• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 Mtn Cat 144

01ZRTCAT

Mar 12, 2010
Hey all, I have a 02 Mtn 800, 144. Im putting a new track in and while its out I was considering a drop and roll from Fabcraft, I called and talked with Mike and we talked about the process. I want to hear from those who have done this and what to expect? Being from the Neast I ride this sled on the trail and our powder is mostly Boondocking. My biggest complaint is when climbing big hills the tunnels really packs up with snow, My thought is the drop/roll will help?

Will the forward steering post work on my sled? as I said I still have to ride on the trails, Seems like it reduces steering effort?

Other projects
Better Boards
Boss seat
800 is going to a 900
SLP air intake

T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
i looked at the D&R for my 01 800 MC, its alot of work for an older sled. Mine was a 144 but has VE drop brackets and had the skid set back with a 151 installed without having skid extensions put in. By moving the skid back it helps with the approach angle, similar to the drop and roll. The tunnel packs with snow?? or is it the skid? if its the skid, you can port the track to help with this. sorry but i dont know for sure about the steering post, i just used an angled bar riser, OLEs i think, it works nicely

Last edited:

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I have an '04 1M600, and before that I had an '03 1M570. I can tell you the one thing I don't like about the drop and roll chaincase is that it makes the drive hang down below the skidplate, and I'm always having to keep it slow over rough stuff so I don't hurt the drive or bend the shaft as it goes bumping along the rocks or logs... Definately not as much chassis clearance under my sled as the pre-drop sled of '01-02. As someone already suggested, you might try just moving the skid back instead of dropping the case. Easier mod, though I don't know what you do about track length... Turn a 136 into a 144??

As for snow buildup on climbs, I have a bone stock sled, and my only complaint is snow in the running boards where my feet are trying to be. Never noticed snow piling up in the track or tunnel if I keep it moving.

Just my $.02.
C

Premium Features