• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear axle issues!

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
There is a factory update for this now...

Parts are available and dealers will fix them for free! Should take about 1/2 hour or less to get it done great time for everyone to get back to your local dealers, get your first service, and do some shopping(we have lots of end of the season blow out pricing). If you are in our area stop by and we will get you in and out. It uses new washers and a locking tab that fits in the rail and around the bolt to secure the bolt from turning. We should have parts in on Tuesday to get you taken care of.
Thanks!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Can someone post up pics of the fix. I believe the 13 is fine. Solid blocks and conical washer.

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
The 13 settup works fine.

But You will be able to upgrade the 13 sleds to this system as well if you wanted(not warranty).. It is just a set of 2 washers per side and a locking tab washer per side. I forgot the cost of the parts but should be less than $25.00. The update removes the aluminum block and stock washers.

F
Jan 11, 2015
Bolts loosening on 2014's but same on 2013's?

Hi Guys, I'm new here, I have a tricky issue with these axel bolts slipping.

I need an opinion and some info on the history, did this happen on 2013's? or just the 2014's? All I know is that the problem (for me) is mostly related to the Summit 2014 model, I am primarily interested in the subject around the "Aluminum T slider block" with the counter sink (spot faced) surface.

Here is the issue a pal of mine works for the supplier that manufactured the T blocks, BRP is coming after them for damages, because they found some slightly "out of specification" depths on the T slider blocks. I am trying to do a study to conclude that the depth of the countersink has NOTHING to do with the fact that the rear axel bolts are loosening. They also made the non counter-sunk T slider blocks before the design was changed.

So far I have verified or heard the following.
-That the axel might have been too short
-That BRP used various types of locktite or none at all?
-Various torques have been stated between 25&35 ft lbs.
-That there were plastic washers used early in before the two large steel washers, I cant find any record of these plastic washers that might have failed.
-That after the (rumored) plastic washers failed that they instituted the large steel washers to go over the countersink to again attempt some preloaded spring washer effect. (this I know is present)
-Since then have implemented a sort of "tabbed" or castleated lock washer that a tab is bent up on (I also have no pictures of this or what the fix looks like)
-I have purchased the replacement parts and found that there is no way that the bolt will bottom out in the axel, therefore, the only reason that bolts would come loose is the clamping force would not hold with the varieties of locktite + prescribed torqueing value under the intense vibration and shock that the axel shaft and blots are under.
-I believe that for the preload "spring" if plastic was used it would not provide much preload or clamping force and the plastic would eventually break down.
-I believe that putting those monstrous double washers on the slider will have little or no effect in preloading, that they thought that 35ft/lbs would "Draw" the thick washers down into the bottom of the countersink, I don't believe it is possible to flex the washers down into the hole.
-If they wanted to make sure the clamping force held they should have used a spring washer or or lock washer or something even like what they have now with the flip up tab https://www.google.ca/search?q=what...e=univ&ei=_wOzVNuqEYqRyQTMx4DQAg&ved=0CFEQsAQ

http://www.wclco.com/spring-washers/spring-washers-general-description/

-I question the flip up tab washer as well because if it is not somehow anchored to the rail, it might just spin right along with the bolt.

Anyway, BRP are heavily blaming the depth of this countersink for all the "bolt back out" issues and I offered to help do some checking, because I know that some of you guys would be out there on a forum like this, I picked this one because it appeared to be the best one...

Can anybody chime up about what they know of the above and what model year these bolts first appeared to be backing out? It would be helpful to know if they ever had an issue with "non countersunk" slider Tblocks (2013?) and bolts coming loose. To me they have a basic problem with the bolts loosening off, the question is Why and what is the root cause.

Thanks,....

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
This is NOT a BRP issue this is an issue... Part of the PDI at the dealer is setting the track tension where they have to loosen the axle to do. Maybe its just me but I go over all the important points on my sled before riding it for the first time... Taking care of your $13k machine should not be taken lightly...

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
13/14 sleds have issue, 15 model year they fixed with a new axle and very long bolt and nut, from Polaris! :))))
I still check mine before every ride..

Premium Features