• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Evo Vipers out there??

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Still kinda odd the only people chiming in for you either sell the Evops kit or represent them or have little to no seat time on it. Personally I wouldn't over look the other kits out there. Some of the other kits have real seat time from day to day consumers those are the people you want to here feedback from. If u want feedback from myself or the group I ride with I will be happy to provide you with some. We all ride the same kit. With a full season of hard riding on them. I do not ride a Evops kit. Would like to ride with one but just haven't seen any out there.

Cheers

The boost-it kit has a lot of great reviews. I don't know if I have ever seen anything bad said about them.. I was going to buy it this year but after talking to Neil I've decided a 190 kit would be best for me. I ride at 2500ft - sea-level. Anyone 5000 feet and higher is a little silly not to have a boost it kit if you ask me. Not saying anything bad about the rest..

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
We have done several kits last year with very good results. Like Christopher said the early kits got ridden hard and tried to break. Outside a bad batch of a few wiring harness the kit is second to none. We did the ball bearing billet models and only one just billet. Here is where the differences start:

1. No head shim.
There is no amount of tuning that can overcome dropping your compression. The only way to keep the quick revving 3 cylinder winding up like stock is to have stock compression. I rode a MCX Apex for 4 years, I am familiar with how the lower compression affects response. Can't say it doesn't. Some would be attributed to the rear mount turbo, but really it isn't that much different if you stretch out the Viper header straight. The physical distance is very close to a Nitro rear mount.

2. Selectable 210/275hp on a switch.
No one else can offer this when everyone else has a shim at anything over 240....and who wants a shim and be at 210 so they can also have 270? No one.

3. No extra injectors to tune.
The larger drop in replacements are tuned perfectly to the point of not being able to tell they are larger than stock. Everyone that says they can tell and then ride it come back with a different opinion.

4. There is timing done in the APC Evo uses to get around the need to have lower compression.
This year Evo is also able to reflash the factory ecu for added massaging of the timing and a raised rev limit. There is 1.5-2 hp gained in each 100rpm over stock. Whether you want to make use of that is up to you but it does make clutching easier with more headroom.

5. The hardware kit is second to none, the tuning is in class by itself as proven by the features they offer others can't. This isn't a slight against the other mainstream kits like Boost It or MCX. The fact that many high profile riders used the kit doesn't change the fact that they are still riding those kits with even more improvements with the factory ecu being accessible by Evo now. Who better to show the characteristics of a kit than the best riders. If it's good enough for TS riders Trennis, Dan, and Clay I would think it would suffice for the rest of us. What the specs state are better than the competition, and this translates to how the kit performs.

All the ones we did are rode on the 275 hp setting. Throttle response is crisp and right there as you would expect from a stock compression motor. There are several clips in TS14 you can hear Trenis's Viper on/throttle. I've ridden 310-330hp Evo 1100t SC kits on 3 different sleds I've owed over the last 4 years. That kit is a custom Garrett Tial ball bearing billet wheel built specifically for Evo. Response and tuning is perfect. This 3 cylinder motor brings throttle response to another level with the stock compression being a couple ticks higher than the 1100t. I would have never believed it could be more responsive than what I was used to...but it definitely is. The bottom end torque isn't like an 1100, but the quick revving is sure sweet.

I appreciate your input. Keep in mind this is my third four stroke turbo in which none had head shims. It isn't new to me what compression does or does not do...
While Trennis and Dan are friends of the friend doing my install, they do not really have a full unbiased opinion, They would and do have some influence on my choice though..

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I got ONE morning of running under high boost on VERY hard packed snow, nearly ICE conditions.

But.

I was running that morning under a severe LEAN condition as a result of poorly operating fuel pressure regulator that was not flowing the full load of fuel the ECU was calling for. That said, the power was absolutely EXPLOSIVE.:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

I would love to tell you I had several days of riding in deep powder and that it was the most amazing thing in the world, but I didn't and I can't say that. Right now, on a first hand basis, I just have FAR TOO LITTLE personal experience to make an honest judgement call on the final performance.

What I can comment on is that EVOPs seems to be VERY interested in getting this kit fully dialed in, and continues to work on refining the ECU program by continuously offering additional Flash Upgrades to incorporate More/Better control over the engine. My ECU is at their facility right now for the 3rd reflash in a year. Not because it is mandatory or that they were recalled, but because they have gained further insight into engine management and converted that knowledge into a new program for the ECU.

Understand, at heart, I am a TECHIE, this is what I do full time. As a guy who lives and dies by Software, I LIKE the fact that upgrades keep coming out and that the issues users report back to the company actually seem to be getting addressed and resolved! That to me is a big deal. Might not be to everyone else. But if you are going to go to the trouble of riding a Fuel Injected 4 Stroke, then you might as well take full advantage of all the technology you can get your hands on.

Fair enough. The only argument I have against this is on my prior two four stroke turbos, I never touched them at once dialed.. For years! My now 8 year old Nytro turbo still runs the exact tune it did when I tuned it in 07'! And unfortunately I seen the tail light of it the entire ride out at the end of last year dragging my POS Polaris out yet again...
My point is, if they are struggling to make them run, why? It's not rocket science. Or are they improving the running?
Regardless I believe I have been given what I can get for information. No reason to beat a dead dog. I appreciate your help and opinion. I got a call today stating they can have us a setup next week.... I better shiz or get off the pot!

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
The current kit I am running is a Boost it Kit. The kit I installed myself as this is also not my first turbo application by no means. The kit came package very well with good install instructions. All the parts are are top notch quality and craftsmanship. Boost it offers many turbo options as does the Evops so picking the right turbo for your application is no problem. The biggest seller for me on the boost it kit is the fuel controller and customer service tho. IMO it is probably the best controller out there for a everyday and pro rider. It it can operate off of boost af and barometric pressure or your own settings. There is also no adjusting it when set up. The base maps from Neil are spot on. But if you do need to make changes for whatever reason... Engine mods, different fuel, boost or any other reason you have the ability to do this your self on the snow. The controller does not touch the oem setting so idling and starting remain the same. Most of the high end turbo builders in Canada use the boost it fuel box in there kit whether 4 or 2 stroke. As for power it is awesome and with their kit you have the ability to run whatever boost level you want to not just 2 settings. Obviously the higher the boost you may require different engine mods and fuel requirements. But with just head studs you can also run the 14lbs range. I ran my all last year without issue I road the trees and pulled the big chutes in revy also with it. It ran at all rpm ranges without a hick-up. Boost it has a ton of kits out in Canada and soon in the U.S. Now that they have a dealer. So I sure on a more Canadian based forum you could get a ton of input with great results on how well their kit works. If you need the full details on the kit it would be best to contact boost it. But with the way my sled and all the kits I have seen on the snow actually riding I would not buy any other kit at this point. You will not be the one doing the r&d for this kit as it is already done. Boost it was riding this kit for a year before the viper came out or any other manufacture and did all that for the consumer.

Hope this gives you some good information on what kit I would recommend.

Cheers. My 2 cents.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Can't beat that kind of a review I tell ya what! That's what I've been trying to get for the Evo setup! Thank you

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I appreciate your input. Keep in mind this is my third four stroke turbo in which none had head shims. It isn't new to me what compression does or does not do...
While Trennis and Dan are friends of the friend doing my install, they do not really have a full unbiased opinion, They would and do have some influence on my choice though..

Then there is no need to talk about compression. The most important point for me is no other kit runs as high on boost (275-300) without lowering compression. This is relevant to me because of the sleds I have come off of, it may not be as relevant to others. If anyone is a good friend they will tell you their honest opinion.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Boost It has a very good reputation no question. I have nothing bad to say about their product or performance, more so the opposite. But the most popular turbo kit in the last 10 years on a Yamaha by volume sold is easily MCX. Why was that? Because there was no tuning to do. Turn the key and go. 90% of people don't want to tune anything. With that simplicity comes some compromises of performance, some of the MCX kit guys run Boost It boxes for that reason, to squeeze a little more out of it.

Evo took the MCX approach of not having to tune anything, and added getting the maximum safe performance as well, all in one package. I don't presume I can tune better than guys that tune motors for a living, I like that I don't have to tune anything to get my full value out of that kit. I'm not sure of how much having the ability to tune for 5 hp at a time really matters to most people. Quite frankly it's a dealer nightmare to having that control in the hands of unknowledgeable rider. I saw this first had for years when the BD2.0 came out for the 1100t's. Keep pushing the up arrow making more boost and still run 91 octane. Luckily the 1100t has a factory knock sensor that saved a lot of motors for owners. That is why Evo has tuned all of their kits (Cats included) by available octane choices. 91 or 100 in this case, with the 100 tune having the highest hp rating of non low compression kits on the market.'

Just to clarify, no one is doing R&D on the Evo kit. The improvements this year are from flashing the stock ecu. This does not have to be done to have a great running kit. It is an option to add other features to any turbo kit. Good luck with your choice. There are some great ones out there.

Last edited:

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
Some great points you have but I do have value in being able to adjust fuel requirements to get every HP out of my sled. The boost it system only gives you the option for the quality tuners or if they have updates such as stated early by Evops, 95 percent will run these with supplied maps and never touch it so to me that's a win win. The customer doesn't have to send anything away to perform updates or map changes . They could do them in a few minutes them selves no down time. I'm sure if you contact boost it they could give you all the same reasons to buy there kit. But what he was looking for was a consumer review not a dealer review so that's what I provided.

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
Also worth mentioning is I am not trying to bash the Evops kit just giving my opinion on the boost it kit. I do believe the EVO has a great looking kit with some good added features I just haven't seen any on the snow. So I provided my feedback on the boost it kit as a consumer. So my apologies if it sounded like I was bashing the EVO kit that's not my intention. I believe a person will be happy with either. I just have experience riding and watching the boost it kit in action.

Cheers

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I dont think you come across bashing at all. It was a good review, and you are right, I was looking for a consumer review. Thank you again.
I will say that I do know we can get into the Evo mapping and make changes. It does need to happen via laptop so it isnt something that can be done on the mountain, but it is adjustable. Having the means also has great value to me as well.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
We sure are..
And its done. While I really like the Boost-it kit and was excited to go that route when I heard Eric got a dealership, I went with Evo. Let me explain why..
First, foremost, and the #1 factor did not actually matter which kit it was, it come down to whom it is installing it for me, Brad Story. The man plain knows his stuff, has been around turbo sleds longer then most anyone, is a great guy and a friend.
Second, Originally Brad was just going to build me a one off custom setup using a Borg Warner EFR turbo similar to what he uses with other sleds. But while adding up where we were going to be cost wise and finding parts, he found out that Evo uses the same controller he was going to use, and they had similar ideas to what he was going to implement. So he swayed me that direction to save time and perhaps a little tuning time.
He was fairly concerned in the size of the turbo housings Evo uses. But after speaking with Jim about maps and efficiency, we dont feel there will be an issue for the boost levels I plan to run, there 275 tune, or in the 14-16lbs range, at 9,000'.
We are going with the Garret BB turbo with Billet wheel. It should spool crazy fast and hopefully the compressor side is good enough to move the amount of air we hope it will.
Pricing did not have any factor for me. Both are very similar in price. And if anyone in the states is looking for a Boost-it kit, give Eric a call. He is a very smart and from what I can tell, honest individual! He will hook you up.
100%, if Brad was not doing this install I would be hauling my sled up to Eric no doubt. Not taking anything away from Evo, but frankly the lack of anyone actually having much experience with a good running one worries me. I hope I can change that for others, time will tell.
Thanks everyone for any and all input. And thanks to Prairie Dog for the thread! I am sorry I Hyjacked it....

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Depends on snow. It is currently snowing and there is a couple inches on the ground at my place but, we havent been hit like all the states around us.. I typically hope to get a road ride or so in around Thanksgiving. So honestly I dont know..

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I have installed the billet BB kit predominantly. It's what I run on my sled. There is no issue with the amount of air from that turbo at the levels you are going to run, let alone higher boost levels. I'm sure in talking with Jim he told you what went into selecting this particular turbo design having gone thru something like 12 versions until being happy with the performance of this one. I know, I was there swapping turbo in the trailer lol.

Prepare to enjoy. Brad's reputation proceeds him as always.

Last edited:

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
I am also excited to see how the EVO vipers run this year. I have had good experience with their products on my 1100T. I am really hoping that my next sled will be a viper with their kit.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Taking my MPI viper out tomorrow for the first time, we will see how it compares to my old 1100t!

The snow is back finally!! :bounce:

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Look at the quality of these parts, the size of the exhaust to turbo flanges really surprised me. Note the intercooler radiator that goes in the oil filter access panel.

attachment.php

evoparts2.jpg

Premium Features