• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Radio w/o back pack

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
So my family used to use Scala Rider G8 snowmobile blue tooth communicators but we are a family of 6 and ride with 7 usually. They only pair to 4 at a time. So...I broke down and started buy BCA 1.0 and a pair of 2.0 radios.

Problem is my wife hates wearing a back pack. Absolutely hates it. So...no she is ticked at me for these radios. Does anyone have an alternative way of carrying and using these. Our youngest is 10 so she needs to be able to talk to him and the others without stopping and pulling the radio out of some where. I appreciate any ideas.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So my family used to use Scala Rider G8 snowmobile blue tooth communicators but we are a family of 6 and ride with 7 usually. They only pair to 4 at a time. So...I broke down and started buy BCA 1.0 and a pair of 2.0 radios.

Problem is my wife hates wearing a back pack. Absolutely hates it. So...no she is ticked at me for these radios. Does anyone have an alternative way of carrying and using these. Our youngest is 10 so she needs to be able to talk to him and the others without stopping and pulling the radio out of some where. I appreciate any ideas.

We frequently just put the radio in a chest pocket and clip the mic to the collar of our jacket.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Inside chest pocket as stated or.......if that doesn't work because of the coat, you could always look at trying a few different beacon harnesses ? There small, lightweight and I'm sure a guy could find one that these radios would fit into??

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I carry mine in the jacket lapel pocket and clip the mic to the collier. Problem is the mic has a tendency to fill with snow. The little stick on screens are a must.

I
Dec 21, 2016
It’s almost like I asked this question myself! I’m looking for the same feedback; just got a 2.0 & don’t always like wearing backpacks.

W
Dec 7, 2017
Silt, CO
For my youngest kid, I clip the mic on the handlebar pad, and tuck the radio into a small windshield glove bag/box. Keeps the speaker close so he can still hear it, easy to reach to call, and the radio is safe from falling off.

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
If I'm not wearing a backpack or just feel like minimizing the weight in one, I will put the radio in the glove box and clip the radio on the brake line. I use a thin piece of wide weather stripping to help give the clip a soft and secure place to grip. Someday I will chisel a little slot for the radio wire to exit the glove box, but for now it works great. 2017 Ski Doo Gen4 Thanks Thunder Mountain Lodge

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Think I need to keep the mic close to her helmet since we are going to be connected to the mic for the helmet speakers. Either that or a very long 3.5 male to female extension.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

Are the 2.0s better than the 1.0s?

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Are the 2.0s better than the 1.0s?

2 watt radio versus 1 watt radio. So twice the broad cast distance. At least that is the theory. Haven't tried mine yet. Also, the 2.0 is 2/3 the size (smaller) and the microphone/speaker has the dials inset a bit so less likely to change channels or volume from "bumping" the handset. And they have a Frog Skinz type material over the microphone (from the factory).

If buying new, I would definitely buy the 2.0, but not selling my 1.0s as they work just fine for what/how we ride. In other words, the 2.0 is a great addition, not as a replacement for.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
2 watt radio versus 1 watt radio. So twice the broad cast distance. At least that is the theory. Haven't tried mine yet. Also, the 2.0 is 2/3 the size (smaller) and the microphone/speaker has the dials inset a bit so less likely to change channels or volume from "bumping" the handset. And they have a Frog Skinz type material over the microphone (from the factory).

If buying new, I would definitely buy the 2.0, but not selling my 1.0s as they work just fine for what/how we ride. In other words, the 2.0 is a great addition, not as a replacement for.

Thanks for that information!

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn

Expensive alternative but try a vest instead of a backpack you may find it way more comfortable

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
It would be BY FAR less expensive to get 4 sets (8 radios) of the Baofeng UV-5R radios, program them correctly, get shoulder mics for all, and the whole fam can communicate. The BCA is an "ok" setup but WAY overpriced!! The Baofeng are a VERY solid radio, compact, powerful, and super easy to use. The programming can be a challenge at first, but takes 5 minutes per radio once you get it figured out. There are several youtube video on how to do this, and i found the best one early on and keep recommending it to other new owners. If you go this route, i can post links to the video to watch for programming, the program (CHIRP) to use, as well as the radio, programming cable, and shoulder mics to get from Amazon.

Have fun!

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
I got the baofeng gt3p with extended battery and it lasts for days and days where my BCA radios MIGHT last a day IF I remember to charge them. I also got a small handset that doesn't have all the extra crap I don't want on my handset that BCA 1.0 has for like $13. I have BCA 15-19 programmed, took a few minutes with the built in menus, no programmer cable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Premium Features