• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872 ETEC review

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Just an observation, maybe someone already mentioned this.... With the 7t drivers your speedo will read 8% higher than actual speed. So an indicated 40 is really closer to 37mph. So seeing 10 mph more on the same hill is very significant. Gearing has no effect on speedo as it senses driveshaft speed only.
If the 872 is still in break in, it will get stronger. Even after that it will likely continue to run better until he gets about 400 miles in it. I have heard this from several customers as they have had to add pin weight.
Finding that sweet spot between clutching and gearing to take advantage of the added power is also critical. A tooth on gearing or a gram of weight can make a significant difference and it may take some experimentation to find what works best for a particular sled.

i never thought about the speedo being off. i had it stuck in my mind that the 21T top offset the smaller drivers.......which it does, it offsets gear ratio. but i WONT offset the speedo readings.

so 8% is the magic number to calculate the speed with then huh? is there a way to calibrate the speedo so it is correct when using the smaller drivers?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
i never thought about the speedo being off. i had it stuck in my mind that the 21T top offset the smaller drivers.......which it does, it offsets gear ratio. but i WONT offset the speedo readings.

so 8% is the magic number to calculate the speed with then huh? is there a way to calibrate the speedo so it is correct when using the smaller drivers?

Unfortunately there is not. I have searched and not found the option on BUDS or the CanDooPro systems. I have 7T on my sled as well.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
My understanding is that in the Buds it has a 7 or 8 tooth option when plugged in too a 14 or 15 doo they didn't plug into a 13 but did try on a 11 and 12 and that option did not show up

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
One thing to note today as I inspect my machine- my 872 pistons look immaculate at around 450-500 miles....my 2014 Polaris 800 at 600 miles...slightly different story.

I
Nov 26, 2007
One thing to note today as I inspect my machine- my 872 pistons look immaculate at around 450-500 miles....my 2014 Polaris 800 at 600 miles...slightly different story.

The Pistons in the HO Polaris motor come pregrooved. No need to wait until 600 miles now.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Had a discussion with split second this last week on the etec, he said he quit doing the bb since he has only found a 3hp increase with it over the stock bore ported etec..

He dynos the stock etec at 142hp at his elevation, with a y pipe mod and his stock porting he is at 160after, even a bit bitter with twin pipes, when he does a 860bb on the etec he is at 163hp..

Talking with another guy that did the 872, a few years back he said he felt a big difference over the stock etec and loved the machine, but recently tried the tss turbo and said it was just a entire different feel of tq and power.. He was so impressed he bought a new sled and installed a tss on it

Comes down to what your after and how much you want to spend, and when to stop..

lol you crack me up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Maybe I missed something but making a post of my new 872 runs so strong, or a video cruising around cheering yourself on, or giving unproved track speeds proves absolutely nothing !

How hard is it to find a deep untracked hill, line them up with comparible riders and identical year and same length of track - ie: 2 174 T3,s they are every where and video that - same thing everyone seems to have a camera of some type.

I love turbo,s they dont just "feel strong" they absolutely kill a stock sled.
Im talking about TSS or Boost-It for turbo,s.that I own or did own. Lets see some PROOF guys. Not trying to hurt anyones feelers.......

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Ya all might look into Heal Tech Speedo Healer for your Speedo correction issues

Just a quick note for your speedo correction issues.

Depending on what the Skidoo uses for it's pickup, Heal Tech Electronics makes a very small correction box called the SpeedoHealer (smaller then a credit card / lighter than an I-phone). Originally marketed for motorcycles but it has capabilities far beyond that. I'm currently selling a plug and play unit for the Polaris sleds but a quick Email to Norbert at Heal Tech will confirm or deny it's workability with the Skidoo sensor / electronics. FWIW

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Hard to find a untracked hill much less a deep one this season, also have built a couple turbo sleds for myself and there is no doubt that they perform well and will beat up on the stockers but not in every condition or every day.
Then you have the price comparison of the two, Big Bore vs Turbo.
Do agree though the only way to see how well they run is to put them
beside something else too see if they truly do build power.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
How hard is it to find a deep untracked hill, line them up with comparible riders and identical year and same length of track - ie: 2 174 T3,s they are every where and video that - same thing everyone seems to have a camera of some type.

I have been looking for this comparison also.

Last edited:
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
We've been trying for that but we have had inconsistent riding conditions and trouble getting all of the sleds together in the same area at the same time. Believe me, we are all about the real world comparisons. Honest feedback is all we have at the moment. Plenty of people here in Alaska have seen the sleds run and can vouch for their performance increase but that doesn't mean a lot to riders over the internet from the lower 48 states.

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
fuel use with 872 Etec

Most people aren't concerned with this, but how much more fuel do you they use? I do a fair amount of long mountain riding where fuel consumption is very important and running out is stressful for the group. I can get about 100 miles of mixed mountain/crosscountry riding with a light throttle in moderate snow from a tank on my stock etec before tapping into the spare gas. Any mpg numbers out there?

With the 872 Etec builds if you ride next to a stock 800 same conditions same speeds our 872 will use less fuel as it needs much less throttle. When you put it up to its potential and leave the stock one way behind it will use 10 percent more fuel, Many reports of this over the last 5 seasons with our 872 builds.

Dave Trygstad

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I am going to a forum ride Mar 1-4 with my 872 in my sig below. There will be several T3's there of different track lengths, some with clutch kits, some bone stock. I have a gopro so if we can find the right conditions, I will get some footage. Bear in mind though....this will be an 872 R motor vs T3's.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I am going to a forum ride Mar 1-4 with my 872 in my sig below. There will be several T3's there of different track lengths, some with clutch kits, some bone stock. I have a gopro so if we can find the right conditions, I will get some footage. Bear in mind though....this will be an 872 R motor vs T3's.

I think you will fair just fine against the new iron. Wish the big bore doubters could get a feel for the difference when just boondocking, crossing a creek, or just making a throttle stab. That's when the torque really shows on the big bores. Video just cannot show that. It is a true seat of the pants difference that is hard to describe. Not to mention how smooth the big bores are running.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I think you will fair just fine against the new iron. Wish the big bore doubters could get a feel for the difference when just boondocking, crossing a creek, or just making a throttle stab. That's when the torque really shows on the big bores. Video just cannot show that. It is a true seat of the pants difference that is hard to describe. Not to mention how smooth the big bores are running.

This is a very true statement! Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I agree swerv, I am doing it just to appease those that want to see the vids. You and I know how it feels and the consistent comments from T3 riders that I ride with says it all.....this is why I still have my 09 !!!!

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
I'll probably do an 872 install on my sled over the summer. Never done the install before. I'm sure it's easy and I do a all my mods myself but it would be nice to have idiot proof instructions just for the piece of mind. Torque specs etc.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Factory specs, factory instructions....you're just replacing pistons, re/re block, re/re head with new domes, re/re t stat...nothing complicated. your best investment would be a shop manual.

Premium Features