• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Post Forward Kit

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I had it on one sled and not my other. I don't even notice a difference switching back and forth.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Sure the XMs have a post forward style from OEM but there is room to push the post forward an additional 2". Beyond that the post will hit the pipe. I'm trying one this season, made it out of 1/4" aluminum stock for the price of some hardware and a few hours time. Seems it might help on steep downhill sidehill initiation for us lighter guys, but I'm sure it will be subtle. Mostly it's summer and I wanted something to do to my sled.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
With the xm running boards and the ability to get that much further forward on the sled compared to the xp, I just don't see why you even need it. Jmo

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Post Forward

The idea is to get a snowmobile to respond to your body movement. Your hips are the Center of Gravity of your body. When you want the rider in ultimate control of the machine the CG of the body is over the CG of the machine. Dirt bike designers learned this a long time ago.

Post forward is a way to get a sled to have closer ergonomics to a dirt bike. Most sleds when standing over the CG the bars are back in your lap - too close to your hips - even on a stock XM. There are those that feel the post on an XM could be four inches ahead of stock.

We will see what the future holds, however as it stands now: A 2" forward position from stock XM, with the bars in line with the steering post, is the most natural placement for aggressive riding by many people's taste. Some do not agree (Ride R Style vs B's Back Country) and the debate will go on! Snowmobile engineers are listening!

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You just have to ride one for a day.

My ONLY complaint about the post forward is that it keeps the front down slightly better than before, and that's just not how I ride.

Other than that, the improvements are noticeable in a number of ways.

EVERY sled made in the last 10 years has been more forward than the last... edge to dragon, dragon to pro, zx to rev, rev to xp, xp to xm, 1m chassis to M, M to PC... there is a reason for this. Not everyone will love it of course, I know guys that swear the edge chassis poo handles great... but most of us know better.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
I had the skinz post forward on my 14 xm last year......took it off when I snowchecked my T-3 163 as I wanted to use it on that sled. We got some more snow and I rode my sled as stock and I have to say I missed not having the post forward........bars kept smashing into my thighs but I was used to being forward and over the top of the machine more with the skinz post.....and I am taller at 6'-3".

Buddies that bought XM's and jumped back and forth between mine with post forward and theirs' stock quickly decided they liked the post forward better. It's not for everyone.....and honestly I could ride my sled stock just as well with the nonforward post...to me it was more of a comfort thing as the sled just felt better.....didn't necessarily make the sled handle a whole ton different........a little different sure but it didn't make it a "whole new sled" so to speak. Just my 2-cents.

Dave

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I had the skinz post forward on my 14 xm last year......took it off when I snowchecked my T-3 163 as I wanted to use it on that sled. We got some more snow and I rode my sled as stock and I have to say I missed not having the post forward........bars kept smashing into my thighs but I was used to being forward and over the top of the machine more with the skinz post.....and I am taller at 6'-3".

Buddies that bought XM's and jumped back and forth between mine with post forward and theirs' stock quickly decided they liked the post forward better. It's not for everyone.....and honestly I could ride my sled stock just as well with the nonforward post...to me it was more of a comfort thing as the sled just felt better.....didn't necessarily make the sled handle a whole ton different........a little different sure but it didn't make it a "whole new sled" so to speak. Just my 2-cents.

Dave

Agreed... it's not life changing like it is on the proclimb... it turns that turd into a contender. I do find that for the folks that prefer skis down, in control riding though, it does change handling a bit more significantly than you're suggesting, it made my sled much less interesting in general (I prefer skis up as a rule, just how I prefer to run the sled) and made the sled stay down until provoked much more significantly.

Someone with the skid set up to not lift may notice that less than you would on my sleds though... just what I see on mine.

Premium Features