• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Powerclaw!!!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I noticed with the P-Claw that it depends a lot on the situation. Straight pulls with high sled speed it seems to pull hard. Slow sled speed with high track speed, not so much. Slow sled speed with moderate track speed, much better. Downhill in marginal conditions are scary. Followed my bud on his RMK down a steery steep hill around trees and I wanted to punch him when we got down for taking that route, he didn't think it was bad at all. (Light layer of loose over hard snow.)
I have a Series 4 on my SP race sled that is much more predictable.
Challenger on my M1000 the same.
2.5 Extreme on my sled last year was the shizzle.
2.5 Extreme on a couple of 155 Pros that I rode with this year in the deep did very very well, I had problems getting my 153 PC P-Claw up stuff they had no problems with.
The "claws" do a good job of making the sled not a death-ride on the trails like an Attack, but give up some deep snow paddle area.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
CE 2.5 coming. Don`t know if I`ll have the desire to install it this late in the season but It`ll be there if I do (kinda wanna wait for a billet jackshaft and do it all at once, bearings, jackshaft, chassis trueing, track)

Wyo why would you think that no or poor braking traction would not effect your tree playing. I mean even when you apply power in a hook it doen`t pull up the nose untill you get the nose pointed up. Kinda just slides downhill during the first 45 degrees. Doesn`t lift the front at all until you pin it. What would your dirt bike work like if you rode it with a sand paddle tire?

Are we really panelling these sleds out or are we simply forced by the track to bury the nose to slow down and start a turn. The old M had three keels in the belly pan to steer LOL instead of the wall we have on the PC, but basically the same effect to me.

The P-claw has zero sidehill traction unless it is dug in and-or spinning. The P-claw has no downhill braking forcing you to throw it sideways and controll the arc and decelleration with the throttle. Too much thinking for me. How could that not effect your pick of lines in the more technical stuff.

In your videos your tree spacing is much much wider than my riding so maybe I have to think about it more lol.

Is the track washing out because of no traction or is it washing out because of panelling out?

I guess I`ll find out.

Last edited:
W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
Is the track washing out because of no traction or is it washing out because of panelling out?

i have noticed this several times this year, the track will wash out when it really shouldn't, no matter my foot position, throttle input, it will just lose traction, not all the time but in the cases i noticed the most, it should not have washed out....
the bigger lug pc track for 2013 may improve this, but im not sure it will make that drastic of a improvement!!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Out here when the snow is good the CE is a trencher, in the spring it would be nice but I don't have the funds or time to justify the change. I also have not ran one on a PC so there might be some difference from my experience.

If you decide to ditch the PC I have a friend that needs one. (if cheap enough for him)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
i have noticed this several times this year, the track will wash out when it really shouldn't, no matter my foot position, throttle input, it will just lose traction, not all the time but in the cases i noticed the most, it should not have washed out....
the bigger lug pc track for 2013 may improve this, but im not sure it will make that drastic of a improvement!!!

I used to think that, but since I narrowed my sled it only washes if I really spin the the track but I can control how much with the right rider position and throttle control.

V

VRod

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Out here when the snow is good the CE is a trencher, in the spring it would be nice but I don't have the funds or time to justify the change. I also have not ran one on a PC so there might be some difference from my experience.

If you decide to ditch the PC I have a friend that needs one. (if cheap enough for him)

I've experienced the direct opposite result. Did you run the CE on your turboM? With the CE the sled gets up on the snow way better (doesn't trench nearly as bad) and for deep pow days, it's not even a comparison, it floats much better. The only place the pclaw was better is when you came across an old track, it would hook up slightly better and for spring climbing when the base is good. But coming down, no thanks. We ran the sleds side x side on a few deep days, 3 sleds with a pclaw and one with a CE, swapped sleds a few times and a couple weeks later all 4 sleds were running CEs.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Not on my turbo but some comparable. but for tree riding the PC would spin then pull, the CE would pull or dig and most of the time just dig. I could agree with it for some riding style but not mine.
The comparing sleds where unknown people I just ran across so there could be other factors involved, but for the most part it did do what you said except where I need it the PC worked better. up to 80% of the riding I would rather have the CE but when going beyond the limits, I didn't care for it. Maybe that would change if I had one though and got the feel and adjusted for it. But like a I said, can't justify it.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I've experienced the direct opposite result. Did you run the CE on your turboM? With the CE the sled gets up on the snow way better (doesn't trench nearly as bad) and for deep pow days, it's not even a comparison, it floats much better. The only place the pclaw was better is when you came across an old track, it would hook up slightly better and for spring climbing when the base is good. But coming down, no thanks. We ran the sleds side x side on a few deep days, 3 sleds with a pclaw and one with a CE, swapped sleds a few times and a couple weeks later all 4 sleds were running CEs.

I agree with VRod in regards to the new 2.5 Camo (9174 and 9175). The newer Camo with the straight lugs feels much softer then the Powerclaw and I would think is a much better Powder track. Never compared side by side, but I would sure think the softer lugs would work better in the fluff.

However, if you go back to the old Camo 2.5 that had the saw teeth, it is a much stiffer track. This was an awesome spring track and a bit of a trencher in the soft stuff.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
How do you guys think the new 2.6" Power Claw will be?

What track do you think would be the best for the "Sierra Cement" snow we get here out west. We get storms that dump 2-3 of powder, but the next day it will be 40* and melting. The snow sets up pretty fast and becomes firm quickly.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Wyo PM me about the track.

I was wondering what to do with it. In the old days you could take your 1" track and cut it up for traction for your ramps or whatever, but 2" plus is too much.

Couple of ideas came to mind. I could cut it up into 6" chunks and let the dog chew it up this summer (he'd have the whitest smile on the block). I could add another water feature to the three level pond in the back yard (paddle wheel). Has anyone tried it for a bad back, kinda like an massaging bed. Seems like the magic fingers would fit just right between my shoulders.

Any other ideas out there in case i can't sell it?

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I know this is a track thread but

you can always go old school and throw some ski chains around your skis or a drive belt around your ski for added drag after you climb a steep chute in spring conditions, it beats the 100 mph downhill slide.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
I cut down the ends of my fingers just enough to make an mx ice racing screw flush right down the finger on my10M only on on the paddle outside finger

Did it for better launch in my races but was impressed how much it helped stopping and traction in the parking lot when you usually just spin out :)

Havnt done this on my hcr yet though.

It stiffens up the outside of the paddle and adds a little traction on the icy parts of the courses we run

-Aksnopro

Premium Features