• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To rebuild or not to rebuild...that is the question

S
Jan 28, 2015
Long story short, went out for a rip with the boys, fouled a plug, changed it and continued on, got on top of the mountain sputtering and farting, decided to head home, made it half way and it started getting considerably slower so I stopped....wife came and rescued me....again, opened it up and it's missing half the mag side piston....fack....the sleds in alright shape structurally, body not so much....what would it cost to rebuild these motors? Was thinking about a newer sled next fall....decisions decisions...

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
sounds to me something else caused you to lean out wether it be a cracked throttle body boot, leaking crank seal or a plugged injector, even a kinked fuel filter line could lean it out if you were running one of SPI's filters. I would pull the motor fully and do a complete tear down to find the culprit. Order a complete gasket and seal kit, send your injectors out to have flow tested and cleaned, new pistons and rings, Deglaze cylinders considering the piston didn't wipe the cyclinder after it melted and if so then you would have to consider buying another cylinder, new throttle body boots. While you are this far you might as well check the motor mounts and replace them if they are cracked. Depending how much you love your 900 is going to be the factor to rebuild or not to rebuild. I love mine and will probably never get rid of it. Hard to find a machine out there that Torques like these machines.

Premium Features