• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Some 2016 Team clutch info

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Im just curious if the new clutch setup will keep them from blowing belts every other ride....:face-icon-small-dis

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
If a 2012-2015 was setup properly they were just fine.

The TEAM stuff is a large step in the right direction.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
If a 2012-2015 was setup properly they were just fine.

The TEAM stuff is a large step in the right direction.

My 13 was clutched very well and would blow belts every 40ish miles. Tried numerous setups and all I ever found out was it needed the torque link from evo and motor mounts.

Id like to ride one that's been broken in and if I didn't blow a belt Id buy another one in a heart beat!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
If center to center is correct, clutches are in good working order, and the alignment/deflection is correct they work great. I have seen bad motor mounts or improper setup cause big problems, but for some reason people keep buying different clutch kits and springs to solve it.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Must of had a bad motor mount, everything else was spot on. I finally gave up and sold it with only 300 miles and 5 belts down.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Anyone else find it humorous the caption below the pic is talking about quality and tolerances of clutches but each clutch has 13 balancing holes drilled in it?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Those holes are not indicative of anything. In the manufacturing process, there are variations in the density of aluminum, and other factors, necessitate balancing.

Remember, the material that comes out of each hole drilled amounts to very little weight, maybe in total, all holes, maybe 1/2 ounce? (And that is probably way too high)

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The amount of holes is indicative of cheap *** metal used in the manufacturing process. If a better grade of recycled aluminum is used, it costs more and is more consistent.
Team clutches are built for the absolute least cost possible in every aspect. If this means they can save 25 cents using recycled beer cans full of dirt, beer and insects, then that is what they will use.
Don't try to defend a junk metal and manufacturing process done in China selling each clutch for $20 each to dumb North americans.

Last edited:
A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
The amount of holes is indicative of cheap *** metal used in the manufacturing process. If a better grade of recycled aluminum is used, it costs more and is more consistent.
Team clutches are built for the absolute least cost possible in every aspect. If this means they can save 25 cents using recycled beer cans full of dirt, beer and insects, then that is what they will use.
Don't try to defend a junk metal and manufacturing process done in China selling each clutch for $20 each to dumb North americans.

Actually they do their castings in the states. If they were cheap junk, they wouldn't be providing nearly every oem in the industry with product. Lol

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Actually they do their castings in the states. If they were cheap junk, they wouldn't be providing nearly every oem in the industry with product. Lol

Ya, ok. They supply nearly all the oem's so that means the clutches aren't cheap junk.
There's prolly more 6.0 Ford powerstrokes than Team clutches out there also. By your reasoning, there's millions of 6.0 powerstrokes so the motors can't be junk.
What oem sleds are belt burners? Why so much clutch heat? Who makes the clutches? Yep, Team. That's who. Why can 250 hp turbo 4 stroke yamaha 700lb tanks go for a year on the same $40 belt? Because they don't run team clutches, that's why.
The evidence is staring you in the face. Look at the clutch that has up to half the circumference drilled to come close to balance. This is laughable. It's not normal but people accept it simply because half the sleds have Team clutches.
Why did this only happen when Team started making clutches? It never happened on earlier sleds.
If you can't see it for what it is, I can't help you.
Just keep buying belts and replacing clutches. I'm sure you will figure it out someday. LOL.

Last edited:
A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Ya, ok. They supply nearly all the oem's so that means the clutches aren't cheap junk.
There's prolly more 6.0 Ford powerstrokes than Team clutches out there also. By your reasoning, there's millions of 6.0 powerstrokes so the motors can't be junk.
What oem sleds are belt burners? Why so much clutch heat? Who makes the clutches? Yep, Team. That's who. Why can 250 hp turbo 4 stroke yamaha 700lb tanks go for a year on the same $40 belt? Because they don't run team clutches, that's why.
The evidence is staring you in the face. Look at the clutch that has up to half the circumference drilled to come close to balance. This is laughable. It's not normal but people accept it simply because half the sleds have Team clutches.
Why did this only happen when Team started making clutches? It never happened on earlier sleds.
If you can't see it for what it is, I can't help you.
Just keep buying belts and replacing clutches. I'm sure you will figure it out someday. LOL.

Actually, I have 3000 miles on the same team secondary, and never blew a belt. I've got buddies with over 8000 miles on team clutches and never blew belts. Never replaced any parts on them either. Every race sled out there runs a team secondary, but I guess race teams don't need quality stuff lol. It seems every time I have heard someone say team stuff is junk, it's because their inability to tune them so they are "junk." My point is, nearly every OEM out there wouldn't be buying their stuff if it wasn't a good product, especially when you could go overseas and get it made cheaper. But to each their own, you have your opinion and every individual has theirs.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Come on out to the mountains. If you can make a belt last 300 miles I'll pay for your trip, everything except the hookers and blow. Even better, you, being a flatlander can school the mountain riders how to tune a team in the mountains.
I don't need to learn, nor do I run a team but I would attend the "man from Minnesota teaches mountain riders how to clutch" class.
One more thing-why is team such a good clutch?

Premium Features