• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 165x3 vs 154x3

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
A friend of mine bought a 154x3 last week and I own a 165x3 so we had the chance to compare them side by side. His is bone stock. Mine has a ggb trail can, lower bars, exit rear torsion delete, and felkers clutching so it isn't exactly apples to apples but close enough to get an idea of the characteristics of each track length.

The snow was 30-40" of fresh on top of a good base.

The 154 is very nimble and loves to play. It gets on top of the snow quite well for a 154 and surprised everyone how well it did. There was a aerocharged xm 154x2.5 in the group and they were quite close in the lines they could pull. The 850 does wheelie quite easily but it's also more controllable than I expected. The one thing that really made us scratch our heads is the 154 takes a little more effort to get on edge than the 165 on hills as well as in the meadows. Maybe it was the taller bars or maybe the stock torsion springs make it that way. We couldn't decide. Once you get the 154 on edge it turns and reacts quicker. In a sidehill you have to be on your toes to keep it going straight. It just reacts to every little move that you make with your body. I do like how it cuts deeper in a sidehill.

The 165 is a freaking monster. It hooks up and hauls ***. Where the 154 has a hard time gaining speed, the 165 grabs, gets on top and goes. It seems to never run out of steam, just keeps climbing and clawing its way up the hill. It sidehills really well and is very stable in the sidehill. You want it to go up, it goes up. You want it to go down, just think it. With the exit setup it doesn't wheelie at all. I really am thinking about switching the rear skid to a kmod as I've heard it makes them even better to sidehill and ride the whoops.

My friend that bought the 154 is in the market for another 850 and he told me he will probably buy the 165. He was quite impressed with it. You really can't go wrong with either one, both amazing machines.

Next weekend we are taking the axys out to compare it to the 154 so that should be fun.

Last edited:
N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
A friend of mine bought a 154x3 last week and I own a 165x3 so we had the chance to compare them side by side. His is bone stock. Mine has a ggb trail can, lower bars, exit rear torsion delete, and felkers clutching so it isn't exactly apples to apples but close enough to get an idea of the characteristics of each track length.

The snow was 30-40" of fresh on top of a good base.

The 154 is very nimble and loves to play. It gets on top of the snow quite well for a 154 and surprised everyone how well it did. There was a aerocharged xm 154x2.5 in the group and they were quite close in the lines they could pull. The 850 does wheelie quite easily but it's also more controllable than I expected. The one thing that really made us scratch our heads is the 154 takes a little more effort to get on edge than the 165 on hills as well as in the meadows. Maybe it was the taller bars or maybe the stock torsion springs make it that way. We couldn't decide. Once you get the 154 on edge it turns and reacts quicker. In a sidehill you have to be on your toes to keep it going straight. It just reacts to every little move that you make with your body. I do like how it cuts deeper in a sidehill.

The 165 is a freaking monster. It hooks up and hauls ***. Where the 154 has a hard time gaining speed, the 165 grabs, gets on top and goes. It seems to never run out of steam, just keeps climbing and clawing its way up the hill. It sidehills really well and is very stable in the sidehill. You want it to go up, it goes up. You want it to go down, just think it. With the exit setup it doesn't wheelie at all. I really am thinking about switching the rear skid to a kmod as I've heard it makes them even better to sidehill and ride the whoops.

My friend that bought the 154 is in the market for another 850 and he told me he will probably buy the 165. He was quite impressed with it. You really can't go wrong with either one, both amazing machines.

Next weekend we are taking the axys out to compare it to the 154 so that should be fun.

Give me a call if you're serious on kmod 509-881-5136

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Ski shock is going to depict how its gets on edge. Softer makes it harder to get on edge and stiffer makes it easier to get on edge. I have over 200 miles on both sleds and they are identical for getting on edge and I run identical suspension on both sleds.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Ski shock is going to depict how its gets on edge. Softer makes it harder to get on edge and stiffer makes it easier to get on edge. I have over 200 miles on both sleds and they are identical for getting on edge and I run identical suspension on both sleds.

The ski shocks were set the exact same on both sleds. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the torsion springs are what was making the difference. The 54 would start to lean over to a certain point and then kinda hit a spot that it didn't like to go over.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Thanks guys. Great info.
Question about the Gen 4 154". Im riding a 2014 154 XM 2.5". It has a tendency to wash out on a steeper side hills and its hard to control the front end with the skid falling down. I try to climb around the running boards but if you get to forward I lose more control of the track. So I like my feet about 1/2 way back so can maintain good pressure on the skid. And balance the sled to maneuver it properly in tighter terrain.
Does the Gen 4 154" have any of those traits bad XM traits? I want it to hold a line and the ability to go up and down a sidehill. I know this requires experience & skill, but comparing the Gen 4 track lengths... Which one? Or both?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Thanks guys. Great info.
Question about the Gen 4 154". Im riding a 2014 154 XM 2.5". It has a tendency to wash out on a steeper side hills and its hard to control the front end with the skid falling down. I try to climb around the running boards but if you get to forward I lose more control of the track. So I like my feet about 1/2 way back so can maintain good pressure on the skid. And balance the sled to maneuver it properly in tighter terrain.
Does the Gen 4 154" have any of those traits bad XM traits? I want it to hold a line and the ability to go up and down a sidehill. I know this requires experience & skill, but comparing the Gen 4 track lengths... Which one? Or both?

I noticed I could be a lot further back on the 850 154 than I remember being able to on the xm. The 850 has never really washed out on me and we've ridden some pretty steep sidehills with both of them. The 154 cuts deeper into the snow (making a deeper trench) but it doesn't wash out. From what I've heard, if you delete the tmo it can sidehill even better. I'll have to try it and give some feedback.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Thanks guys. Great info.
I have a 2013 xm 154 x 2.5 and it side hills ok but on steeper stuff wants to climb up it rather than just straight across got over 3500 battle tested miles on it, a bunch of people on this forum said go with the g4 850 165 because it turns just as fast and said go with 3.0 lugs well I got the 2.5 in lugs and 165 and we have had lots of good snow so one of the sidehill areas where I use to always play with 154 I took the g4 with 165 and was able to ride 1/4 mile first try no effort like 154 have over 10 miles of sidehilling 5 miles each side and if you get a chance to try a 165 just do it....

Premium Features