• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric chainsaws?

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Does anyone own or use one of these? Im thinking about a remington 16" electric chainsaw. I don't have to cut much wood just enough for camping in the summer.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Definetly a cheap and easy way to go for you purpose. I have chopped entire trees down with same saw .My gas saws where always a pain becuse I didnt use them enough the electric just works.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I bought one of the 18 volt ones for pruning with a 12' extension on it. Great little work horse and would be ideal for camping. I forgot to lock my bucket truck one day and when I got back from lunch it was gone! Freakin bastages. I went out and bought another.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Isn't there a "man law" about electric chainsaws? :face-icon-small-blu

Something about scooters and fat chicks I think....... but maybe electric chainsaws are in there too! :face-icon-small-hap

man 1 uses electric chainsaw and quickly completes the task and puts his 79.00 saw back on the shelf.

man 2 f**ks with his gummed up gas chainsaw tha was last used 2 years ago until he is totally pissed and goes and spends 179.00 on a saw that works! 3 hours later man 2 finally finishes the job

Meanwhile man 1 has been in the tent rattling the old ladies stovepipes "camping style" and drinking beer for 2.5 hours

man rule #1 KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!:face-icon-small-hap

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I just honestly cant see myself ever using one.. they just seem kinda goofy to me... But I cut a decent bit of wood during the year, so a decent sized gasser is neccasary, and you cant have to big of a saw for cutting camp wood. it just goes faster!!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well if your gonna use an electric chain saw just to cut a bit of camping wood in the summer why don;t you then just get a good quality recipocating saw and then you have something you can make good use of elsewhere

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
man 1 uses electric chainsaw and quickly completes the task and puts his 79.00 saw back on the shelf.

man 2 f**ks with his gummed up gas chainsaw tha was last used 2 years ago until he is totally pissed and goes and spends 179.00 on a saw that works! 3 hours later man 2 finally finishes the job

Meanwhile man 1 has been in the tent rattling the old ladies stovepipes "camping style" and drinking beer for 2.5 hours

man rule #1 KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!:face-icon-small-hap

Agreed. The handle mounted electric chain saws are pretty good. My dad uses them to trim up a bunch of trees. Just put the generator on a little trailer, pull it with a lawn mower, and away you go. They always work, and they are much lighter then the gas ones too.

You can even take them off the handle and you can use it like a regular chain saw.

If you only need one a couple times a year, and you have power nearby, I don't see that there is anything wrong with them.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
well if your gonna use an electric chain saw just to cut a bit of camping wood in the summer why don;t you then just get a good quality recipocating saw and then you have something you can make good use of elsewhere

I have done that a lot, especially when cutting roots out to remove a stump. You can just shove the blade into the dirt and cut away, and not have to worry about ruining a good chainsaw blade touching rocks or dirt.

The reciprocating saw blades don't cut as fast though, at least I haven't found a blade that does. Also, the saw blades can get gummed up sometimes too. Just my experience.. as that is what I use all the time for trimming trees.

Last edited:
T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
if you cut wood by the house or carry a generator they would work.
but who wants to take a generator camping? if you used the saw enough you wouldn't have the gummed up issues. but for boys work around the house they would work. but for real wood cutting (mans work)i will take my stihl.:hurt:

tim

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
if you cut wood by the house or carry a generator they would work.
but who wants to take a generator camping?

Depends what you call camping.. most people have generators for their rv's...

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Thats why i have generators is for camping. And mine are small enough i can pick it up with one hand and carry it.

B
Jan 15, 2010
steamboatsprings co.
electric saw c mon.

in the past i have over 14 years of tree work behind me from loggin to beutification,i own 2 huskys ones an 86 model that thing starts every summer no prob,get agood saw,if you can get your sled runnin every year whats different about a chainsaw.

Premium Features