klim guys. While your post above is all true and matches the conversations I have had, the dollars/power generated by the dollars do not compare. Yes, they made at least one very recent donation to the BRC prompted by pressure but as a company the $ has to be 100:1 plus to the enviro groups working for closures. At least there are folks at Gore open to talking to the motorized crowd and I guess that is a start, but by no means should they be defended.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I can't speculate on conversations others have had. Beyond my own conversations and research into the issue, my instinct tells me that Polaris would not send a growing amount of $'s towards a company (Gore) unless they felt that their goals were aligned. Not only does Polaris own Klim, but some of the new Polaris line now features Gore-Tex.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
For hunters, Gore owns Sitka now, too. Doesn't make the customers happy with their competitor/supplier.

S
Access

I've been a member of the climbing community for 20+ years and we have similar issues concerning resticted access to climbing areas and the environmental impact of placing bolts in the rock. It's hard to believe, but in states such Texas and North Carolina, access is a real problem for the foot powered adventurer as well. Perhaps the real enemy never leaves the pavement.

Last edited:
W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Anyone who thinks their going to get the straight skinny from a KLIM or gore tex rep is a fool. They are going to tell you what you want to hear in order to get the sale.

If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to buy from an alternate supplier then I guess you don't really care that much about riding.

This isn't any different than using tax payer dollars to pay the legal fees for groups suing to get our lands closed.

Premium Features