• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI turbo 850 #1 spot jackson

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Carl Kuster - Pro Masters Stock
Carl Kuster - Pro Masters Improved Stock

Blaine Mathews - 800 Improved Stock

Jay Mentaberry - 800 Mod

Trent Handsaker - Pro Masters Mod

I think the only two of these classes are turbo classes "Mod" Jay ran mountain performance (MPI) this year. Not sure about Trent Handsaker. Karl runs Aerocharger. Spanky, Blaine ran MPI as well this year.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Jay has MPI turbos in both his Open Mod and 800 Mod Sleds

Open Mod - Ski-doo 850 with MPI. He ran a 1:20 with this sled.
*This video isn't that specific run but on it nonetheless*
https://www.facebook.com/jaymentaberry411/videos/747521398755014/

800 Mod - Ski-doo 800 with MPI. He ran his 1:12 with this sled and his 1:15 mod KING run with this sled.
*This is his mod king run which if he wins he get into the King of Kings run but he lost by 1.7 seconds*
https://www.facebook.com/jaymentaberry411/videos/749863111854176/

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
And if I was just more observant I would see Trent Handsaker uses an MPI too. Hence the first picture posted in this thread by Christopher.

Not to forget about the Thompson boys who are always very solid. They look to run MPI as well. No doubt they ran solid for these guys.

Carl also had a very good stock run and improved stock but I don't think the sleds he ran in these classes have an Aerocharger in them, don't quote me but I think Improved just means big bore or pipe work, not sure.

Steve Martin is very solid as well and he runs boondocker, always has. He has some of the coolest builds and is very knowledgeable helping many guys with small sled setup tips.

The numbers were surely with MPI. I watched almost all of the final day and a good running sled/turbo system is only beneficial and only matters if you make a smooth run. The hill is so technical that you have to have a smooth run before you can stretch the legs/capabilities of your sled. Although I suppose if the sled lags on you at all, it could mess with your smoothness.

The reason I seen Keith doing so well is:
1) He is in more classes than anyone so he sees the hill a lot and how it changes after people use it up
2) He is just smooth overall, rarely makes mistakes that prevent him from reaching the top
3) His sleds do run strong

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
800 Mod - Ski-doo 800 with MPI. He ran his 1:12 with this sled and his 1:15 mod KING run with this sled.
*This is his mod king run which if he wins he get into the King of Kings run but he lost by 1.7 seconds*
https://www.facebook.com/jaymentaberry411/videos/749863111854176/

I know Jay is sponsored by MPI.... I just wasn't aware that MPI made a kit for the 800 ETEC.

Do you have any other details on this Kit?

Are they releasing this 800 kit this season?

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The reason I seen Keith doing so well is:
1) He is in more classes than anyone so he sees the hill a lot and how it changes after people use it up
2) He is just smooth overall, rarely makes mistakes that prevent him from reaching the top
3) His sleds do run strong

They are now LIMITED to five class.
Keith only does 6, 8, 1000 stock, 8 mod, open mod.

He doesn't do 7, no improved stock or 6, 7 mod.
Trying to remember, is there a 1k mod? If so, he doesn't do that either.

From what I can tell, MANY racers are in 5 classes

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Jay got back to me to tell me that MPI put together 3 "one offs" for the 800 ETEC's that are racing the RMSHA under the MPI tag.... No kits available.

Jay is an awesome rider... and a great person to be around. I've had the pleasure of riding with him around Alpine when he was a few years younger....He was always the fist to help get me unstuck or lend a hand to help someone else out... AND that young man can SHREAD....

Congrats on a successful season Jay!

Last edited:

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Haha you're right I didn't even pay attention to that! I forgot MPI just started making kits for Ski-doo when the 850 came out. Sorry I was not understanding what you were saying. Jay is a very good rider although I have never had the pleasure of riding with him and probably never will haha.

Hmmm.. news to me! I didn't know you were limited in how many classes you can run but makes sense! I'm learning here because idk where the rules or description of the classes are laid out so just trying to gather information from what is given. So other guys probably do see the hill just as much! It just seems like Keith has one trailer full of like 4 or 5 sleds. More sleds than most others so I assumed he was in more classes, but thanks for clearing that up!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Haha you're right I didn't even pay attention to that! I forgot MPI just started making kits for Ski-doo when the 850 came out. Sorry I was not understanding what you were saying. Jay is a very good rider although I have never had the pleasure of riding with him and probably never will haha.

Hmmm.. news to me! I didn't know you were limited in how many classes you can run but makes sense! I'm learning here because idk where the rules or description of the classes are laid out so just trying to gather information from what is given. So other guys probably do see the hill just as much! It just seems like Keith has one trailer full of like 4 or 5 sleds. More sleds than most others so I assumed he was in more classes, but thanks for clearing that up!

Yeah, I think he's just got 3 sleds in his race trailer.

Stock 600,
Stock 800 for Stock 800 and Stock 1000
800 mod for 800 Mod and Open Mod.

He efficiently covers 5 classes with 3 sleds.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Do any of you know if Jay ran his 927 Trygstad this year or just his turbos?

Pretty sure his mod sled was a one-off 800 turbo, as stated in post #28.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I used to take Jay riding when he was twelve. John would call me up and ask if I would take him out in the Rubies for the day, he could really ride well at 11 and 12 when his legs just barely straddled the seat enough to touch the boards. He's been in Alpine the last several years and I haven't had much contact. I did have the opportunity to chat with him a bit at Jackson, seemed like the same great kid, just larger. It's good to see him doing so well, "Rock On Jay"!! It's fun to watch a great young man living their dream.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
MPI/SHR has the consumer guys covered...have the whole winter on mine and have real solid clutching/gearing/chassis set ups fr all tracks and elevations above 5000'...call for details...summer pricing in play-BJ

Premium Features