• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 9000

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
so how are these sleds
i have not rode in the past few years and had my 2013 1100t sitting here waiting
how is the clutching drive train on the 2016?

thinking of selling my 2013 and just buying a 2016 and adding all my ego stuff to new one
rather than trying to get the 2013 drive train fixed with all the ad ons, mine has blown a couple belts in 300 miles once i put the evo stuff on, but before that the belts and everything looked great when stock..

just thinking instead of putting any more money into this one put it into a 2016

but how much better are they?

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Haven't seen a 2016...

Not on the snow, anyways. I have a modded 2013 with the 2016 front end and 3" power claw and the difference in how it handles / gets up on the snow is considerable. I would think the new hyvo gears and Team clutching would be a step in the right direction, too - the 2016 800's I rode this past spring showed how much this chassis has evolved over it's predecessors, I've no reason to believe that the 4S hasn't done the same. I've no plans to trade mine in anytime soon as I've kept up with most of the changes (have a belt drive and seriously beefed up clutches) and to be honest, I love the sled - it gets far more ride time then my backup M800 with Arctic Edge 925 big bore (which also has a ton of upgrades). Four strokes aren't for everyone, but a with a little tweaking and tuning on the suspension, they are more then capable in the back country...

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Now we're getting somewhere.

I too love mine, and have done a significant amount of update mods as well as the EVO stuff to clean things up and make it better.

It is an absolute blast to ride, and I have not grenaded a belt, I just watch them and I've replaced a couple along the way that get frayed.

I dumped the reverse gear set and would like a belt drive for piece of mind.

I wonder if AC will be discontinuing the 9000 for '17 due to poor sales.
I agree it isn't for everyone but it sure is a blast when dialed in.

It may be heavier than the 8000 but it is a powerhouse that floats on top and goes where I tell it.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
The handling of the 2016s are very improved with the new front end. The reason up here you haven't seen 2016 9000s is because the economy isn't allowing people to upgrade. For what you save on a '14 you can make it as good or better than a '16. What we have seen is dozens of the new front end getting done to the '12-'15 from customers keeping their sleds. Most have a track upgrade done previously, but they are adding other parts like an Evo brv kit, ditching their piggyback box for a real mountain specific Evo reflash, skis, shocks, lighting, or a stereo to keep their interest in their sled going.

From a dealer standpoint it is extremely hard to take used non current 1100s on trade because of rebates on new non currents. Also the general perception that all 1100s are crap makes resale almost impossible from a private level, let alone a dealer level that has to include the possibility of sitting on stock for a year. No one waves the 1100 flag stronger than us but it's almost impossible to fight public perception, and we've been doing that for years.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Well said...

The handling of the 2016s are very improved with the new front end. The reason up here you haven't seen 2016 9000s is because the economy isn't allowing people to upgrade. For what you save on a '14 you can make it as good or better than a '16. What we have seen is dozens of the new front end getting done to the '12-'15 from customers keeping their sleds. Most have a track upgrade done previously, but they are adding other parts like an Evo brv kit, ditching their piggyback box for a real mountain specific Evo reflash, skis, shocks, lighting, or a stereo to keep their interest in their sled going.

From a dealer standpoint it is extremely hard to take used non current 1100s on trade because of rebates on new non currents. Also the general perception that all 1100s are crap makes resale almost impossible from a private level, let alone a dealer level that has to include the possibility of sitting on stock for a year. No one waves the 1100 flag stronger than us but it's almost impossible to fight public perception, and we've been doing that for years.
^^^^ this. As my employment is in the oil and gas industry, this year has made it not feasible to buy a new sled. The M1100T / M9000 has gotten a very poor reception due to the 2012's not quite being ready, and cat being slow to come to the plate with fixes for motor alignment on some of the sleds that had issues (usually once power was added) The heavy feeling can be tuned out of them for the most part with suspension tweaks, I've spent a bit of time dialing in the 1100T with different spring rates and a few different ski combinations to find my "happy place". I will add that MOST have very little ride time on one that was set up properly, and tried miserably to ride it like a 2S - you NEED to plan ahead when riding the turbo 4S, as they react a lot differently. Had I rode a stock one before I snowchecked I likely wouldn't have bought one as it took some time to adjust, not to mention Cat has a tendency to use the same suspension springs and clutching from the 2S across the board, whether it's a 600 or a turboed 1100 4 stroke, so changes were needed to extract the full potential of the machine. So would I buy another? You bet your a$$ I will, as I haven't found a machine yet that puts a smile on my face like the 1100T has, and I've ridden (and owned) a lot of sleds, most of them modded. My wife, who's primary ride is a Pro RMK with a Carl's big bore and Kmod suspension, has ridden the 4 stroke and commented that although it is heavier, she'd have no issues riding it as her primary sled in the mountains, so if a 5'2" seasoned female can handle it, there's no reason that any man in good physical condition couldn't, either. There are a few holdovers in the crate still that will be around in spring due to the low snow conditions and current economy, I plan to build another EVO powered cat in the near future, and keep "Oprah" as a backup sled...
Don't get me wrong, this sled wasn't designed to play in the trees all day as the weight will play on you after a while, but it is capable of doing so - just might take a bit more effort on the rider's part.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
so for my 2013

sounds like i should look into getting the 2016 front end and
possibly the 2016 clutches?

what is best way to address motor alignment
i had the OSP tool once and checked that my alignment according to the tool was off
i bought the OSP bracket and bump stop thing but have not installed.

i have also read that the secondary is just junk in stock form
and the primary is ok
i think that only change in clutching i did when i got the evo stuff was heavier weights

i will add when i have blown a belt it blows to pieces and shredded, its everywhere

i hope that helps you understand what its doing

would i be better to start by changing clutches vs all the other stuff?

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Alignment 1st.

so for my 2013

sounds like i should look into getting the 2016 front end and
possibly the 2016 clutches?

what is best way to address motor alignment
i had the OSP tool once and checked that my alignment according to the tool was off
i bought the OSP bracket and bump stop thing but have not installed.

i have also read that the secondary is just junk in stock form
and the primary is ok
i think that only change in clutching i did when i got the evo stuff was heavier weights

i will add when i have blown a belt it blows to pieces and shredded, its everywhere

i hope that helps you understand what its doing

would i be better to start by changing clutches vs all the other stuff?
Alignment is key. It doesn't matter what you have for clutches if the alignment is off. Align everything up, service the primary and either run a tied secondary or STM IMHO. I'd be willing to bet tour c to c distance is too long, so when the belt is pulled into the cheese grater of a helix that ends in a blown belt. Venting helps cool the clutches too - the wrap may look cool, but there's no place for it on Cat's turbo 4S.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
I have an extra 38" A-arm kit in the box (green) if anyone needs it.
I bought 2 kits from an AC dealer closeout and still have not changed mine.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
We sold one '16 9000 and my customer immediately bought all the EVO stuff. He has a '13 and loves it, time to upgrade. He has the OSP stuff on his '13 and loves the sled. We went EVO on the '16 and hopefully he loves the end result even more. The biggest issue was getting the sled. Barely showed up before Christmas.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
We sold one '16 9000 and my customer immediately bought all the EVO stuff. He has a '13 and loves it, time to upgrade. He has the OSP stuff on his '13 and loves the sled. We went EVO on the '16 and hopefully he loves the end result even more. The biggest issue was getting the sled. Barely showed up before Christmas.

Nothing performs like Evo in the mountains, there's a reason that's all you see. He'll love it more for sure.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
when i measured the c to c was long and art was off side to side a tour too if i remember
what do you mean by service the primary?
what is a good clutch set up for my sled
i have the 215 flash, blankets , evo brv valve
cold air intake
just a basic set up

i think all i did to clutching was put in heavier weights

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
clutching

I have basically the same setup and run MDS adjustable weights in the primary along with a black Polaris spring, in the secondary a 36/44 progressive helix and the stock spring.

Along with you guys I did the new 36" front end and feel it has made a huge improvement in the handling of this sled. No other sled has even come close to putting a smile on my face like this one does when on the gas. I do try my damnedest not to get stuck and it changes the way I ride when it is just me and my wife out for the day, if you have more helpers it is easier to push it and try more technical stuff that you can have help with when it goes badly. I am addicted to the power of this sled, I just wish it was lighter.

Premium Features