• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 800HO motor down

Z
Dec 2, 2011
My boy picked up a 2012 XF800 HO only 1900 miles. Bought from family friend who bought new and had no problems with it.

sled threw a Ecu21 knock code and wouldn’t idle and died

Hauled sled home changed the plugs and got it running on stand seamed ok.

Took it for a rip about two miles and died again

Pto side piston is scored on exhaust side only looks like a lean melt down.

I tested injectors and cleaned them they seemed ok

Not sure what caused it bad gas? Stuck injector?

Have a cylinder and piston on the way.

I noticed base gasket is for both cylinders. Didn’t want to pull other cylinder if not needed. Dealer said cut the gasket and just use one side?? This common practice with cat So? ive never done that before

Thanks for the feedback

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
dump the gas and start (21 code is bad gas for sure) over also check the carb boots and other ares for air leeks (does it idle high?) you can cut the gasket just fine just make sure you look in the middle of the gasket for the word (UP) so you get it right.

Z
Dec 2, 2011
Sled did not have a high idle.

I'll get the gas drained out of it and check boots for leaks.

son said there was some snow in the air box so seal there must not have been tight as well.

Thanks for the info

R
Dec 9, 2007
Had a burn down on '13 proclimb that seemed to be from a bad hood-to-airbox seal, sucking snow/air. If snow in airbox that would be an issue.

Z
Dec 2, 2011
purchased a new front air box seal and that will get changed.

I can say i don't care for how that seal and hood sits in there. Its kind of a pita to get set in there.

Thanks for input

Premium Features