• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Tether Switch Kit

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Everyone needs a tether. Polaris should build every sled with one.
So this doesn’t happen to someone else. Track damage.
His last words were "I've never worn a tether."

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I am thinking about going back to the Polaris button style kill switch/tether. We have been running the Pro Armors for 4 years now, and there are just too many times that the sled keeps running after you pull the cord. This has occurred on almost all of our sleds with different Pro Armor switches installed. Not sure if they get wet inside and freeze or what. It hasn't caused a problem, yet, and the few times we have needed it the engine did cut off, but I am uneasy. The other issue is that the release can take a lot of force sometimes. We have bent the clip all up more than once, and only use them with carabiners. A little nervous that a cord will fail sometime.

In all the years we have used the Polaris version we have had some issues getting them to start, but never any problems with them shutting off.

This sucks because we really like the Pro Armor system - positive lock in, easy to use with gloves, good visual as to what is going on, etc.

Thoughts.....?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I am thinking about going back to the Polaris button style kill switch/tether. We have been running the Pro Armors for 4 years now, and there are just too many times that the sled keeps running after you pull the cord. This has occurred on almost all of our sleds with different Pro Armor switches installed. Not sure if they get wet inside and freeze or what. It hasn't caused a problem, yet, and the few times we have needed it the engine did cut off, but I am uneasy. The other issue is that the release can take a lot of force sometimes. We have bent the clip all up more than once, and only use them with carabiners. A little nervous that a cord will fail sometime.

In all the years we have used the Polaris version we have had some issues getting them to start, but never any problems with them shutting off.

This sucks because we really like the Pro Armor system - positive lock in, easy to use with gloves, good visual as to what is going on, etc.

Thoughts.....?

Pingel tether is reliable.

Or mercury outboard motor tether.

Trash the poo and pro Armour.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
We switched back to OEM Polaris tether for the same reason. Never had an issue with the Polaris one.
0e3114bf97781d9ad3c33346bc8f43b1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007

Thoughts.....?
Yes! That's my thought. It may wear over time, but it is pretty simple and reliable.. my experience anyway.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
I had only one Polaris one fail but was -6 the high and -37 at night on that trip and really started to make sled cut out also so I completely disconnected it for the last day. Only time I rode in life with out it on off trails Got changed out minute got home polaris ones are pretty reliable

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I had only one Polaris one fail but was -6 the high and -37 at night on that trip and really started to make sled cut out also so I completely disconnected it for the last day. Only time I rode in life with out it on off trails Got changed out minute got home polaris ones are pretty reliable

Funny 4 out of 4 Polaris ones I have used all have cutout issues.
All within a couple days of install.

(I did the added screw, delete washer business to make sure the plunger was depressed)
No change.

After that they always get disconnected.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Funny 4 out of 4 Polaris ones I have used all have cutout issues.
All within a couple days of install.

(I did the added screw, delete washer business to make sure the plunger was depressed)
No change.

After that they always get disconnected.

Shouldn't have to tamper or modify them. I just mounted min above the knee area with no washer and the plunger sticks out like it would normally stick out when not mounted. Out of the 6 we did none have ever cut out.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I found spraying a little silicone lube in the rubber cup on the lanyard end makes these work much better.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Shouldn't have to tamper or modify them. I just mounted min above the knee area with no washer and the plunger sticks out like it would normally stick out when not mounted. Out of the 6 we did none have ever cut out.

I found spraying a little silicone lube in the rubber cup on the lanyard end makes these work much better.
I just put mine on my 15 Pro tonight, ignore those stupid instructions, find a good place to mount it, drill the hole, plug it in, done. Well, I already had my hood off so that made it easier... but I have Holz venting in hte spot below the switches so I put it off the right side a bit, high enough to hopefully avoid knees and pull starter, no problem with interference behind it, easy plug in. I did put the washer in behind it, that will be coming out (THANKS for that tip!). And did the silicone trick already, makes it go on and off much easier, without it, it almost would not go back on. Once it dries it should be good.
Should I put a screw in the cap like some here say? Not sure I have one that small and don't want to ruin my cap.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I just put mine on my 15 Pro tonight, ignore those stupid instructions, find a good place to mount it, drill the hole, plug it in, done. Well, I already had my hood off so that made it easier... but I have Holz venting in hte spot below the switches so I put it off the right side a bit, high enough to hopefully avoid knees and pull starter, no problem with interference behind it, easy plug in. I did put the washer in behind it, that will be coming out (THANKS for that tip!). And did the silicone trick already, makes it go on and off much easier, without it, it almost would not go back on. Once it dries it should be good.
Should I put a screw in the cap like some here say? Not sure I have one that small and don't want to ruin my cap.

After having issues, I put a screw in the cap everytime on install and didnt have too many problems after. I did have it freeze up once and not shut off though. However if u ever have to replace it, I put cats mag tether on my 850 and I wont ever buy the polaris one again. It's that much better

Premium Features