• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 vs 2013 cat

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
The real question is, WILL cat fix these 2012's out of the goodness of their heart and bring them to 2013 standard (as many hope for but as yet not promised in writing, just a vague "all the updates" WHAT UPDATES PLEASE!). Or will they wait for individual failures (like the coolant hose or fuel pick-up issues this year) and let CAT CARE deal with it.

Or, will 2013 be another learning year for Cat.

I'm not sure enough to roll the dice this year. Never thought twice about it before.

And that is just a personal decision from a guy that has had at least one new sled every year since 1997.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
ya i agree. i want the cat. this is a cat forum so i know everyone usually is leaning more towards the cat. but ive heard good things about the doo as well. i just dont know if i can do that. so what does everyone think. cat, pro, or doo. i gotta snow check one. whats the best one??

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
personally looking at a new cat, i like the dealer i deal with and thats what keeps me. on a cat.[/QUOTE]

Yep; a great dealer can make a huge difference. I pulled a cord on a belt, new belt, warranty, no questions. Float 2 in the skid frame was sagging out, new Float 2, still sagging, Zero Pro coilover. Warranty, no questions asked. I think if I didn't have such an awesome dealer and had to pay for belts, or fight through issues I'd be less optomistic about things too. I already have it worked out with them to drop my sled off in the fall and take it from there as far as updates, 2013 upgrades, mods, etc.

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
Well Geo that is why you decide what works best for you and go buy what you want.

No doubt cat has some issues but IMO Polaris has long ignored an even more severe motor issue. That is why I bought a used 2012 PC8 and with some work it has evolved into a great performing machine. Still a work in progress though. I also have 2 1/2 years of warranty left.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Judging from past experience they will replace parts as they fail unless it is a safety hazard which could lead to a law suit. There will be up dates on things that plain don't work (reveres on 4 strokes) but unless you have a issue that can not be solved any other way (multiple attempts by dealer= lots of travel to drop off and pick up sled) I would not expect a box full of new part to make your 2012 a 2013.

Like a lot of you are saying, most of the people have no issues, its just a minority that keeps posting over and over again, there isnt really anything real wrong with the 2012's. So why would cat do a blanket update that would cost a ton of $$$ when you all are so happy already. Now remember not to whine when you fight the same issue next year cause everything's great.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Full bs, unless every proclimb in my group is part of the bad batch we have 100% belt issue rate in alaska.

Why? Cause we got deep snow everywhere!!! And most us ride hard!

If you cant pull over 200 ft elevation changes in one pull i wouldnt suspect you have any issues. All 6 in my click and several others i know of are pulling cords. I dont know of one lucky guy in alaska yet....

-Aksnopro

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
Full bs, unless every proclimb in my group is part of the bad batch we have 100% belt issue rate in alaska.

If you cant pull over 200 ft elevation changes in one pull i wouldnt suspect you have any issues. All 6 in my click and several others i know of are pulling cords. I dont know of one lucky guy in alaska yet....

-Aksnopro

There is belt issues for sure. I'm not saying there isn't. As long as I can send in belts that pull cords and get new belts until a solution is found I'm good. If they don't find a solution I will have a problem with that. With 2 more years of warranty I have no problem riding mine for another year. If I'm having any serious issues this time next year I'll be getting something else, and be selling this one with still a full year of warranty.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada

-Aksnopro

There is belt issues for sure. I'm not saying there isn't. As long as I can send in belts that pull cords and get new belts until a solution is found I'm good. If they don't find a solution I will have a problem with that. With 2 more years of warranty I have no problem riding mine for another year. If I'm having any serious issues this time next year I'll be getting something else, and be selling this one with still a full year of warranty.

Sarcasm boys, learn to recognize it.:faint::help:

This was more directed to some of the members here who refuse to recognize that there is some serious issues and a little complaining may be needed to let people know whats happening so solutions can be found.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
NU MODALS

I went to West Yellowstone sat to visually check out the new arctic cats and the other stuff.

I don't own a 012 or ripped one down to its last locating pin so what I saw was same old same old. typical second year models with all those things we expected the first year, vertical steeeerin', other colors, 2.6 pc is impressive to look at/ should work. Same left side motor mount ? I think....... nothing added. secondary clutch same. some changes to the primary/cover/no fan or fan holes.

When the montana area rep was available we talked about belt issues which he is acutely aware of. sounds like cat if they fix the issue it will be done with unmentioned updates and changes to come, not on show sleds. rep indicated new MITUBISHI belt coming and sounded like not the new one to be issued to 012 guys this spring. He mentioned that gearing was going to change to lower for m sleds but not just a 20 top. Some issues with the secondary will be resolved so they see something there thats been problematic, might be helix design change or.......vague about particulars on that issue. I would bet motor mount material changes if the changes over 6 years of the M sleds is an example, no overhaul, but a new part # I am betting.

Rainy weekend down there, pretty quiet crowd, lots of left over clothing for sale for way tooo much money. Some nice new Klim stuff, but my old is wearing like iron. check the twisting rear skid frame on the skidoo ? might work, like the cat clutch fan ?

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
The AC dealer here told me that the 13's have a new larger clutch to fix the belt problem. Not sure why that would help the belt life but just wondering if anyone else has heard this?

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
The AC dealer here told me that the 13's have a new larger clutch to fix the belt problem. Not sure why that would help the belt life but just wondering if anyone else has heard this?

And also an updated(?) chain case too I guess.. updated ES also from what I hear

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
From that report all that changed was a new belt, 084, and there going with a lower engagement spring. I don't think 2800 is enough R's to engage at, but there current spring doesn't come in till 3800 not the 3200 they state in the doc.

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Haleluyah Boys, they fixed the belt blowing problem with a belt that we are already blowing! Thanks guys for posting that information, but, Arctic Cat, Really? I'm not impressed! Maybe those September updates include more than what they showed there. NOT!:frusty:

Premium Features