• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Frog skin in front of primary

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Blew a belt yesterday and this is the 2nd time this has happened. 2 or 3 of the plastic rivets that hold the frog skin in place got tore off. Are these replaceable or is there a better repair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
im not a believer in the old frog skinz I really don't feel they let all that much air through and if there wet well even less

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
im not a believer in the old frog skinz I really don't feel they let all that much air through and if there wet well even less

Well it was certainly wet, which contributed to the belt blow.
Maybe I’ll look to a different solution all together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R
Dec 9, 2007
My 2013 has only a coarse metal mesh without frogskin on the primary clutch duct. I ordered a roll of frogskin fabric and was planning to add frogskin to supplement the mesh - but now based on this thread maybe not. What to folks think, does frogskin help or hurt?
(I tend to blow belts at a rate of about 2 or 3 a season, is that a lot? Have replaced primary once in 3500 miles. )

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
im a believer. held up a side panel and held my air chuck back far as I could to imitate air flow down the trail, felt it good on my hand holding the panel. stopping water around the clutches is a good idea.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’ve looked off and on today for a new vent. Looks like there’s options but they are kits for the outside of the panels. I don’t mind adding to the outside of the panels, but if I’m doing that, now there’s a little more cost to things. I’m ok with that too but then I start looking for which one will function best. Trying to keep this simple.
Whats recommended?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am not familiar with the exact shape a vent needs to be, but I have cut the some abs plastic sheet to the size I need and used two layers of regular fiberglass screen to filter out most of the snow. I just used hot melt glue to hold the screen to the back of the abs, then attached the piece to the outside.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I am not familiar with the exact shape a vent needs to be, but I have cut the some abs plastic sheet to the size I need and used two layers of regular fiberglass screen to filter out most of the snow. I just used hot melt glue to hold the screen to the back of the abs, then attached the piece to the outside.

I thought about doing this earlier today. . Might give this a shot if I don’t find the right purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
My vent blew out this weekend and was letting tons of snow in, kind of ruined the day. Has anyone replaced this vent with just a solid piece of plastic? I've never had good luck with frogskin and it always seems to tear

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I was looking at the side panel where a vent would go, roughly right next to the primary. I see where I’m starting to wear a ring into that panel from the primary opening up. I wonder if a vent would get melted or worn there as well?

Premium Features