• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobiling by Big Sky

B
Jan 17, 2019
I go on a ski trip every year with buddies and we rent sleds for a day.
Last year we went to Big Sky and rented sleds in West Yellowstone. It was a good time but we couldn't find great destinations to go to. Maybe we were spoiled from the prior year.

Prior year we were in Jackson Hole and drove up to Togwotee Pass and rented sleds. There we ventured out to the lodge only accessible by sled that had arguably the best lunch I've ever had. I'd be looking to mimic something like this in Big Sky. I'm going back in March so any thoughts would be helpful. I prefer to stay away from the tours as I'm a decent Magellan and have been on sleds almost my whole life.

Worth going down and renting again in West Yellowstone or can we get away with solid trail and off-trail riding around Big Sky!?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Unfortunately we are having a below average snow season and our snow structure is unfortunately not that great as well. Regardless there is a lot of fun and good riding to be had nearby.

What kind of terrain are you interested in? Lots of different things available but really depends on your goal.

B
Jan 17, 2019
We won't be out there until march 9-16 so we have time for Ullr to deliver. We're looking for a combo of trails and meadows to play around in with climbs, etc. Ideally, would be awesome to have a destination to go to for a good lunch (similar to Togwotee pass). Last year when we rented from Hi Mark in West Yellowstone, we did a big loop and ended up back in town for lunch...then went back out again for the full day

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
There isn't going to be anything like that lodge right outside of big sky everything is pretty much ride in and play. Buck Creek (right next to big sky) or Taylor Fork is good riding that has groomed trails and big open terrain for nice enjoyable riding.

mumur

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
Check out the ArcGIS maps for the area to see what you've got to work with. There are definitely a few forest service cabins around the area you could use, not sure about more curated experiences or privately owned yurts or anything. I've heard of people using the Little Bear cabin before.

Z
Dec 7, 2016
Ennis mt
ride time

Ride out from west, pack gas if you plan on playing and ride into Elk lake, great ride in only bar and restaurant great food awesome ride to, they also have cabins up there. Lots of mellow playing up there. I haven't rode from the town of west but people do it will be a good day, we usually ride in from Raynolds pass, or if you cant find good back country riding then hire a guide west is full of them and will take you and your group in to some killer country. This area has been getting hammered with snow to should be plenty by march I would think. They have a facebook page as well a website elk lake lodge Montana we usually ride in a couple times and month so might see in there ha.

Last edited:
Premium Features