• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
We arrived Friday,10/20. Stayed at the Super 8. What a dump! Sent you two PM's a week or better before we arrived about our intentions. :face-icon-small-hap
I should see Issac this month at Snowcross. Tried hooking up with him at Hay Days, but did not connect. :face-icon-small-win
UGH! my PMs :( heres my # so you have it good sir!! im more then willing to meet you this winter to ride :) 970 -756 -0635

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
all my sled riding friends are 8 to 35 yrs younger so the 850 helps even the playing field.

going on 68 pretty soon but just snowed 6 in last nite in hills and next 7 days is all snow for hills also, looks like an early season, keep exercising and keep in the game.

DAMN
68 and still going STRONG!

There is hope yet!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

And its the same for me.
I don't ride with hardly anyone over 40
Always out with the younger guys, most are under 30!

srfink

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2013
Great Falls, MT
My son-in-law got me back into it a couple years ago. He's half my age and can ride with the best of em. I'm 50. Our first ride together was Cooke. It was a few years ago and it was DEEP......Like I haven't seen days like that since then. Of course he's ripping around like it's nothing and I have never ridden in the MTNS. So you can imagine how sore I was the first time out....
The first thing he taught me was avy terrain and how to read it. After heading out to where we were going to sled for the day, he had veered off up a pretty good incline. I took a quick break to watch. When he returned, he said "I chucked my Beacon up there.......Go find it! Have you done that?" Well I had been through Mike Duffy's class, so "YEP!!" As I took off to find the transceiver, he followed me to make sure I was doing it correctly. I found it immediately and pretty sure he was fairly impressed.....We continued to train for the day and had a blast sledding as well.
That started, not only my passion again for sledding, but an awesome friendship and relationship between us. He's got me hooked....In fact I put almost twice the days sledding than he does. I will never quit.
I've recently taken up CrossFit and love it......It is an awesome community and workout like the sled world. See you out there boys!!!

Turcatbo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2015
NEVER stop.

The big thing is just don't ever stop. Do what you can, and push it. If you ever stop pushing, you loose ground. Stuff starts to hurt, work around it, but keep going. I work hard in summer, and get to play in winter, ski, sled, karate, etc. I'm 53, and plan to be skiing pow at 80, probably won't be over the turbo addiction by then either. :face-icon-small-ton

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I'm from Eastern Idaho also.
I'm 48 and hope I don't ever have to slow down. I don't attack the nastiest gnarliest crap I can find but I've never done that.
I carry a shovel and do more of it than I used to but my back isn't a 25 year old's anymore either. I am not afraid to get stuck and go out with the attitude that it is going to happen before the day is over. Either from pushing myself or just plain screwing up. Usually it happens multiple times from both over the course of the day.

I am not the oldest guy in our group but when the younguns get in trouble I am the one that usually has to go get em.

Let's hook up and go for a ride this winter.
For me, you hit the nail right on the head. So much is about attitude. Last year in Island Park I had to side hill and follow my kid and his buddies upward to our next location and it looked very intimidating to me so before I started out, I did the best I could as far as what to do and said I know I can do this. I accomplished the best side hill I have ever done. My point is, for me confidence is a big factor. This is a boring story for most of you, but for a flat lander with a side hill rating of somewhere between suck and okay, I felt pretty good about it. Age is just a number. :clock::face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When he returned, he said "I chucked my Beacon up there.......Go find it! Have you done that?" Well I had been through Mike Duffy's class, so "YEP!!" As I took off to find the transceiver, he followed me to make sure I was doing it correctly. I found it immediately and pretty sure he was fairly impressed.....

OUTSTANDING!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The big thing is just don't ever stop. Do what you can, and push it. If you ever stop pushing, you loose ground. Stuff starts to hurt, work around it, but keep going. I work hard in summer, and get to play in winter, ski, sled, karate, etc. I'm 53, and plan to be skiing pow at 80, probably won't be over the turbo addiction by then either. :face-icon-small-ton

Just IMAGINE the new technology we will have in 25 years!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For me, you hit the nail right on the head. So much is about attitude. Last year in Island Park I had to side hill and follow my kid and his buddies upward to our next location and it looked very intimidating to me so before I started out, I did the best I could as far as what to do and said I know I can do this. I accomplished the best side hill I have ever done. My point is, for me confidence is a big factor. This is a boring story for most of you, but for a flat lander with a side hill rating of somewhere between suck and okay, I felt pretty good about it. Age is just a number. :clock::face-icon-small-hap

Well Done.
You pushed yourself and accomplished something better than you had ever done before. Congrats!

1aaa8d6f918782835f2acc9c278aec4a--winter-sports-winter-fun.jpg

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
You guys who are shredding it into your 60's, 70's, and 80's are inspiring! I just turned the big 5-0 this year and plan on going hard for as long as I can. Like Christopher, I traded off the turbo-Yammies for lighter weight two strokes a few years ago and changed my riding to focus on more technical tree riding. This had definitely made me a better rider as I work to keep up to my sled buddies. Just need to make time to hit the gym and get in better shape! In the mean time I have enjoyed years of riding with my two boys and they are always ready to help pull me out. Rode my Axys 163x3" the last couple of years and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to picking up my G4 175 as the demo really impressed me with how easy it was on my shoulders last year. Looking forward to a great season!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I have really enjoyed and been inspired by all the comments. There is unique challenges we have as we get older.

I think this has been good for all of us. Christopher maybe it's time for a forum dedicated to riders over 50???

Thoughts????

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have really enjoyed and been inspired by all the comments. There is unique challenges we have as we get older.

I think this has been good for all of us. Christopher maybe it's time for a forum dedicated to riders over 50???

Thoughts????

Its certainly a doable option.
But we would need REGULAR CONTENT to put in there.

What I do think would be fun is a new BADGE 50+ Riders...
@cerialsledder

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
DAMN
68 and still going STRONG!

There is hope yet!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

And its the same for me.
I don't ride with hardly anyone over 40
Always out with the younger guys, most are under 30![/QUOTE
um
DANG SLASH! I was just in Idaho, stayed in Blackfoot on the way to Vegas. I should have hooked up with you again. Over 60, spaced it out. :face-icon-small-dis You will in my 60 club soon enough.:face-icon-small-coo
To you young and old riders. I ride with 23-24 year old guys that rip dirt bikes in the summer and sleds in the winter and they make some riding look soooooo easy. But it is more than just riding sleds. Just being out in the mountains with all that beautiful snow and scenery, and basically all to yourself with people you enjoy spending time with, taking pictures, eating home made venison jerky and just having a good laugh. Priceless. I enjoy watching others hitting the pow, climbing the hills, and getting stuck.:eyebrows: And honestly, some of the best memories are after the ride. Cooking steaks on the barb then sitting in the outdoor hot tub when it's -20 having a beer. Or stopping at your favorite pizza pub or saloon after a hard days ride. And lets not forget the new people you meet! Take lots of pictures everyone!:face-icon-small-ton
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

KFSNOW

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'm 56 and still love to ride as hard as I can, Apr 2015 in the Snowy's I compound fractured my right leg, I was told I was lucky to save the foot, a ton of damage. Today I have very limited use of the ankle but I still ride as hard as I can. But today I'm a little cautions hitting a jump due to the drainage I landed in and broke my leg. Accidents happen you just have to recover and get back after it. Keep up the riding and do it to the best of your ability and enjoy your time in the mountains with good friends.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
The last two years I've been in two rear end collisions (uninsured motorist) and went thru a double hernia surgery last fall.:face-icon-small-sho I had to sit on the sidelines last year and heal, not easy to do, looked like a great season that I missed. I'll be rockin' Elka stage 5 shocks, a neck brace, knee brace, carbon fiber helmet to try to get a few more seasons in, then it looks like a snowbike will be in my future. It's been a good run of 22 seasons, their won't be anything left when I'm done with this body.:eyebrows:

Sorry for your losses but at least should be a great season for you this season, just went up yesterday and was the earliest start yet, 11/6/17 where I started had about 8 in and went into 18 in to about 2 ft mostly all powder but used older sled because of rocks/ski damage all posted on the Washington greenwater thread, keep positive, I had to run the dogs yesterday some as my retired friend was hunting so had to brave it alone with dogs.
I usually don't ride alone but took it easy, no jumps.

IMG_2104.jpg IMG_2111.jpg IMG_2118.jpg IMG_2123.jpg IMG_2158.jpg

Premium Features