• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Switchback Assault vs Freeride

S
Sep 22, 2018
Hey!

First time poster here, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong area or anything like that.

I am a young (17) rider from Saskatchewan, Canada and am looking to get a new sled. For the past 5 years, I've ridden a great starter sled in the 2015 Skidoo Renegade Sport. I've just simply outgrown this sled. It doesn't do great off trail (which is where I love to be) and it's getting boring for me.

I am looking at the 144 Switchback Assault (2018) and the 147 Freeride (2018). I live at a cottage up north and only ride on trails to get to the off trail stuff. I'll drive across lakes and through ditches then get to the fields with maybe a foot or two of snow (hoping for more in the future too). I love hitting snow drifts and riding the (small) backcountry hills.

If you need any more information please let me know and I can give you that easily. If some people could weigh in on what they think I should get (or if there are any other options), that'd be sweet. I'm open to any sled suggestions!

For the price point, I'm looking at <14,000 sleds. Pretty much anything other than a brand new Backcountry XRS or Freeride is good with me.

Also, is the 2019 SBA a big upgrade from the 2018 model? I'd be open to checking out the 2019 model if so.

Thanks, SnoWest!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I can't speak to the Skidoo as I've never ridden one or owned one .... But, I did snocheck a 2018 SBA last season and I absolutely loved it .... So here's my take on it -

The Axys SBA is the swiss army knife of snowmobiles. It is not the best at any one thing, but IMO does reasonably well at all of them. This is the beauty of the Axys chassis, as the concept of a "crossover" sled is not new .... IMO, its just that the current chassis is the only one I've ever ridden that really pulls off the idea well enough to make it worthwhile ..... ....The SBA is *NOT* a deep snow tree sled. The width of the sled and the uncoupled suspension do show weakness when trying to carve tight trees in deeper (say more than 6" of fresh) snow, but it DOES NOT mean you can't do so .... It just means that on the deep days if you're tree riding you're going to be stuck a lot less on an RMK. The SBA *DOES NOT* get up on top of the snow anywhere near as well as the RMK does when its fresh and deep .... On the days when the snow isn't that deep or we're not really tree riding, I seem to shoot up hills just fine on my SBA .... In fact, I'll even go so far as to say I kind of had more fun climbing hills on my SBA last year than my RMK .... because the RMK 174" makes it so easy that unless the snow is 3' deep its too easy :p .... There were a number of rides last season I chose to take the SBA instead of my RMK and all my riding buddies were like "WTF??!" .... And they were stunned that I was able to keep up with them 97% of the places we went .... That is, until, we got in the trees and ravines, and we had to make hard right 90 degree turns up a hill with no room to gain speed beforehand .... This is the type of thing where the SBA is a rough customer due mainly to the gearing and suspension, not even so much the shorter track IMO .... So, this year I'm looking to put the Skinz ARC coupler on my SBA for the few time I need to perform that maneuver and have the suspension stay coupled...

With all that said, the SBA is a joy to ride on rough trails. It soaks up bumps and moguls with ease. I even ran my SBA at a hill climb event last year and it did just fine ....

So, final verdict -

Is the SBA a deep snow tree sled? No, but you can dabble and still be happy, just don't expect too much.

Does the SBA do a lot better than you will expect it to in the back country? Yes.

Does the SBA have great trail manners? Yes.

If I could only have one sled living where I live it'd be an RMK 163" like I had for the '17 season, but if I lived somewhere that had snow but I was mainly riding flatter terrain with more hard packed snow, but I wanted to make some trips out west on occasion, the SBA would be my choice .... I think I wound up splitting my mileage about 50/50 between my SBA and RMK last year .... Over all I'm really happy with the way that sled turned out.

Regarding the 2018 vs. 2019 SBA, I think the only real difference is the 2019 gets the new 850 motor .... So yeah more power is always good, but I've seen some stupidly good deals on 2018 800s with 3 year warranties out there .... food for thought.

Last edited:
S
Sep 22, 2018
I can't speak to the Skidoo as I've never ridden one or owned one .... But, I did snocheck a 2018 SBA last season and I absolutely loved it .... So here's my take on it -

*snip*

Thanks! A lot of great information there. In Saskatchewan, we don't get crazy snowfalls, so I'm at most riding in maybe 2.5 feet in the deep stuff. I think the Assault is perfect for me with your description. I'm just tired of getting stuck and going .5mph in 2 feet snow.

Sweet sleds btw! I hope I can get some good snow here one season haha

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Other Options

Not a Ski-Doo owner, so no comment. Not a Polaris owner, but there too many documented 800 Cleanfire problems for my money; however the new 850 is supposed to address the past durability issues; Which brings up the SKS 146 850 for consideration. As a Cat owner I'd look at the High Country; better shock package & the Powerclaw track is hard to beat. My $.02:juggle:

Last edited:
S
Sep 22, 2018
Not a Ski-Doo owner, so no comment. Not a Polaris owner, but there too many documented 800 Cleanfire problems for my money; however the new 850 is supposed to address the past durability issues; Which brings up the SKS 144 850 for consideration. As a Cat owner I'd look at the High Country; better shock package & the Powerclaw track is hard to beat. My $.02:juggle:

Thanks for the comment!

I looked at the High Country but didn't hear anything about it so I didn't think it was as good. It isn't mentioned in very many discussions of best crossover, so I am skeptical of your comments.

Is getting a mountain sled with a shorter track a good alternative to the Assault? I'm not sure about getting the SKS when the Assault seems to cater to my exact needs.

I don't ride my sleds that hard, so I don't think the durability is a big issue.

Can anyone else vouge for the High Country? Is it as good as an Assault or Freeride?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I ride Polaris and like Polaris, so that is what I would probably buy.

If you like your Skidoo I would go for the freeride, you will be much more comfortable on that, it will be a huge upgrade from your renegade, but have a similar feel.

The Skidoo should be more reliable and hold its value better. They are a sensible buy.

Just look hard at things like warranty, price, and dealer. Buy what YOU like and what you think makes sense. They are all GOOD sleds that all ride differently and have their own quirks(nothing major). Comes down to personal preference really.

S
Sep 22, 2018
I ride Polaris and like Polaris, so that is what I would probably buy.

If you like your Skidoo I would go for the freeride, you will be much more comfortable on that, it will be a huge upgrade from your renegade, but have a similar feel.

The Skidoo should be more reliable and hold its value better. They are a sensible buy.

Just look hard at things like warranty, price, and dealer. Buy what YOU like and what you think makes sense. They are all GOOD sleds that all ride differently and have their own quirks(nothing major). Comes down to personal preference really.

Great advice! Thank you.

The price for the Assault is far less than the Freeride, so I think I will go with that one. I might sell it in a few years, but I'd be at a bigger loss of money with the Freeride even if it holds more value. Honestly, both sleds are gorgeous IMO. I'd be glad to ride either or them, so I'll check out those factors you listed and decide!

S
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks man. I think I'll make another thread because I've been looking at the SKS instead. Even though I'm roughly a 50/50 rider, I only enjoy off trail and don't ride it hard on the trail. I don't go fast, I don't hammer turns, I don't do any big trail rides, I think the SKS is best for me. I also plan to move to Colorado in a few years, so it'd help to have an SKS 146 there compared to the SBA.

Premium Features