• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Asking for riders' input about winter non-motorized areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
The current reality is that we both have legitimate uses that are incompatible. Three of us got first tracks in January down a slope in an area open to snowmobiles. At the bottom we met fourteen snowmobile riders, mostly middle aged and into their 60s. We enjoyed chatting, like other snowmobile riders they were just normal good folks. They were after powder, they had an equal right to it. We took 45 minutes to walk up the deep powder slope, but it was made a bit easier walking up as the fourteen riders packed it into trenched paths and enjoyed lapping it up and down on either side of us. However, the slope was then ruined for skiing downhill. They were just having fun, we met them again on top and chatted. But it is daunting to have that much mass and horsepower zipping up and down the powder slope that you are climbing. I think they were friendly and meant nothing ill toward us, but it was daunting to be a pedestrian in that traffic, and I do not believe that a rider realizes the effect when passing a skier. Oh, then we got first tracks on the next ridge, soon the snowmobiles followed our tracks again, the scenario was repeated.

We need USFS Management of the limited resource- powder snow and open slopes. We need USFS Management of incompatible winter recreational uses by the creation of new and significant winter non-motorized areas.

Thank you.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
The current reality is that we both have legitimate uses that are incompatible. Three of us got first tracks in January down a slope in an area open to snowmobiles. At the bottom we met fourteen snowmobile riders, mostly middle aged and into their 60s. We enjoyed chatting, like other snowmobile riders they were just normal good folks. They were after powder, they had an equal right to it. We took 45 minutes to walk up the deep powder slope, but it was made a bit easier walking up as the fourteen riders packed it into trenched paths and enjoyed lapping it up and down on either side of us. However, the slope was then ruined for skiing downhill. They were just having fun, we met them again on top and chatted. But it is daunting to have that much mass and horsepower zipping up and down the powder slope that you are climbing. I think they were friendly and meant nothing ill toward us, but it was daunting to be a pedestrian in that traffic, and I do not believe that a rider realizes the effect when passing a skier. Oh, then we got first tracks on the next ridge, soon the snowmobiles followed our tracks again, the scenario was repeated.

We need USFS Management of the limited resource- powder snow and open slopes. We need USFS Management of incompatible winter recreational uses by the creation of new and significant winter non-motorized areas.

Thank you.

So basically your saying you want to take already SEVERELY limited snowmobile usage areas and make them even smaller... :face-icon-small-con
I severely doubt your going to find any proponents for that cause here. I also fail to see what can be gained by posting this here?!?! It in no way helps Snowest or any of its users, it fact all it does is negatively impact them by further limiting their riding areas.

Last edited:
Y
Nov 26, 2007
north bend, wa
LAME

Now I see what all the fuss was for several months ago and the creation of the competing site....And to think this site was a major avenue for the creation of SAWS and the participation of tons of people for the SAWS events....I stayed out of it and figured it was just the resistance to change...but my blind eye now sees....10 years of good times and great info terminated....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
the sad thing is I was ready to drop the money for the membership....Now I'd rather drink it up and let it out on a dead stump....

you might should try the other place you mentioned....quite a fun place... I sure enjoy it...

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I guess I dont understand why you would want a group thats clearly Anti snowmobiling posting their rhetoric in your State forum? They answer none of the questions that you guys asked... nor will they, in no uncertain terms, clearly state why they are here or what there agenda is... And trust me they DO have a reason for being here other than personal enjoyment or they wouldn't be here.

It was pretty clear to me that their position was they wanted to take the limited land that was allocated to sledders in Washington now as it is and put further non Motorized designation on it reducing even more riding area for you guys...

I felt the thread was on the verge of turning and a judgment call was made. As a moderator your decisions may not always be the most popular nor do they always make everyone happy. The thread can be brought back if I you have a reason why you want me to do so. I have to wonder why though?

Last edited:
H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
x2 yammadog is right and you are just a puzzy

just like that fellow sheep 2112

JUST MY OPINION

IT IS MODS LIKE YOU THAT HAVE RUINED THIS SITE!!!

i am sure you will delete this instead of discussing it as you are just as narrow minded as wmc.

pm..me just like 2112 did and we can discuss this.

weeeek effort imo

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
What happened?

The deletion of threads and posts have gotten out of hand.

It's why my avitar used to say "permission to post in your thread?" Mods deleteing posts because "they wanted to suprise users later??" My post let the cat out of a bag and I didn't even know it. This did happen.

Posts like "LMAO (member) installing his pistons backwards" being deleted. This did happen

Especially a mod that doesn't know the difference betwteen hear and here. Something needs to happen around here. Too many people with power who don't know what to doo with it!

This place has about 75% too many moderators. You guys can bash the other site all you want.

But what's really nice over there is i can say, "Polaris did build a 935 in 2007 but they discontinued it when they discontinued production of the 900" WITHOUT it being deleted by a moderator!!!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
just like that fellow sheep 2112

JUST MY OPINION

IT IS MODS LIKE YOU THAT HAVE RUINED THIS SITE!!!

i am sure you will delete this instead of discussing it as you are just as narrow minded as wmc.

pm..me just like 2112 did and we can discuss this.

weeeek effort imo

The topic is back up. Posts to your hearts content.

As for the rest of it... You've expressed your feelings quite clearly as it is. Im going to leave it at that.

Last edited:
W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for the try Snowest, but I thought the discussion was moving along. You guys' passion is understandable, you did not make me cry yet... (joke)

Believe it or not, the future of snowmobiling in WA, to our knowledge from USFS sources, will involve the type of management that we seek regardless of whether WMC ever existed. Should snowmobile riders enter the discussion (note discussion, pissing matches just look bad to the folks that make the rules)? Maybe you guys should talk about this and try to keep it in your interest as much as possible. Or perhaps you could make some valid points. yes, we have a position that we believe in, we like to explian it. We did not come here to surrender, or cause a fight, but to try to talk in a civil fashion that respects each others' uses.

And Mr Moderator, WMC rides snowmobiles (lame fans, yea) about 40 days per year- to go ski backcountry- and our members skitour from 30 to 100 days per season. Only one of our group is very negative about snowmobiles at all, most of us use them. WMC has never advocated shutting out snowmobiles, nor are we against snowmobiles riding offroad.

Our point is, there is not enough to go around, new snowmobiles perform like never before so we see you guys having fun and getting more and more slopes that we ski. So, we want a share reserved, we only climb at a rate on skis of 100 or 2000 vert per hour, you guys do that in a minute. We are asking for a significant area, but we ask for our share. And this Forest Management will be allocated by USFS anyway, not by WMC.

As it is, Snowest just gave me something for the WMC side to take to USFS.

So, WMC is here inviting you guys to talk, and yes, USFS is following Forums with this discussion so talk like you are talking to USFS for your own interest.

What if, after we get over yelling at each other, we started to understand some things about each other? Even slimmer odds, what if we worked something out to take to USFS together? Dream big?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The thread in question has been restored, feel free to continue respectfully as you all were earlier.

Your comments and opinions do matter, don't think that they go unheard.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I felt the thread was on the verge of turning and a judgment call was made. As a moderator your decisions may not always be the most popular nor do they always make everyone happy. The thread can be brought back if I you have a reason why you want me to do so. I have to wonder why though?

Please be reactive and not proactive. If people get out of line, then nuke the posts, don't nuke the thread. WMC is doing more to help our cause then anything. He is getting snowmobilers active in forest management and interested in their local riding areas.

Don't worry mon, take it easy..

W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
Dang it, I already emailed USFS that this was closed.

Thanks Snowest, I thought the discussion was moving along. You guys' passion is understandable, you did not make me cry yet... (joke)

Believe it or not, the future of snowmobiling in WA, to our knowledge from USFS sources, will involve the type of management that we seek regardless of whether WMC ever existed. Should snowmobile riders enter the discussion (note discussion, pissing matches just look bad to the folks that make the rules)? Maybe you guys should talk about this and try to keep it in your interest as much as possible. Or perhaps you could make some valid points. Yes, we have a position that we believe in, we like to explian it. We did not come here to surrender, or cause a fight, but to try to talk in a civil fashion that respects each others' uses.

And Mr Moderator, WMC rides snowmobiles (lame fans, yea, but one guy has a nice liquid cooled sled) about 40 days per year- to go ski backcountry- and our members skitour from 30 to 100 days per season. Only one of our group is very negative about snowmobiles at all, most of us use them. WMC has never advocated shutting out snowmobiles except in non-motorized areas and also our proposed new areas, nor are we against snowmobiles riding offroad.

Our point is, there is not enough to go around, new snowmobiles perform like never before so we see you guys having fun and getting more and more slopes that we ski. So, we want a share reserved, we only climb at a rate on skis of 1000 or 2000 vert per hour, you guys do that in a minute. We are asking for a significant area, but we ask for our share. And this Forest Management will be allocated by USFS anyway, not by WMC.

So, WMC is here inviting you guys to talk, and yes, USFS is following Forums with this discussion so talk like you are talking to USFS for your own interest.

What if, after we get over yelling at each other, we started to understand some things about each other? Even slimmer odds, what if we worked something out to take to USFS together? Dream big?

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
As for the rest of it... You've expressed your feelings quite clearly as it is. Im going to leave it at that.

Man up and learn to disengage... it is hurly. He has a big mouth and likes to use it.. don't worry mon, take it easy mon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features