• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Elk Hunters Colockum area of Washington...A MUST read

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
And we wonder why they will make this a special permit area while closing more of the few roads left open (If it is not closed entirely for this year!). No grey wolves yet,but I think we have worse!

Here is the article

Remember about one year ago when THE REEL NEWS reported on the secret meetings that WDFW was having with the tribes? The main purpose of these meetings was to expand the various tribes hunting and fishing rights, and the areas to which these rights applied. As stated, it was to allow them into more traditional non-tribal areas. The tribes felt they should be allowed to hunt on the same land non-tribal hunters do using their laws. I have seen first hand what these rights amount to.

Long time readers know that I elk hunt in the Colockum Wildlife Area in Eastern Washington. My family settled in this area around 1880. At one time my grandfather owned or leased in excess of 3,500 acres, and along with two other families, was in the process of purchasing all of that and more. His untimely passing at a young age resulted in my grandmother selling his holdings to Washington State. My Uncle Neil owns the section of land that remained. It is the Colockum Ranch. The road from the Wenatchee side accessing the Colockum, runs past his and my cousins property. They see what goes up and down this road.

What they saw a lot of this summer was truck loads of dead elk. Starting at the end of July, as soon as antlers mature and harden, Yakima tribal hunters are decimating the Colockum elk herd. On the last Friday of deer season in the area, my dad and brother saw Indian hunters with a very large 7 point bull in the back. Nothing was open at the time for elk but the elk was dead, none the less. Relatives have seen truck loads of spikes, the only size bull us non-Indians are allowed to shoot. The man in charge of running the area has been told by his superiors, 'hands off." It is estimated by people in the area that the tribes killed 48 large bulls during the summer of 2008. My Uncle works very closely with the WDFW in the area. He tells me the Colockum elk herd is down by 1500 animals. All rules for this herd will change for the 2009 season.

I really have a hard time comprehending the greed in these hunters. They are absolutely classless as far as hunters go. For my lifetime, the top of the mountain in the Colockum has been the elk preserve. It was donated land from one Arthur Coffin. He donated the land for the preservation of elk. Non-tribal hunters cannot access this land at any time. Absolutely no trespassing. Doesn't apply to the tribes. They not only kill elk in the preserve, they camp on it. This year it was estimated that over 40 hunters made up this camp at one time. The elk have had decades of conditioned learning that they are safe in the preserve. Not any longer. And if tribal hunters can't kill their elk by hunting on a game preserve, they spot light at night, and it is legal by their rules. Amazing.

What is even more amazing to me is the fact that the Colockum elk herd was started by non-Indians around 1913. Elk were introduced to the area from the Yellowstone herd. Why do the tribes get to hunt for elk that weren't there prior to our putting them there? I asked this question and was told they have found drawings on caves near the Columbia River showing elk. According to the powers that be, this was enough to give them elk rights on the Colockum herd. I say it is shady closed door decision making at its worst.

I have two references in my collection that state elk were not readily available in Washington, except for the Roosevelt's. In the diary of Lewis and Clark. Lewis wrote that the tribes on the Columbia River really liked elk meat and were quite willing to trade for it, as they didn't have a successful means of killing them unless one stumbled into a bear pit. I have read that the Nez Pierce traveled to Idaho for their elk hunts. In another publication I have, written by R. Roundtree about himself, he describes how he and his brothers had to travel to Idaho for elk. They settled the Pe Ell area prior to the Civil War. But. because now they found a drawing, all the history goes aside.
Unless I am very mistaken about Indi-an traditions, they drew pictures of animals for reasons other than they were in the area. They would draw them to gain power over them for the hunt. They drew pictures in thanks for a successful hunt. Those pictures they found could have been elk killed in Idaho, which everything I have read shows both tribal hunters and non-tribal hunters went for Rocky Mountain elk, prior to their introduction here.

Non-tribal hunters have to draw a permit to shoot a branch antlered bull. In 2004, when my dad and brother were drawn, 28 permits were issued. This year 3 were issued. Just when we thought the practice of not shooting big bulls was starting to pay off, the Yakima tribe is decimating them. Plus, they kill spikes and cows also. I would like to see the spike only rule go away. All it is doing is giving classless tribal hunters carte blanche on big elk. Another item I intend to pursue is getting my hands on the paperwork that had to have been drawn up when Mr. Coffin donated all the land to the state for the elk preserve. It has to contain language pertaining to preservation. Allowing tribal hunters onto that land is not preservation. I am thinking someone could take that information and make the state nervous.

Hunting in this area has been going downhill for the past 3 years. Now we know why. When TRN sent out the questionnaires to the gubernatorial candidates, one of the questions was whether they supported these closed door secret meetings. Our newly re-elected governor chose not to respond. Guess what? We already knew the answer. Soon, elk in the Colockum will go the way of salmon, crab and the Nooksack elk herd, which was nearly wiped out by tribal hunters.

If this doesn't piss you off...I don't know what would. D. DAWG

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
This really isn't that unusual. If you want to find a very large void as far as sporting animals are concerned, simply visit an Indian Reservation where year round tribal hunting is permitted.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
The unusual part is the area is not reservation land nor anywhere near their reservation and the elk are not native to the area and were not game hunted by the yakimas. They should be required to follow the same regulations that non indians have to follow when off their reservation. Swampy:mad::mad::confused:

This really isn't that unusual. If you want to find a very large void as far as sporting animals are concerned, simply visit an Indian Reservation where year round tribal hunting is permitted.

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA

I suppose you are right,but we're not talking a reservation here.this is an area where our family and friends have hunted for over fourty years and this has been a very recent problem. 70-75% of the roads were closed up there over 25 years ago. Now they will probably close more and go to Special permit only.
And one other thing...it's a great riding area for our sleds. Will that end too?

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Found it by accident.
went to the Commissioners meeting in Ellensbug last Saturday And heard someone there almost begging to make the area Special permit, then another agreed . next person before me was much less gloom and doom,then I spoke not wanting the SP plan. Hell I, as the first 2 said I would rather see the area closed for a year than SP. the previous speakers wanted it closed-then SP for 3 years after. Like washington has ever relinquished a cash cow.
I got home and started searching, investigating, and learning.
I went on huntingnet .com and followed a link to huntingwashington .com forums where I joined. Found out that the first speaker on the subject is known as Colockumelk. Looked around and found it on a thread in "WDFW Announcements, hunting politics & activism' on the thread titled "letter regarding colockum elk the Reel News- the tribes Killed Elk""
I was doing a google trying to see if the Paperwork from When the Coffin family donated the Game reserve land (and failed miserably) and typed in
"Colockum Ranch"
Once again I found it in citi-data.com ..US forums ....Washington, in a thread titled "Tribal Hunters wiping out Elk Herd"
All I can say is it doesn't look pretty Seems this first was Published in "The Reel News" a publication found in many sporting goods stores. I never saw the Original. If I had, I'd have been on here LONG AGO!!
I see your a nieghber of the Colockum game range which name seems to have been changed on Coleman Canyon Rd to the Naneum State Forest by the DNR. I have some problems with thier logging practices up there too. It was my main ***** at the meeting .

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is more from Hunting washington I'm sureColockumelk wont mind

Colockum and Yakima Hunters Unite.
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:05:45 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be somewhat long but please bear with me and read the whole thing. We need to stand together against the slaughter of elk and deer by Indian hunters and this will be the first step in that process. It is obvious that many of you share my beliefs that something needs to be done to stop the decimation of the Colockum bull population by the Yakama Indian Tribe. It is obvious that the game department either doesn't care or is to afraid to do anything about it. Either way it is time that somebody put a stop to this and did the game departments job for them.

This is what I propose. I'm sure many of you have written letters that have drawn little if any response from the game department. As individuals we can not hope to get anything done. But as a group that works as a team towards a common goal we can do anything. As an individual we are limited by our many flaws, but as a team there isn't anything we can't accomplish. If we get enough people to participate they'll have to do something. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation was started by a few hunters twenty some years ago and look how much they've accomplished.

This is what we need to do. We need to begin an activist group much like RMEF or Green Peace to begin to work towards making Indian hunters abide by the same rules and regulations that we do. I was born in America so how am I any less of a Native American than an Indian is? Currently we as Non-Indian hunters are second class citizens. Non of the other Western states allow their Indian tribes to hunt all year round killing as many animals as they want to outside of their reservations so why should Washington be different?

We need to band together and start having meetings and raise money and find lawyers and collect our own evidence about how unfair and stupid this practise is so we can bring it to our state legislature. We need to start a petition around here and maybe even state wide to show how serious we really are and that it's time to stop. Right now they blame it on poachers or even us (we kill too many spikes) but if they are faced with overwhelming evidence that only you as outdoorsmen who are out there all the time, then they'll have to listen. Imagine if they tried to say we're a bunch of ignorant people and then we show them a bunch of pics using game cameras of truck loads of dead elk driven by Indians coming out of the Colockum. We also need to see if groups like RMEF and Mule Deer Forever etc will help out as well since they've done this sort of thing before.

I know I spoke mostly about the Colockum but Yakima hunters need to band with us together as well since they Yakama's do the same thing to your herds. This message is sort of a feeler message to find out if any of you are interested in starting a group with a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary etc. The whole nine yards. We can't go half way, we're either all in or not at all.

I've started an email address for this purpose. Its' colockumelk@yahoo.com
If you have any comments or ideas or if you would like to start a group with me that would be great. If you know community organizers or key leaders this would also be great. I'd like to begin having meetings no later than March. Obviously the sooner the better. Also if you have any pics of Indians with big bulls or elk etc, or what would be great is if we could get people to start putting their game cameras higher up in some trees just off of the roads so we can get some good pics of truck loads of dead elk and deer in the back of their vehicles. The game department might be unwilling but we're not. Enough is enough. If you want to help out please email me back lets set up a group meeting to finally put an end to the insanity that it unlimited tribal hunting.

Hunters
Against
Unlimited hunting by
Native
Tribes

Last edited:
E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
Thanks DOO DAWG,

I'm on both sites and am fully aware of the situation and it is bleek and complete bull$hit. The indians are way outta line on this one and we should organize and put a stop to it!!

BTW - I have a camera pic of a Grey Wolf in Cle Elum that I can send you if you want.

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
PM responded to wickman!

Eric I sure hope that is a native wolf (Much smaller) and not one of those Northern Canadian greys. If you could,yeah, I'd like to see your Pic.
Thanks
Jim

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
More..................... wanting to close roads

----------------------------------------------------------------

Letter from a Tribal Member in Oregon.

By colockumelk - Posted on 26 February 2009

First of all, I am a tribal member of Warm Springs here in Central Oregon
I have sent Colockumelk an e-mail before stating my good wishes to his cause. From what I have seen going on here in the last 5 years is that we have a Tribal Fish & Wildlife Committee and Tribal Council who do not take our biologists recommendations into account when setting our hunting seasons. As a result our deer herd consists of an estimated 1200 head and I believe our elk herd is down to below 800...from gross over hunting by members of our tribe. Our reservation is about 660,000 acres, if you run the numbers we have less than 1 deer and less than 1 elk per square mile of land Cry!!!

From what goes on here a lot of tribal members also tend to look back into the past and do not like being told what they can or cannot hunt. They simply want to keep hunting and taking what they want no matter what the numbers say! My feelings are that the past is the past, we have evolved into a modern society now and we need to quit crying about what was taken back when and appreciate what we have now!

It isn't all of the tribal hunters overharvesting game either. I bet 25% of the hunters (or should I say poachers) are taking 75% of the game. Our seasons here consist of 2 weeks in Mid Sept for archery elk (1 cow or bull tag)-only a limited amount of tags are given for this season(75 last year), the month of October for 1 buck, and November for 1 elk (1 cow or bull). If you get an elk during the archery hunt you are not supposed to be allowed to hunt during the rifle elk season of November. Well guess what? We have no real law enforcement on game laws. So for the last 5 years or so hunting season has just turned into a shoot everything up for 3 months type of deal. Rifles during archery season, elk during deer season, bucks during elk season are all being taken....let alone getting as many animals as one can on a single tag! The only ones responsible for our poor big game herd here is our own native people!!! The old time way of hunting is gone becuase most guys here don't take only what they need it's all about taking and taking and not thinking of tomorrow. I hope our neighbors to the north can learn from our mistakes here. If you don't stop it now, you and your kids and their kids will not have anything to hunt!

Admit it, most native american hunters want that big set of antlers on the wall nowdays, just as anybody else does. Why not practice practical game management and let those bucks and bulls grow to true trophy size and set up a way where we can all have a fair chance at getting a tag now and then to hunt them! We have the habitat and herd genetics here in Warm Springs to grow some monster bucks/bulls but people here just don't follow the rules...it could be world class hunting if only......
We are allowed to hunt off reservation in our "Ceded Lands" but we must get tags (which are free but on a limited basis according to the state hunting units) and we must obide by the state bag limits and regulations.

Colockumelk, from what I have read of your recommendations, taking out road access would be the biggest positive impact in the game herds that you could possible do. If you can only get that accomplished then you have accomplished a lot! Secondly, if you can get the hurdle jumped, would be to get the Ceded Land hunting setup similar to how our Tribe has it implimented with the state of Oregon (following state laws, regulations, tags, bag limits). Good luck to you and your endeavors again....

Came from here........................

http://www.washingtonsportsmen.com/?q=forum

Last edited:
Premium Features