• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My new 19 mtn cat

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Alright so I'm committed to arctic this year. Just picked up a 18 mtn cat with 5 miles for $9800. I really only have a few mods planned. I just have a hard time finding info o the ascended chassis parts compared to Polaris in general.

1. Where do I find reasonably price spare a arms, guess it is hard to find used? Also what years fit or just 18s?

2. Need a can. Not loud. Loud is annoying and stupid for protecting our rights to ride. Do not want a headache while riding. Besides the $560 diamond s I really only see the $300 slp as an option. Anything else quiet?

3. Running boards. This was already discussed in a previous post. What's the best options, B&M. With the stock they make my knees feel bowed in and hit the wide seat which hurts after an all day ride. Yes I realize it sounds stupid but its tough for a guy with wrecked motocross knees.

4. Gripper skis. The stock skis were a struggle coming from and axys. Anyone got a cheap set and help me figure out what part numbers I need.

5. Lastly bumpers. I found the front end not only heavy when stuck but hard to grab to move, anything better?

Other than that anything I am missing. I sold a turbo axys with Raptors and a thousand accessories to stay simple. So dont want to go overboard.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
1. 16-19 a-arms.

2. Stock is the quietest and free... i have SLP, it sounds good and is not to loud. Look for used cans, get them for half price?

3. Try some soft knee pads, i were sixsix1, 4,000 miles on proclimb/Ascender chassis zero knee/seat issues.

4.Need 2012-2015 cat spindle bushing and rubber dampner, gripper ski and bolt.

5. The only time i ever grab the front bumper is to move the sled over on the deck to clamp it down. When in the snow, i only pull on the skis. Lots of bumpers, choose what u think looks cool. Lots of used ones out there.

Tether! 2019 cat (untested) or pro armor.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You sound like you are already a little overboard. It isn't an Axys so spare a-arms are not really necessary. The ones on the Cat are steel and do not fold at the first sign of a bump. If you insist, I think they are the same '16+, BDX may have some take offs on their site.

I can't recommend a can, I bought the SSI one and it is louder than I like, cheap at $200 for the stainless, but again, too loud. Do not fall into the trap that loud will close land though. Greenies want to close land no matter how quiet your sled is. The loud thing is just part of the lie...

I thought there were a couple of board suggestions in that thread? Uncommon request so I would look the old thread up.

If you bought an 18 you could use grippers. Thread title says '19 and they have again improved skis I think. Pretty much have to wait for things to perk up around here as winter approaches or, plan to show up at haydays, or post in the Polaris sections.

I would see if Cat sells a front bumper for it. Strange to me that the older top models like my '17 MC came with the big bumper stock and the new ones don't. I LOVE my big steel Cat bumper, great for running down saplings and lifting the pig heavy front end.

Enjoy the new sled!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-parts

parts here ^^^ you will only need spare A arms if you a wrecking ball.

2x 2603-813
2x
3603-237 or just cut your 18 inserts to fit the grippers and save 30.00

use the 12-15 cat rubbers. on the bottom of them you will see rows of numbs just set them into the gripper (with the upper bump in or out facing on top) and you will see a row hit 2 ribs on the skis just take a razor and cut the rows that make contact flat with the bottom of the rubber. you can also just cut the spindle insert shorter to fit the narrower inset of the gripper or order the 12-15 inserts. if you can use the polaris ski bolts or go to the local hardware store and pick up some metric bolts a bit shorter than the cat ones.

slp can is the quietest

the mt bumper from cat and it fits 18 up you can get the 12-17 to fit but you loose the bottom mini skid plate and the lower screw holding on the hood. and need the 12-17 lower plastic to cover the rubber boots for the A arms.

Last edited:

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Summ8 said most of the things I would do. Coming off an Axys you may want to change out the brake lever for a more comfortable and familiar feel. TKI sells one that I like and the new Cat one feels good too.

Buy extra sets of the older ski rubbers when changing to the grippers. I went through a set last year in 600 miles.

I'm trying the Skinz front bumper this year, seems like a solid get up. If you are not looking at replacing the rear bumper I would pull the snow flap off, if you are looking at a new rear, I have used both the Cat and Rogue Concepts and the Rogue gets my vote.

I put an MDS clutch kit in mine and love it.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Alright so I'm committed to arctic this year. Just picked up a 18 mtn cat with 5 miles for $9800. I really only have a few mods planned. I just have a hard time finding info o the ascended chassis parts compared to Polaris in general.

1. Where do I find reasonably price spare a arms, guess it is hard to find used? Also what years fit or just 18s?

2. Need a can. Not loud. Loud is annoying and stupid for protecting our rights to ride. Do not want a headache while riding. Besides the $560 diamond s I really only see the $300 slp as an option. Anything else quiet?

3. Running boards. This was already discussed in a previous post. What's the best options, B&M. With the stock they make my knees feel bowed in and hit the wide seat which hurts after an all day ride. Yes I realize it sounds stupid but its tough for a guy with wrecked motocross knees.

4. Gripper skis. The stock skis were a struggle coming from and axys. Anyone got a cheap set and help me figure out what part numbers I need.

5. Lastly bumpers. I found the front end not only heavy when stuck but hard to grab to move, anything better?

Other than that anything I am missing. I sold a turbo axys with Raptors and a thousand accessories to stay simple. So dont want to go overboard.

2. Diamond S makes a stainless version of the quiet can for $400. Skinz is also coming out with a “hushbox”
3. B&M, super high quality stuff, and the best availability
4. When snowchecks Poo show up there should be lots of new take offs for $200-$250
5. See #3

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the tube aluminum front bumper from cat accessories is the strongest. I think BM fab might have released one finally too?
you might want a better handlebar set up coming off an axys but the new brake and controls look just fine to me. I like buttons on the bars, no looking down.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
One call to Michelle @ Cannon Powersports will take care of all your requests.

507-263-4532

Tell her you're a Snowest member. She'll swear at you and give you deals!

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Check out BDX/SSI. They have some excellent products for the Arctic cats and there pricing is fantastic.

I agree, running the Stainless Can and Backcountry Clutch kit. Might do the y-pipe also. They have been helpful on the phone with the clutch kit and answering questions about any of their products.

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
I went with this front bumper https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-c...8-front-proclimb-bumper-2017-2018-zr-xf-m-pta

I did the Cat Pro MTN running boards used my cat cash otherwise would have went with BM Fab

Speedwerx handlebar cleanup kit

Did grippers and just cut down the bushing

This trip to Hay Days I would like to pick up a TKI brake reservoir protector and his brake lever, also decide between a Rogue Concepts or BM Fab rear bumper. And potentially do the Ice Age rail brace kit

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
That last cat bumper looks good.

So what is the actual point of the handle bar clean up kits. Seems like a waste of money, is there something I am missing? Also where is a link to the brake lever, the cat one is ridiculous.

Ya b&m boards are probably the route I am going to go. Just not excites to cut apart my brand new sled.

On a side note, anyone else notice how the pull cords on these rub 2 spots which wears away the rope. One of the higher spots around the steering stem stuff has kind of a sharp edge, any solutions? Tape?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
18 up didn't need the bars clean up kit. if the rope was routed correctly just add a bit of lube to the contact points and you can get 2k plus mile out of a pull rope. then for 8.00 replace it and put it in the bag.

or just put it in the 180* and good for a 2k plus more miles.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
controls and brake lever were same on 18s. 19 stuff is improved, 'stealth master cylinder' and smaller lever too I believe. looks great.
gotta keep this stuff straight or we're as bad as the cat marketing team :face-icon-small-sho

edit: I say this because the title reads '19 MC from OP, got confused.

Last edited:

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Exactly Sno*jet that's why I saw the benefit in the speedwerx kit also eliminate the TSS and have a easy plug and play option for a tether. Evidentially Cat got the message also with the upgrades on the 19's

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Ya I don't know how I hit 19 instead of 18 on the title, must have been wishful thinking. As far as I know you can't change a topic title. But on a positive I probably got more views for the accidental false title

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I'm too lazy to check, but I bet the 19 controls/brake/tether would be a plug and play upgrade from cat, id look into that before aftermarket, cat stuff is usually pretty affordable and hard to beat. like their windshield replacing bag- a must have imo.

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Looking at country cat the 19 brake assembly is not available. The 18 caliper and 19 caliper assembly is the same part number. The 19 brake line is a different part number and that is not available either

Premium Features