• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cvt snow bike

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
great build that thing rips i've been thinking along the same lines but i wasn't sure about where the engine would sit very cool do you have any pics of the exhaust setup
thanks

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Amazing first day in the Missoula mountains on the beast. Things are working excellent. Thing really rips

First snowbike build I've seen with acceptable power/ trackspeed.
The oem's need to jump on this!!!!!

The market is prime for a 160 hp 146-155x3 350# (or less :) ) Snowbike.

B

barefooter

Nov 27, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
This just shows that there is still a long way to go in the market. For mass acceptance - I think a cvt tranny will be a must. An EFI two cylinder stroke with about 100hp would be the gold standard. I don't think the bike kits are going away any time soon. That extra 80 - 90lbs you are going to have on a setup like this is going to make a huge difference in handling

We never said it was easy, just that it looked cool.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
This just shows that there is still a long way to go in the market. For mass acceptance - I think a cvt tranny will be a must. An EFI two cylinder stroke with about 100hp would be the gold standard. I don't think the bike kits are going away any time soon. That extra 80 - 90lbs you are going to have on a setup like this is going to make a huge difference in handling

We never said it was easy, just that it looked cool.

This is really a tough one. I built an AF cr500 with an sx120. Bike is great, light weight, and it can move fairly well.

But I can see where people are coming from on a lot of things. The CVT tranny seems essential, how else can you continually increase track speed, really quick shifting, but I found myself doing a lot of work to try and maximize efficiency there.

Weight might be an issue, but there's gotta be a way to make a system work.

I think we need to abandon it looking just like a bike, whole set up needs to be moved back like has been mentioned. Engine directly over the track, gas tank moved. You engine obviously will be higher in relation. Obviously not using a bike frame, your engine head would be between your thighs almost. Ski wouldn't be so far from the track, and you would have more track under you. Rider position more like a sled. Centralized mass of rider engine and tank. Not sure how to rectify the whole craze over third shock and having a typical bike like pivot point.

Wish I had ACAD on my home computer. Rarely have free time lately to draw up things extra at work. I tried to prototype an SV1000 engine in my dirt bike frame once, was funny looking, just the shock in the way of rear head.

There's some solid inline twin options, but the dang CVT is so wide, almost worth keeping the gearbox just to keep it narrow. Also think it is possible to do a direct drive with a machine built from the ground up. So many possibilities, but would take a lot to make the next gen machine. I'm pretty sure the advances in skid technology is going to be unbelievable in the next ten years as well, especially for bikes.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
once you get some power, you are going to want them long again.

only want them shorter now because they are underpowered.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
I think most of you are missing the point of my build. I am after a good hp light weight extremely fun machine that is always a thrill to ride. Short track and good hp = thrill ride. If you ever rode a hawk to its potential you know the thrill I'm talking about. This machine flat out destroyed my friends excellently set up 450 Ktm

So if you move ski too close to track it won't steer like a snow bike. Too long of track just kills the fun factor of lightweight one ski
You keep banging turbo gears and I'm just going to pin it

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Good job Les ,

You just made a machine that the manufactures of these bike kits are trying to grasp .

Maybe this is the wrong place but I hear and see very little when it comes to trail riding or ditch banging . That video of running the ditch and stubble field rocked . Scare up any jack rabbits :face-icon-small-hap

Are the bike kits still running those races ? Just swapping some plastic with them would be priceless .

Again good job

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
once you get some power, you are going to want them long again.

only want them shorter now because they are underpowered.

Not necessarily. I had my CR500 on a 155, and since it had so much power I felt I could go back down In length on the track. I had to let off the throttle to turn it

I wonder how it would ride if the ski were back 6"??? nice build, lets see it on the mountain

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
Nice, I think you have come up with the future of snowbiking! I loved that video. Wheelying a snowbike, ah ha ha sweet!

but seriously folks, here's a fork in the road and we have to take it. The dedicated snowbike vs the convertible dirtbike. I think both will have there place in the future.

Now go sacrifice your precious "TOP GUN" and tell us what the 800 is like in a snowbike!!

How much for one if we bring you all the pieces?

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I love how guys who have installed one timbersled think they know it all. Les, we have watched you build so many different machines of so many shapes, sizes and weights. It has been inspiring to say the least! I am stoked that you have finally got something you like, I can't wait to hear more about it! I have watched the movies on FB many times! I guess I need to start looking for a engine! Swap meet season can't come soon enough! I have an aluminum bike frame already!

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Not necessarily. I had my CR500 on a 155, and since it had so much power I felt I could go back down In length on the track. I had to let off the throttle to turn it

I wonder how it would ride if the ski were back 6"??? nice build, lets see it on the mountain

Yep, short track, and move the ski and rider back a bit. Would love to see how different variations could impact things. I've seen some crazy snow hawk vids. I like my 500 with the sx120, but I can't lean or turn like I've seen some hawks manuever. Ordered a yeti ski though, see what happens in short order.

Premium Features