• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowchecking a 154. 2.5" or 3" track?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I'm snowchecking a sled tomorrow. G4 154. What's everyone's experience with lug size? Will the 3" trench to much? Will the 2.5 be able to push through the deep(3-4') pow as well because it dosen't trench? I've just heard the 3" is a trencher so I'd like to hear what people's real experiences are with each.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
On my 2015 summit x 154 with the 2.5" track, I have ridden 3+ feet of powder. It's a blast. It's amazing what these sleds can do once you get throttle control, timing and suspension all figured out. Once you get climbing a hill that gets maybe a little too steep for too long for the 154" the thing will just trench and get stuck eventually if you don't turn out. But I've climbed some hills and left trenches several feet deep, the 154" x 2.5" does amazing things. I imagine the 3" will go a little further before it gets stuck. As for less extreme angles that the sled can get up and tree riding, I don't think the 3" would set you back at all. more surface area to push snow = go further. That's the point of a longer track and the point of a longer lug. But if you let it get stuck then yeah, it's gonna dig a nice pit. My next sled will be a 3". Also I imaging you gain in stopping downhill ability.

Last edited:
Premium Features