• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bdx chaincase cover and SSI Y pipe install questions

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
2015 M8
Had these 2 parts delivered today, was hoping to do the install this weekend and no directions were sent with the parts. I have a email into BDX but they are closed until Monday. Hoping somebody can help me out so I don't have to wait til Monday. So here's some of my questions.....what do I do with the low oil sensor plug? Sure don't want the light on all the time on my gauge. What is the procedure for hooking up the oil line to the new plastic oil tank? I don't want air introduced into the oil line, so do I pinch it off with some small vise grips before unhooking it from the stock tank?!? As far as the Y pipe goes, what should I use for a gasket, I have some hi temp permatex, is that suitable? Thanks for any help you can provide! Dave

triedit

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
sheridan wy
just use the old gaskets on the y pipe and use only permatex ultra black silicone smeared on very very thin coat and assemble .as far as the oil light it doesnt come on when unplugged .tuck the wires up with the others and zip tye in place .as far as the oil line when you remove the tank hold it up higher than it is mounted remove line and keep it high,put oil in the tank,and hook up line . do not use cap that came with tank the rubber gasket can fall into oil tank so use cap off of old tank

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
thread lock those y pipe nuts. grind any **itty welds you can reach on the inside of it for smoother flow. mine looked like it was welded together with my harbor freight flux core.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Started the install tonight, still haven't heard anything from BDX after emailing them. So here's 2 more questions/concrerns....the oil line barely reaches the supplied plastic tank. I am not comfortable with how hard I had to pull it to attach it to the new tank. I can extend the oil line with a inline fitting, so thats not a huge issue. My main question/concern is how do I remove the speedo sensor from the stock case/cover and attach it to the BDX cover?!? Thanks again for your help!! Dave

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Talked to them on the phone this morning. Speedo sensor is affixed with rtv sealant. As I suspected the oil line has to be extended a few inches using a barbed fitting. They mentioned that moving forward they will most likely start including a piece of hose and the fitting.
Thanks again, Dave

triedit

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
sheridan wy
Just a heads up on the chain case ,i like the light weight but i keep kicking the dip stick , I guess thats what is happening and break it off just above the top o-ring .So i epoxied it back together and cut the handle off so it is only about a 1/4 inch nub and use a pair of pliers to pull it and check the oil level when i need to

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I don't understand how you would be kicking the dip stick. It's tucked in pretty tight under the oil tank. Please explain?!?

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I bet if ya put some duct tape on it to hold it against the chaincase you wouldn't have an issue. Not saying there isn't a design flaw to begin with. But, I think my idea would work just fine.

Premium Features