• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch issues

whitemeat

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2010
how can i get my 900 cat to rev a bit higher. It revs at 7000 rpm in the big hills. I would like to see 7400-7500 i think. It is pretty much stock except for a can and v-force 3 reeds.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You can do a search and find lots of set-up ideas. Depends a lot on the elevation you ride and how big a guy you are. You should be running either 66 or 69 g. weights, if you have a king you will have a titanium spring in the primary. The secondary should have come with a 55/53 helix and a R/W spring. By now the secondary spring is shot, the rollers are shot, and possibly the bushings. I would go though and redo everything in the secondary and check out primary for springs,cams and rollers. Rollers and a new spring in the secondary is the very least you should do.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Lighter weights in the primary. If it is stock it has 69 gram weights. I ride 8000-10000+ with 69 gram weights and don't have any issues swinging that weight with about the same mods as you. Stock pipe, v force reeds, gutted air box.
If you haven't changed the secondary spring in the last 12 months start there. While you have it apart you should really think about changing the rollers. the stock cat rollers wear out FAST!. I run rock rollers on mine, they work GREAT. That spring should be changed every year, it gets worn out pretty fast. Also change to a straight 53 or 51 if you are a bit bigger (member of the 200+ lbs club). You could also try a cat green or cutler red (they are the exact same thing). secondary spring. I ran a cutler red for a while but went back to the stock cat red/white.
You should be seeing 7400-7500 rpm on that sled on a good climb. Maybe drop off to 7300. But at 7000 you are losing some power for sure.

whitemeat

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2010
Rpm

My secondary clutch spring was in the middle hole. Which way can i move it to get more RPM?

rpm

If you increase the spring tension on the secondary clutch you will increase rpms. If you lower the grams on the cam arms or the weights on the drive clutch this too will raise the rpm. If you go from a 53 to a 51 degree helix this will also increase rpms Hope this helps

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
If you are looking at your clutch like a clock you move the spring to the holes clockwise (right) for more tension.

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
2 things to remember:

1 - Drive clutch controls RPM
2 - Driven clutch controls Shift

If you want to change RPM, you need to change the drive weights or drive spring rate. Now, that being said, the driven can effect RPM by dragging it down. It does not control RPM, but it does control the gear (so to speak) in which the sled is in and being in too high a gear can pull RMP down.

Premium Features