• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there a Warmer Thumb Warmer?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
After an awesome day of busting powder and getting all three of my pairs of gloves much wetter than I had planned, we rode back to the trucks. The hand and thumb warmers were both on high and my hands were nice and toasty on the ride out but, my thumb froze (even on high). I went to Ebay and after a brief search found many aftermarket options but, I don't see a watt rating on them. Has anyone found a higher wattage thumb warmer they can recommend that maybe can be spliced into the wiring harness?

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I haven't seen any that list the total wattage...Is there room to install two elements on the flipper? I haven't looked at the backside to see if its possible...

Usually I have to turn my heaters down because they are so hot!!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I wonder if the older m-series are different or if my experience was a fluke deal. On my old m7 you could not use the thumb warmer above the low setting. It would get hot enough on high that if left on long enough would be to hot to touch, and I swear would start to melt the flipper.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I too have had several sleds that would absolutely melt your thumb when on high. That's why I thought there has to be something better that I can splice in to my Proclimb.

Gorilla tape??? I guess if it's getting hot enough it would help, I suspect these thumb warmers are just made from very weak sauce. Two elements might be a really good idea.

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
I had one that was really weak. Put a new one in and it was nice and hot. Awesome quality control.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Maybe I just got a weak thumb warmer on my sled?

Is there one year of thumb warmer that will plug right in that may be hotter than others?

I checked and the Proclimb M8000s 12-16 and they seem to use the same part number. Even my 2009 M8 uses the same 0609-827 part number. I see plenty of other Cat hand warmer elements from other earlier models that look like they will plug right in but, I have no idea if they would be any warmer?

M

M8 Turbo

Jan 2, 2014
gods counrty
reflective tape

do not use reflective tape on the heater it will short out causing you some nasty problems tin foil is conductive.

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
I've noticed my thumb never really feels heat when riding. But if I take my glove off and feel the flipper it's almost to hot to touch. Seems like the heat must just be in a small area or I hold my thumb wrong to feel any heat.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Since I had the black duct tape on there, I thought I would try it. I was surprised how much warmer the thumb warmer felt. Once I got home, I added three more layers of duct tape to see if it enhances the warmth any further. I'll let you know what I find.

Premium Features