• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST: One way to increase the speed of SnoWest!

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Don't confuse polite persistence with raucous volume of complaints.

Some of us know what this forum has been like since the beginning.

The problems experienced since the "new regime" took over management of the site and made all of the changes did not exist for years previously.

While the browser used may provide modest difference in page rendering, the performance of the database server is the primary issue at hand here and needs to be addressed.

Performance of the server and application infrastructure is what is in question here.

Good luck, your reputation for managing this site is rapidly deteriorating.

MtnDoo

H
Nov 26, 2007
Preston, Id.
I tried to look at some stuff last night and after waiting about a minute for each page to load just said to he11 with it.

Change it back until new servers can be purchased, this has become a joke:confused:

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Don't confuse polite persistence with raucous volume of complaints.

Some of us know what this forum has been like since the beginning.

The problems experienced since the "new regime" took over management of the site and made all of the changes did not exist for years previously.

While the browser used may provide modest difference in page rendering, the performance of the database server is the primary issue at hand here and needs to be addressed.

Performance of the server and application infrastructure is what is in question here.

Good luck, your reputation for managing this site is rapidly deteriorating.

MtnDoo

I totally agree. many of us have been here for a long time and usually keep quiet but this is totally absurd!

there was 900 logged on earlier and it was taking 30 seconds to load a page. give me a break!

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I'm glad you all are starting to speak up. I knew I was not the only one who thought this was B.S.

Now if only every one who was sick of having these changes forced down there throat, would speak up maybe they would listen. They asked what be thought and most said leave a good thing alone... yet here we are with an F 'ed up forum.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Don't know many guys who would mod there sled to make it run like crap?:rolleyes:

Like I said before

If it's like you said then there good cause they broke er right out of the gate.

Don't get me wrong, change is good. I think they needed moderators snd there was editing issues with the forum software, but give me a break it's like they just wanted to... heck who knows what there goal is unless it to tick enough of us off that someone goes and starts a new forum and takes half there members. I've seen this happen with a couple forums in the 4x4 comunity.

B
Dec 8, 2004
Monticello, Mn
Heres another solution

I am sure that everyone that is bashing the speed of the forum has already prepaid their 2 year subscription.

So my solution is to have everyone encourage their buddies that ride and are on the forum to make sure their mag subscription is up to date. This will allow SW to provide better webservers for this FREE forum.

:)

B-

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I am sure that everyone that is bashing the speed of the forum has already prepaid their 2 year subscription.

So my solution is to have everyone encourage their buddies that ride and are on the forum to make sure their mag subscription is up to date. This will allow SW to provide better webservers for this FREE forum.

B-

just re upped mine

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

B-

You actually pay for that worthless waste of paper? It's too slick to wipe your rear with, so it's not really worth paying for.

We PAY for this site simply by being here, this is why advertisers PAY to advertise here. Have you ever bought anything from an advertiser on this site? I have & feel that this is the more important factor in this equation.

As was stated in another thread, advertisers are unhappy because the slowdown is also affecting them. The fact that this is being ignored (yeah, I know, not ignored, they care greatly, they just DO NOTHING ABOUT IT) is pretty pitiful & in the long run, will hurt Harris more than they realize.

As the season starts, people will pour in, as it fails to work well, they will leave rather than becoming regular user like some of us here.

It's just going to get worse.

SO, how's this "upgrade" working out for them??????

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
btw, I've used opera, FF, and chrome.

I have shout box disabled,

It is STILL pitifully slow no matter what browser I use, I cant imagine how bad it must be for the suckers that are using IE!!!

And yet the "management" REFUSES to do ANYTHING useful about the speed.

unreal, I've never seen anything like this.

B
Jan 21, 2003
Over the last couple days several users have reported that by moving from Microsoft Internet Explorer over to Mozilla Firefox they saw MASSIVE increases on overall forum speed.

We confirmed this report with FIREFOX and now know WHY it is working so much faster than Internet Explorer.

Firefox has a different implimentation of the JavaScript processor in it, and it is doing a MUCH BETTER JOB on processing the data stream coming from the SnoWest server. by processing the JavaScript faster, it is able to display the forum pages faster, and reduce your wait time.

I am going to send out a PM to all members advising them that if they are suffering from any slowdowns that they go here and seriously consider downloading and installing FireFox as an alternate browser.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html?from=getfirefox

I have always used fire fox, and never has snowest been this slow. I'm not sure what is going on, but It to the point where waiting to go to the second page of a thread takes at least a min. Please do something and put snowest back to how it was.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Before you run out and buy a new server please look into the following things, as a new server may not help the issue.

Your IE specific issue is related to the number of requests that is required to load a page on snowest. To load a page of snowest requires 412 requests. IE limits you 2 per at a time, (6 with ie 8).. That's 412 files on an intital load, 106 on reload

These files can only be loaded 2 files at a time. Split your files between multiple domains (ever notice how when you go to facebook or other large sites, images and media come from one domain, javascript from another, turn on server side caching if you don't already have it going, and preload common images. Any common lib you guys use off load to google, if it's apart of the google code library, and last but not least.. not to rip into you guys.. but really spend some time figuring out how to reduce the number of requests from 412 down to around 100. 412 Requests in insanely large. Consolidate, minimize (YUICOMPRESSOR), and then GZIP, all your JS and CSS files before taking them live, then offload the abundant of smaller files on something like EC2.

If your running into CPU/Processor issues on the box it's self. Split the DB and the Web server onto 2 boxes if it isn't already, also increase the amount of wait time between searches as they are very db intense. What environment are you running. If windows, what php mod are you using. Depending how you connect PHP to IIS7 will make a huge difference in stability and performance.

If you guys need any help let me know I do this for a living, I can always use a bit of side work to finance the sleds! :)

119074441.jpg

Last edited:
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Nope.
I neither want, nor am asking, anyone to change.
I just want to be sure people know there is a potential solution to a problem they are complaining about.

Whether or not they choose to use it is entirely up to them.
been running Firefox for years now and it's still slower than dog crap in January.

Oh and yes you are asking everyone else to change and with the "important poll" thread in General (started by a mod) I'm betting your going to ask for everybody to give you their change too. If that's the case you can watch as exactly what I predicted earlier starts to happen, people leave, then advertisers leave, then YOU are out on your tail without this job anymore. and SW Forum is a memory of something that was once great and eventually distroyed by someone with too much pride to admit he was wrong.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
yeah, unfortunately I think much of what users are saying is falling on deaf ears.

Lots of help here, lots of people who understand networking, databases, computing, etc, but nobody seems interested in taking any donations.

IMO, throwing more power at this site isn't going to help anything.

Crappy code, running on the best server farm on the fastest internet, is still crappy code and will execute as such. It's like putting a first-time rider on a 350hp sled and expecting them to climb huge mountains and chutes their first day on the mountain.

One of the things I've been saying all along.... old members that post a lot start disappearing, the ones that don't post much see the place is a ghost town and in turn don't post.... everyone finds a new home... nobody visits anymore... pretty soon, why even bother keeping it online?

At least Thumpertalk has a snow forum now... faster than SW.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i dont konw what the heck you said here,but it sounds good:)

Before you run out and buy a new server please look into the following things, as a new server may not help the issue.

Your IE specific issue is related to the number of requests that is required to load a page on snowest. To load a page of snowest requires 412 requests. IE limits you 2 per at a time, (6 with ie 8).. That's 412 files on an intital load, 106 on reload

These files can only be loaded 2 files at a time. Split your files between multiple domains (ever notice how when you go to facebook or other large sites, images and media come from one domain, javascript from another, turn on server side caching if you don't already have it going, and preload common images. Any common lib you guys use off load to google, if it's apart of the google code library, and last but not least.. not to rip into you guys.. but really spend some time figuring out how to reduce the number of requests from 412 down to around 100. 412 Requests in insanely large. Consolidate, minimize (YUICOMPRESSOR), and then GZIP, all your JS and CSS files before taking them live, then offload the abundant of smaller files on something like EC2.

If your running into CPU/Processor issues on the box it's self. Split the DB and the Web server onto 2 boxes if it isn't already, also increase the amount of wait time between searches as they are very db intense. What environment are you running. If windows, what php mod are you using. Depending how you connect PHP to IIS7 will make a huge difference in stability and performance.

If you guys need any help let me know I do this for a living, I can always use a bit of side work to finance the sleds! :)

119074441.jpg

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
go to fire fox...bullsh1tttt...the other forums work fine on my ie..even if your right Christopher...ie has worked fine on this forum before the changes with alot more users on...so that arguement is crap and im surprised you are jumping all over it rather then deal with a serious issue...man alive get over the denial..i would hate to go snowmobiling with you...if you ever got stuck you would wait for the snow to melt rather then pull yourself out

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
firefox allows for more concurrent http requests, same with google chrome. Which is why it's faster for most people with broadband internet connections...and there is less spyware/adware exploits with FF. It's a good switch in general.

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
Well well well.......my Grampa use to tell me it's not what you know but what others know and your willing to listen to. You have had some very sharp guys chime in with lots of GREAT suggestions on how to save money and increase user satisfaction, don't ignore them!!!! This is the first time I have come to this section and I am sure most haven't been here but have the same thoughts voiced here, once again LISTEN!

Premium Features