• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reason Why PC clutches are out of balance!

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
To go along with the other thread on clutch balances on the PC I found out some interesting points from a dealer in Utah. I stopped at the dealership to get a puller for my PC that I will be picking up next week. I bought a used one. ( After all the crap I've been reading; What was I thinking; I should have bought a holdover 011). Anyway the parts manager told me that the PC clutches are out of balance on purpose to offset the out of balance crankshaft. If you pull the drive clutch and don't install it on the shaft in the exact same location as Cat installed it, you WILL GRENADE the engine. If you have the clutch rebalanced you WILL GRENADE the engine. Apparently there is an alignment mark on the cover plate and one on the back of the rear sheave and on the case. Now I'm not sure on the marks because he rattled them fast and also because my mind was already in overdrive telling me; "What kind of stupid crap is this". I might be incorrect on the placement of the marks. Be sure to contact a dealer to find out for sure on this. Surely there should be a bulletin from Cat stating what I just said. I wish I had my PC here to look at but maybe some of you people could check and see. The mark on the cover is supposed to be small round mark of some kind. Let me know what you find out.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I don't think this is the case. Same motor since 2010. There would be a lot of grenaded motors starting in 2010 if this were true. Mine included. He may have just been referring to making sure you re assemble the primary with the cover aligned properly.

D

dbritsch

Oct 8, 2008
Bluffdale, Utah
How could you ever replace a broken clutch? They can't possibly all weight exactly the same, not to mention all the aftermarket clutches that are on these motors. The dealer is clueless....

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
BS BS BS Bs Did I say BS

Crap I must have grenaded lots of clutches. So the engine is out of balance and the clutch is out of balance too? sorry I am not shooting the messenger . First if this was the case it would be keyed to install it. Second the would not put 12 clutches on 10 and 11.

I think he came up with that because they will not run without clutch on it acts as if the crank is gone.

To go along with the other thread on clutch balances on the PC I found out some interesting points from a dealer in Utah. I stopped at the dealership to get a puller for my PC that I will be picking up next week. I bought a used one. ( After all the crap I've been reading; What was I thinking; I should have bought a holdover 011). Anyway the parts manager told me that the PC clutches are out of balance on purpose to offset the out of balance crankshaft. If you pull the drive clutch and don't install it on the shaft in the exact same location as Cat installed it, you WILL GRENADE the engine. If you have the clutch rebalanced you WILL GRENADE the engine. Apparently there is an alignment mark on the cover plate and one on the back of the rear sheave and on the case. Now I'm not sure on the marks because he rattled them fast and also because my mind was already in overdrive telling me; "What kind of stupid crap is this". I might be incorrect on the placement of the marks. Be sure to contact a dealer to find out for sure on this. Surely there should be a bulletin from Cat stating what I just said. I wish I had my PC here to look at but maybe some of you people could check and see. The mark on the cover is supposed to be small round mark of some kind. Let me know what you find out.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--An alignment mark would have have to be on the crankshaft itself, not the case. Or else the crankshaft would need to be positioned TDC #1 cylinder or whatever and then reference a mark on the case.

--Unless more information is forthcoming, I am skeptical

--However, to maintain the balance of the clutch, you do need to match the towers, spider, and cover upon assembly.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
It would not be hard for cat to (un) balance the clutch to do this but it seems silly The engine should be in balance with itself and the clutch should be balanced to itself as well.

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
I agee with everthing that has been said in the above replies. I always remark my clutches with a center punch on all parts then fill the punch marks with metal marking paint for easier visibility. I almost called BS to the parts man but I was so dumbfounded by the remark I was at a total loss for words. It's a good thing he is not my dealer. I bought the used PC from a private party. I just stopped there to get a puller. I don't think I'll go back there. I was looking at some of their new sleds. (some 011's and some 012's). Six out of the nine sleds there had the skis out of alignment.

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
The dealer is a little ways south of Mountain Magic Sports. Stop in there. Get a laugh. Look at the way their new sleds are set up.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Are they also a DOO dealer?? Doo started doing this on the '12's but as stated there has to be a alignment mark on the crank. I have not heard of Cat doing this...it would have been made very obvious if they did.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Brew
If its whom I am thinking of then yes they are a Doo dealer as well

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Set up

Ya since I sold my dealership I have lots of customer go get there sleds and bring them in just to have proper set up done. It floors me sometimes but when you pay some one 8.00 and hour what do you expect it to look like. So when you sled turns like it weights 2 ton its not the skies it the alignment and when you get off the throttle and it stops like the breaks on it might just be a hint that the track was tightened by a Polaris mechanic. What you mean there is more to set up than slapping the skies on?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT

LMAO. Thats the funniest thing I've read on here in a while!

WOW!

Premium Features