• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Utah Snow Show attendees... thoughts?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
What were your thoughts on the show? I thought it was down in attendance and also vendors. Might have been as many vendors in booths, but the 'quality' of vendors was off if that makes sense... several turbo sellers, wrap sellers, destination displays and trailers... lots of trailers, and clothing of course. Even the regular guys seemed to have smaller booths than previous years.

Just curious what others' thoughts on it were. Not saying it was good to be there looking at snowmobile stuff, it was.

sled_guy

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
What were your thoughts on the show? I thought it was down in attendance and also vendors. Might have been as many vendors in booths, but the 'quality' of vendors was off if that makes sense... several turbo sellers, wrap sellers, destination displays and trailers... lots of trailers, and clothing of course. Even the regular guys seemed to have smaller booths than previous years.

Just curious what others' thoughts on it were. Not saying it was good to be there looking at snowmobile stuff, it was.

sled_guy

I thought it was a bit underwhelming myself. We were there Friday evening.

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
No reason to go any more, everthing is online. When it comes to anything mechanical, turbos clutching big bores, its safer to buy local with guys you can talk to in person.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Going to the show is a way to support the sled community. Spending dollars there helps local business. Sure you can buy online for a few bucks cheaper, or you could buy from your local shop and actually get support when you need it. Willing to bet that you could price match with vendors at the snow show for online prices and save yourself shipping costs, and negotiate for a better deal sometimes. You also get to see the product hands on and if looking for gear you can try it on to make sure you get right size.

There was also 3-4 local snowmobile clubs you could sign up with at the show. Clubs help organize our voice and fight for access to your public lands.

The show isn't what it used to be. It was still a great show and I was able to find a few deals on some products I needed.

We can sit here on the internet and complain, or we can get our friends, riding buddies, and even bring out newbies and get out to the show and help attract more vendors.

(Yes I paid for 2 tickets for my wife and myself. Yes I spent over couple hundred dollars at local vendors. Yes I registered membership and paid dues in 3 different clubs.)

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
We had an exceptional show.

We had a lot of killer deals on motorfist gear So we know that helped suck some of the traffic our way. Also lots of interest in our hard parts which we manufacture like our new light bar system for the snowbikes. Overall the show has shrunk a little over the past few years but dollar wise this was our best show on record.

We know for the die hards shows can be a little trivial seeming since you can find everything online but we always enjoy connecting with our customers 1 on 1. Shaking hands, putting faces with names, etc. Our industry is fairly small and its cool to have a personal connection with so many athletes as well as everyday riders.

We are very grateful to all the folks who came out and stop in, chatted, and bought things. We all do this because its what we love, and connecting with our consumers and talking with how we can better their riding experience is what makes it worth it. Shows are exhausting as a vendor, with the driving, setup, etc we are all easily working 16 hour days on the weekends and back to the store for the other days to play catch up.

Thanks for your continued support!

IceAge Staff.

E
Nov 26, 2007
I think with the way you buy sleds nowdays the need for aftermarket parts and accessories are not terribly needed. Manufactures have built awesome sleds turnkey. Its especially evident here on the forums, back in 98' you really needed good advise on how to make your sled run better. All I really see anymore is "what wrap, best turbo, size track".

The aftermarket stuff was fun, it kept me really interested in riding and gave me something to think about and work on waiting for snow. I see the sport growing more towards the single ski, moto bike style.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
I'll still go because I spent the day talking to fellow riders, and that's not a bad way to spend a saturday, especially since we had driven down from Boise. I'll go to the Boise show and do the exact same thing too.

And as much fun as this forum is, there's still nothing like shooting the breeze in person.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I am not surprised to hear the show was not all that big. It has been shrinking every year for the past 7 years. The last time i attended they had half the arena filled with trailers the size of Chris Burandt's hauler so it would appear bigger then it was. With the dismal snow that the West has had the past few years has made it tough to get motivated to spend money on sleds. Not here to debate if the snow is bad where you are you have to travel for it. Some of us are not lucky enough to have the funds or the time to travel where the snow is and have to do with what is in our local area. If there is no snow we don't ride. If we have a banner of a year i am sure next year people will start to going again. There will always be room for the after market for sleds. What do you think drives the OEM's to produce the sleds they are producing?. what is stock today what aftermarket last year. What is aftermarket today will be stock next year. I am with MORT. I enjoy walking around seeing whats new and innovative for the year and hang out with like minds people.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
phatty, I wasn't complaining, didn't mean to come across that way, I was just curious what others thought. I agree with your thoughts 100%.

I go to the show for a few reasons.
1 - Get me in the mood for the coming season
2 - See old friends in the industry
3 - Buy something... the snowshow is like Costco for me, I can't go there without spending a couple of hundred dollars.

The one thing I wish we could figure out for the Utah show is how to get the swap meet to take off. Not every show can be like Haydays, but more than 3 guys there would be nice to figure out. Of course, I could help by dragging all my crap out of the shop into the trailer and taking it down there.

And I can tell I've been going to a lot of shows for a long time and that I'm getting old when I spend the majority of my time looking at the vintage sleds. :)

sled_guy

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I wasn't pointing fingers either, just ranting! We are trying to find away to get more people involved in the sport, i think the snow show could be a good jump start.
And we need to get the young kids (16-35) involved with clubs and fighting for riding areas.

I had a sled in the swap meet, so yea some traffic out there would be nice! The warmest fall on record didnt help matters either...

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
I will be going next year as a vendor, but the attendance number I was given shocked me a little. The Maine show I attended was 3 times more and the New Hampshire show was 10+ times. Just figured it was bigger in the west.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
as a guy that goes to snow shows for one reason, to bs with people and than there is the buying of registations. I don't buy at snow shows. Just don't want to. but I might sneek a peek at something I am interested in and than go home and think about it and then buy it. salesmanagers need to understand you might not get many sales at the show, but you get more sales after the show, because you where at the show and people saw your product. look at the snowshows as advertising, not actually selling.

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
Wasn't dissing the show. There are some things you just need to see in person or try on or talk to the guy one on one.
Sleds are so good now the bolt on goodies seem less and less. But when I have the chance I always buy from Utah first.
When it come to getting new people interested, Its ski doo with the Burton edtion sled and most recintly Dan Adams and Travis Rice, both pro snowboarders, we need the backcounty skier/boarder to realize the sled is an access tool for them as well and if they loose that right there stuck at the resorts with the yahoo tourists! Same reason why Harley gives the Sportster away for cost, you need to get the younger generation hooked.

my sled, Zbroz springs,Zollinger starter pulley,R&M lightning products seat mod, handle bar bag,Dragon saver 827 kit,weller rec, rocky mountain atv mc,Daniels Summit Lodge,The Notch on hwy 150 for the best after ride burger

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I love going to the show and go every year. With that being said it does need help. Some ideas.

Advertise!!!! I know of many people that didn't have a clue about the show that would have gone. Unless you are on the forums would you have known about it? I wouldn't have.

Fix the advanced ticket purchase problem. I tried buying tickets 4 times on Harris's website and it wouldn't work. Finally got them and then I still have to wait in the same stupid line to get in?? If you purchase your tickets in advance you should just be able to walk in and show them your receipt. Standing in line for 15 minutes after already buying tickets is crazy.

"If you build it they will come". When Klim decides to go to Toronto instead of a few hours down the road we have a serious problem. My kids were so excited to go "hang with Klim" they couldn't wait to go. Sadly Klim stiffed us. I doubt I ever buy another Klim anything ever again because of that. When 2 of the 4 manufacturers don't even have factory sponsored booths we have a problem. Cat Country's booth was pretty pathetic. Yamaha just flat didn't have anything. Event promoters have to realize that if they can't get vendors there people aren't going to come. Get the vendors there people want to see. Advertise so people other than Snowesters know about it and you will have a great show.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
KBER ran some ads the few days before, but I didn't seem to hear as much as in the past.

As phatty and I talked briefly about at the show, the weather didn't help things at all. It was a nice day both Friday and Saturday, people don't think about snow shows in weather like that.

sled_guy

Premium Features