• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

coolant hoses 04 800 ho

N
Mar 13, 2009
Just purchased ski doo 2004 800 ho the coolant hoses to carbs have been disconnected and plugged. should i reconnect them? and why were they disconnected?

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
they are for the heated carbs you dont need them unless you are riding in extreme cold weather like -20 or lower

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
I have found that the carbs can ice up in almost any temp if your in deep powder. I dont like the heated carbs, when they are turned on I found it harder to restart. I just run a little alcohol in the fuel, just a few ounces does the trick. Dino

Y
Got a few weird posts on here tonight!

How does alcohol in the gas tank/float/bowls/venturri mist/crankcase, unstick frozen slides or iced up carbs? It doesn't!

You would be better off drinking your alcohol and pizzing on the carbs to get the sled running again.

Ice forms in carbs because when the work they create low pressure and evaporation that lowers the carbs temperature. Any moisture in the air will turn to ice and stick on the carbs and then the carbs can't do their job anymore. The usual temperature for the formation of carb ice is +10c down to -2c, however on sleds the snow and steam lowers this temperture to almost anytime you are in loose snow and making steam.

However, if you are flying an aircraft with a normal air cooled engine and the engine starts to slow down due to ice build up in the carb, and you forgot about the carb heat until everything was quiet, you should still drink the alcohol. You will not be able to pizz on the carburetor, but it will make your stupid azz crash landing that you are going to have a little more funny anyway.

T
Nov 28, 2007
seymour b.c

How does alcohol in the gas tank/float/bowls/venturri mist/crankcase, unstick frozen slides or iced up carbs? It doesn't!

You would be better off drinking your alcohol and pizzing on the carbs to get the sled running again.

Ice forms in carbs because when the work they create low pressure and evaporation that lowers the carbs temperature. Any moisture in the air will turn to ice and stick on the carbs and then the carbs can't do their job anymore. The usual temperature for the formation of carb ice is +10c down to -2c, however on sleds the snow and steam lowers this temperture to almost anytime you are in loose snow and making steam.

However, if you are flying an aircraft with a normal air cooled engine and the engine starts to slow down due to ice build up in the carb, and you forgot about the carb heat until everything was quiet, you should still drink the alcohol. You will not be able to pizz on the carburetor, but it will make your stupid azz crash landing that you are going to have a little more funny anyway.

like he said.hook em back up

S
Mar 11, 2009
Alcohol or gas line antifreeze helps get rid of any ice or moisture it touches, which is why it helps with an iced up carb, ask a truck driver what he uses in frozen air lines.

N
Mar 13, 2009
coolant hoses-carbs

Thanks for the info i will hook them back up. I appreciate the help. Why would they be unhooked in the first place?

Last edited:
T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT

Oh man I thought you were gone :rolleyes:I think alcohol wont unfreeze a froze slide. But it keeps the slide from freezing in the first place... just real life experiences. Dino

Last edited:
T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Thanks for the info i will hook them back up. I appreciate the help. Why would they be unhooked in the first place?
Cant really say on your sled...maybe if the previous owner was rejetting , say to ride at higher elevations. The coolant lines are a pain. Yeah I know DPM is supposed to compensate for elevation changes and they doo a good job of it but are still limited by jet size. I ride mostly between 2500-6000 feet but when I go to Mc Call or Jackson I drop a jet size or two. Yes the heated carbs will keep you from having sticking carb slides. I just find the sled wont run as good with them turned on, cant explain why... I just notice a difference. Hope this helps, Dino

N
Mar 13, 2009
found problem

I found out why they were unhooked! The line from the carb to the coolant tank had been taken off becouse it cracked so they put a screw in it and jb weld it. Some people do crazy things just to get buy. I wonder if they new what would have happened if that broke while out riding? Thanks for the info.

Premium Features